Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Rear Facing Seat Cooling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
would that get it to the exhaust ports, though? perhaps some duct work back there could make this a great solution
In theory, if you cut holes in the bottom hatch and the corresponding rear deck, you'd force air down in there and it would everyday make it to the vents. Might be easier to just put exhaust fans directly on the vets though to pull the air the rest of the way.

Um. Are you all kidding about cutting the hatch and rear deck? I’m not sure, but hope so.

The existing vent ports are behind the wheel wells on the left and right side. There are openings in the trim to allow airflow, but adding a fan directly on one of the ports might help pull more cabin air into the hatch zone.

But, as I posted before, the vents seem to get blocked by some soundproofing that comes unglued. Check that first, second and third...

People, I think I found a pretty good solution that is super easy and tested to be effective. I bought 2 battery clip on fans from Amazon and they clip perfectly to the lip of the headrest on the 3rd row seat. They effectively pull the cooler main cabin air to the back and looks perfectly ok. Get a long USB cord and route them around the side of the seats and under the floor mat to the USB portion the rear if needed. Just unclip then and toss them to the back of the seats when not in use.

I had car rides of over an hour in 30c weather and no one complained. Main cabin set at 21C.

OPOLAR Battery Clip on Fan, Powered by USB or 2200mAh Rechargeable Battery, 360 Adjustable Wind, Personal Clip or Desk Fan with 3 Speeds, Multi Versatile for Office, Car, Baby Stroller and Outdoor
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XC2TY1H/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_icCjBb7YAZ90Z

Attachments

• 20DABF9A-8564-43FE-ADF2-171AD21B00C8.jpeg
    20DABF9A-8564-43FE-ADF2-171AD21B00C8.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 280
  • 117FDFDA-7A5E-4D68-ACB1-D5EFF17F25B9.jpeg
    117FDFDA-7A5E-4D68-ACB1-D5EFF17F25B9.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 244
  • Informative
Reactions: gt2690b
People, I think I found a pretty good solution that is super easy and tested to be effective. I bought 2 battery clip on fans from Amazon and they clip perfectly to the lip of the headrest on the 3rd row seat. They effectively pull the cooler main cabin air to the back and looks perfectly ok. Get a long USB cord and route them around the side of the seats and under the floor mat to the USB portion the rear if needed. Just unclip then and toss them to the back of the seats when not in use.

I had car rides of over an hour in 30c weather and no one complained. Main cabin set at 21C.

OPOLAR Battery Clip on Fan, Powered by USB or 2200mAh Rechargeable Battery, 360 Adjustable Wind, Personal Clip or Desk Fan with 3 Speeds, Multi Versatile for Office, Car, Baby Stroller and Outdoor
Wow! How does this impact your view out the back using the rear view mirror?

The air exits through one way flaps that are in those cubbies to the left and right of the footwell for the RFS. When I pulled the side carpet/trim, I found the soundproofing had come unglued and was blocking the vents.

First, venting out these existing ports is easy and should be the default solution. It also explains why Teslas guidance is to turn off recirculate on the main AC, to help cool the RFS.

If anyone thinks there RFS are extra warm, I would remove the side trim and check the vents aren’t obstructed.

Amazing! So if I use those “cubbies” to store “stuff” (charging cable, etc) with the kids in the back, would it block the airflow??

Wow! How does this impact your view out the back using the rear view mirror?
The impact is small, as you can see through the fans. Honestly, you don’t need to read the licence plate of the cars behind you, but need to know there presence, which the fans don’t interfere with.

I highly recommend this, low cost, no cutting and effective.

• Love
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Nice but how do you power it without a cigarette lighter plug in the trunk of the S? Our X has one but doesn’t help here...
You get a 10’ USB cable and run the wire to the side by the door, under the rear floor mats to the 2 USB plugs to the rear center. These fans don’t use the cigar 12v, they plug into USB and had a battery with about 2 hr run time backup. The wire routing is relatively seamless.

• Love
You get a 10’ USB cable and run the wire to the side by the door, under the rear floor mats to the 2 USB plugs to the rear center. These fans don’t use the cigar 12v, they plug into USB and had a battery with about 2 hr run time backup. The wire routing is relatively seamless.
Or tie into the rear defroster 12v.....
Then turn on with the touch-screen....
Mind blown....

Um. Are you all kidding about cutting the hatch and rear deck? I’m not sure, but hope so.

The existing vent ports are behind the wheel wells on the left and right side. There are openings in the trim to allow airflow, but adding a fan directly on one of the ports might help pull more cabin air into the hatch zone.

But, as I posted before, the vents seem to get blocked by some soundproofing that comes unglued. Check that first, second and third...
Not really kidding if it helps. The rear hatch base is actually hollow underneath. Much like the door defroster ducts in some luxury cars, you could make a "mated" duct between the hatch trim and the deck trim. I think you are underestimating how desperate some of us are.

That’s close to my set up I use this it uses D batteries but last a really really long time

Attachments

• 4D5AE720-0F28-47F7-B52E-DEA909DE39D2.jpeg
    4D5AE720-0F28-47F7-B52E-DEA909DE39D2.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 233
Reactions: supratachophobia

I haven't dug back there yet but i have a subwoofer in mine.. any idea what that does to the vent ports (seems like in your picture the sub is right on top of them)? when i get a free day i will be pulling the carpet back and seeing for myself

incidently.. if the soundproofing often blocks the ports this seems like a recall situation

Last edited:
  • Informative
Actually I'm beginning to see the practicality of just using fans on the headrest of rear facing seats because the manual fresh air mode on my car is loud and does not cool well enough.. is that common for all teslas? probably a question for another HVAC thread
I can’t say for the ineffectiveness of the fresh air mode, but I can say that clipping fans on the rear seat headrest works well.

Reactions: gt2690b
I haven't dug back there yet but i have a subwoofer in mine.. any idea what that does to the vent ports (seems like in your picture the sub is right on top of them)?

The sub sits in front of the carpet. On one side. There are identical vents on each side. Anyway, There is a couple of inches (for wires and such) behind the carpet. The path for air seems complicated - enters the cavity fairly high, like near where the charging port is. If you put your head in the hatch and look, you will notice some openings in the carpet.

• Informative