Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Rear Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I have an issue that needs some help. I’ve replaced all 4 door handles at least once on my 2015 Model S. I know about the new models and have the most recent in place.
The issue is that the rear door handle presents but never opens. But this also happens from the interior handle where the latch doesn’t release. From there I replaced the wiring harnesses which fixed the window issues but the release still isn’t working. The manual cable release works but not from the inside or outside handle.

Any suggestions? Is there a motor that needs to be triggered that’s not responding? And Tesla service is a joke in that they wanted to replace the outside handle, which they did 6 months ago… HELP

So today I just replaced my drives master window switch, as part of that procedure I had to obviously take the door panel off. On my 2013 I had a manual cable that attached to the back of the interior door handle. Is this the same on the rear door of your car? If so I can only assume your rear door not opening is from the breaking or coming loose of that cable or that it may not have been re connected in a previous repair.

Your rear door latch actuator could be broken. Latch is in the body panel itself so there's no cable running from interior door handle.

Screenshot_20230212_082354_Chrome.jpg

Reactions: ACS.
Your rear door latch actuator could be broken. Latch is in the body panel itself so there's no cable running from interior door handle.

View attachment 906322
The actuator makes sense as the interior and exterior handle are not working. Now I need to look at how to replace this as it seems unintuitive as to how to access. At least I’ve not yet figured it out. Many thanks!

Reactions: ACS.
Hello all. I have an issue that needs some help. I’ve replaced all 4 door handles at least once on my 2015 Model S. I know about the new models and have the most recent in place.
The issue is that the rear door handle presents but never opens. But this also happens from the interior handle where the latch doesn’t release. From there I replaced the wiring harnesses which fixed the window issues but the release still isn’t working. The manual cable release works but not from the inside or outside handle.

Any suggestions? Is there a motor that needs to be triggered that’s not responding? And Tesla service is a joke in that they wanted to replace the outside handle, which they did 6 months ago… HELP
I have the same problem. I just posted today.
The actuator makes sense as the interior and exterior handle are not working. Now I need to look at how to replace this as it seems unintuitive as to how to access. At least I’ve not yet figured it out. Many thanks!
2015 MS rear left Gen 3 handle presents but door will not open from inside or outside. A Tesla Ranger I met at a supercharger did me a favour and went into my car system with his computer and could find a fix. My attempted solution yesterday I replaced the actuator with another used one. It did not work within the first 10 mins. Being disappointed I resorted to the Tesla service App. I put in a service request and explanation of the new actuator and asked for any pointers. Then I put the car into Service Mode on the main screen. Soon after those two events the door did open properly and flawlessly. I became curious so I reinstalled the old existing actuator it also worked flawlessly. Lots of ??? As to why it decided to finally work. Becoming satisfied it was working I then reinstalled the new used one and it kept working continuously during those final tries. I was pleased. I then went for a 25km drive and tried the door again and it did not work and has not work since. I am back to square one. I will take out the Gen 3 door handle module and inspect it. Meanwhile I applied into Tesla Service App again explaining this situation and asking for any pointers. The reality is there are lots of door handle issues on new and old modules and the explanations vary. Hopefully these can become ironed out.

Guys don’t waste your money on anything. I have the exact same problem. The cause is broken wires from front left kick panel into the driver door.

You can test by having the front door ajar slightly then try rear doors, then door ajar all the way and try rear doors and windows. It will be intermittent because the loose cables are making contact

I did a cheap fix by cutting open the waterproof grommet between the door and kick panel to expose the wires. But first remove the “front left door” and “ front window” fuse.

Once u cut open the grommet …just wiggle the wires around. I found 3 wires that’s just came apart. Resolder them and have heat shrink tubes to protect the wires when done.

All is well so far.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ