Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL S REAR REFRESH FEB 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way. For starters there are no Model S being delivered to Europe now and by all accounts it will be close to a year before any are.

Second, they’re all built at the same factory on the same production line. No way Tesla is building two different versions of the car at the same time and maintaining two parts supply chains.
Redesign was specifically for Europe and CCS adapter requirements, so they could begin production. We have discussed this before. We will see.

Reactions: GeorgeSymonds
Redesign was specifically for Europe and CCS adapter requirements, so they could begin production. We have discussed this before. We will see.
There may be an additional redesign for Europe as far as charge port doors/charge ports go. That’s not outlandish. I just find it hard to believe that the USA doesn’t get updated head/tail lights pretty soon. The S headlights are pretty unsafe in inclement conditions compared to modern headlights. It’s a really staggering difference.

No way. For starters there are no Model S being delivered to Europe now and by all accounts it will be close to a year before any are.

Second, they’re all built at the same factory on the same production line. No way Tesla is building two different versions of the car at the same time and maintaining two parts supply chains.
Why not? Tesla was producing on the same line in Fremont Model S and X with an additional Chargeport for China... Without saying that the Headlights for EU are different from the US one due to regulation. The changes in the Taillight is to accomodate the CCS-2 port that is mandatory for DC in Europe to get the homolgation (same as EU Model 3 and Y). It will for sure also end up in US, but I doubt you will ever get CCS port in USA...

Why not? Tesla was producing on the same line in Fremont Model S and X with an additional Chargeport for China... Without saying that the Headlights for EU are different from the US one due to regulation. The changes in the Taillight is to accomodate the CCS-2 port that is mandatory for DC in Europe to get the homolgation (same as EU Model 3 and Y). It will for sure also end up in US, but I doubt you will ever get CCS port in USA...

I don’t find a regionally different charge port to be an equivalent differentiation to relatively significant body changes to the rear of the car.

They will switch the body changes all at once, even if the charge ports remain different.

I don’t think the prior gen S/X headlights were any different between EU/US. The taillights had minor changes due to the EU requirement of amber turn signals, but that’s about it.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one looking at the comparisons and going...."so what"?

They look similar, I don't see what the big fuss is about. The taillights in my 2017 S work the same as my wife's 2021 Y and I don't think I have thought about it more than this 1 minute of reviewing this thread.

Why is this such a big deal?
Some if us are just tired of seeing a 2012 (designed in 2010) model S rear after ohhh a decade lol. It’s one of those exterior features that has now dated the car while another auto manufacturers have surpassed Model S in light designs. It’s about time given the cost of an S and given ALL other Teslas models are new led style. Model X from 2016 …even give it that one if they don’t want to spend the $ on a full redesign. Model 3 from 2018, Model Y from 2020…it’s astounding the S lights are what they are still. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Reactions: mikemi and Maaz
If it is
Some if us are just tired of seeing a 2012 (designed in 2010) model S rear…
Others of us never cared for the look of the rear strip overlaying the taillights even when it was new. This was one of the first things I modified on my car when new. I will likely even retrofit these new 2022 taillights even if the new lights didn’t have better LEDs.

what did you do? Any pics?
20 somethings refer to it as murdering my car. My car is gloss black so I wrapped all the 2017 chrome in matching gloss black wrap. For the tail strip, I got a new one and disassembled the embossed “Tesla” lettering. I actually oversanded it by a fraction of a millimeter, so if you look really closely, you can see the indented Tesla lettering, but to anyone but me I’m sure it looks blank.

To give you an idea as to how minimalist I like stuff, do you notice how the S has an embossed plaque on the lower interior part of the door frame? Not mine. Matching matte black.

Saw one of these in person with manufacturer plates:
7F03B746-2377-46A7-B9BF-9104E729B40E.jpeg
C0F60AA2-D154-410F-AB82-F991BCF35181.jpeg

Did you happen to take any photos of the front? Curious if it has the new headlights.
Those were the only couple I took sorry… I glanced at the headlights and they looked not too different from what I remembered
What about the other side with the charge port?
Shoot, I forgot that was another potential difference and did not take any photos from that side 🤦🏼‍♂️

And Tesla doesn't do updates based on model year.

Damn! They look amazing!
Do they? They look… like tail lights to me. Not particularly different than the current ones.

I mean, we can hope that they have new innards so we don’t have to drive around in a constant state of disappointment thinking about how the people behind us can see the light emanating from individual LEDs and assuming we’re filthy poors because of it.

But in the daylight, they just took like normal ass tail lights. It amuses me that people are so amped about this.