Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Rear Facing Seat Cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FOUND IT !! Hey Supratachophobia, did I do good? I was looking through old urls that I had saved of interesting devices and found the AirTainment Console. Cool, huh? Did I score points?
Tesla AirTainment Console for Rear Facing Child Seats - Ventilation, Tablet Mount, and Dual USB Ports ****Patent Pending****

Very clever. I can't find the link or reference to it. But a couple of years ago someone invented a add-on center console that mounted into the foot well of the RFS and went between the kids feet. It had a fan and scoop that sucked air in from the rear seat area, down and back up towards their faces. He intended to make more than just his prototype. I've not seen anything on it since, but who knows it might still be available. As I recall he was asking some where between $350 and 400 for this device. I'm sorry, but I can't remember which forum it was on - TM or TMC.

Ok, so Stage 2 update time. Even though Stage 1 was a resounding success, why stop there? Although if my goal was to given the children frostbite.... we may have succeeded:
IMG_20170502_204023.jpg

IMG_20170502_204750.jpg

This is a single peltier attached to a liquid CPU cooler. Keep in mind that the hot side of the peltier is *only* being cooled by a radiator using ambient air.

Will do!

I ended up using 60mm Delta AFB0612EH fans. I spent hours on the Delta Fan site comparing different CFM/DBA combos. This fan seemed like a great compromise. I tried a 80mm tornado for testing which is the 2nd highest CFM consumer fan that is produced and it was just too loud. The 60mm Delta's are rated at 40cfm and 45dba. They are also rated at 13.8v which tells me they are probably safer for automotive use. If we remember our car audio 101, auto voltage can get as high as 14.2-4v and I have seen 14v coming from the Tesla 12v battery before. All that being said, those fans are 25mm thickness and I just ordered the 38mm Delta model that is found in the Dell Power Edge 2800 servers. They have about 40% more CFM but only 15 more DBA.

The larger the fan diameter the lower the noise per CFM (lower RPMs to move the same amount of air). Can you fit a 100mm, 120mm or 140mm fan in there?

I'm sure that'd mean making new shrouds if you want the best possible sound levels but the difference could be quite significant.

• Informative
Reactions: supratachophobia
I too have the 3rd row seats but my kid hated sitting there in the summer time because it is too hot. I thought of putting a fan by the 2nd row head rest but it sucked in long hair and didn’t end up pretty. Maybe w can route an air duct under the 2nd row seat somehow and have it come up the side...

Love the speaker fan solution, looking to see progress.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
The larger the fan diameter the lower the noise per CFM (lower RPMs to move the same amount of air). Can you fit a 100mm, 120mm or 140mm fan in there?

I'm sure that'd mean making new shrouds if you want the best possible sound levels but the difference could be quite significant.
60mm fit no problem. 80mm were very very tight, and for the 25mm thickness models required that they actually be mounted half inside the hole. Rather than deal with cutting the trim, I chose the 60's.

Did a final solution ever come of this? Have an instructable to build it out and keep it looking somewhat stock?
The final solution, unfortunately, is just the basic airflow. The whole peltier setup with wiring and hoses and everything fits, BUT there just isn't a way to get that waste heat from the radiator, outside of the car, which means you are just relocating heat to somewhere else in the rear hatch. You *might* be able to mount the radiator to the vents in the fender wells, but then you'd have to relocate the whole cooling setup anyway or risk having wires/hoses running from the hatch and outside of the trim panels; and by that point of planning, I lamely gave up anyway.

• Helpful
Reactions: davidc18
I have a pretty ghetto solution but it seems to work. Strapping two fans to the back seat headrest. They won’t clip on so I have to use elastic bands. Will test it out with the kids tomorrow.

Attachments

• AE891A40-AA57-4D1A-B848-5DAFA3D2062B.jpeg
    AE891A40-AA57-4D1A-B848-5DAFA3D2062B.jpeg
    323.2 KB · Views: 230
  • FF7A210F-E19E-41DB-B57F-BBAF7808D12F.jpeg
    FF7A210F-E19E-41DB-B57F-BBAF7808D12F.jpeg
    335.3 KB · Views: 209
The air exits through one way flaps that are in those cubbies to the left and right of the footwell for the RFS. When I pulled the side carpet/trim, I found the soundproofing had come unglued and was blocking the vents.

First, venting out these existing ports is easy and should be the default solution. It also explains why Teslas guidance is to turn off recirculate on the main AC, to help cool the RFS.

If anyone thinks there RFS are extra warm, I would remove the side trim and check the vents aren’t obstructed.

Attachments

• 70C9AB15-10B9-4A2F-B1AB-20515514BBEA.jpeg
    70C9AB15-10B9-4A2F-B1AB-20515514BBEA.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 200
  • E23E1246-7703-4D9E-8D4E-DB957DD9BF89.jpeg
    E23E1246-7703-4D9E-8D4E-DB957DD9BF89.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 211