Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S rear rattle/clunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello fellow members,

I have a Model S 2015 AP1 with a rattle/clunk coming from the back. It especially appears on bumpy/uneven roads and block paving roads. The rattle/clunk is most present at the rear driver side and slightly at the rear passenger side. Furthermore, the rattle/clunk is present when the vehicle’s suspension is “normal” but the rattle/clunk increases when I change the suspension to “high”.

The following parts are replaced without any results, unfortunately.

- All rear control arms
- Rear swaybar
- Rear swaybar end links both sides
- Both rear parking brakes including the braking pads
- Braking pads of both rear calipers

Also:
- Applied proper grease according to service manual and shimmed any radial slack on brake pads to ensure they are 100% rattle free. Also brake pad anti rattle clips are in good shape.
- Checked the air suspension strut on both sides if they are attached properly to the chassis.

Does someone recognizes the rattle/clunk or has any idea to solve this?

Please see the clip, in particular the parts:
- 0:22-0:26
- 0:42-1:20
- 1:43-1:49
- 1:59-2:04
- 2:13-2:27

Hmm, that sounds like the passenger seatbelt buckle hasn’t slid down to its resting position and is tapping off the centre column.

Failing that, get someone else to drive the car and you sit in the back until you find the culprit.

• Helpful
Reactions: ICUDoc
Interesting, I have the same noise in my car, it does sound like a seatbelt buckle tapping against the trim. Mine seems to be worse turning left, noise is from rear left (RHD Model S 2018) Tesla checked all play in suspension and confirmed all good. How much is an air strut 🙄

That is an internal issue with one or both of the rear air struts. My 2014 P85D has it on the driver side. Sounds like stacking plastic cups. What model do you have and what is the build date?
Car was a 2015 85D, after switching the rear strut assembly the noise was gone. I opened the affected rear strut to see what was causing the noise. There was a tiny bit of slack on the shaft of the shock absorber but not much. It's also hard to check since it will retract itself when you pull it.

To make sure issue was in inside the shock absorber itself I swapped the affected shock into another air bellow I had laying around and mounted it back to the car and then the noise continued so for 100% issue was inside the shock absorber itself.

if only Tesla just would sell them seperate...

Partnr of affected rear strut assembly was 6006352-06-B / 6006353-06-B

So far C revision looks not affected, this version also has other stickers on the shock absorber itself so they did some changes to the shocks internally compared to B revision.

If turning the car on high makes the sound worser is a good indicator it could be the strut assembly.

For sound comparison see post #1

Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: blodg1