Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MODEL S REAR REFRESH FEB 2022

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow what a disappointment. Initially I thought this was a major improvement but with these new images I think the redesign looks worse now. The body color "rear appliqué" looks more out of place than the chrome or black versions did somehow. How is this an improvement? I'm getting Honda Accord vibes and just a lack of styling in general.

Reactions: -DB- and jaguar36
I have to say, while the lights probably look cooler being more blended/less LED like, I think I like the old design better. The black Tesla bar looks sharp on the new 2021/2022s really. I like it a lot on the white 2022 MS we have, better than this more body colored version coming out...
Perhaps they might leave the Tesla bar black on the Plaids?

Whether we like it or not, the changes are coming and will be the new look for the S.

Reactions: WilliamG
One can always wrap the bar satin or gloss black I suppose to match the window and handles as the older 21’ style 🤷🏽‍♂️

I think they would have been better with no bar whatsoever…cleaner. But that would require redoing their entire trunk lid.

This seems like a slapped together solution without much aesthetic thought. They truly didn’t remake the rear into something more modern ish other than the led strip. It actually looks like an afterthought.

One can always wrap the bar satin or gloss black I suppose to match the window and handles as the older 21’ style 🤷🏽‍♂️

I think they would have been better with no bar whatsoever…cleaner. But that would require redoing their entire trunk lid.

This seems like a slapped together solution without much aesthetic thought. They truly didn’t remake the rear into something more modern ish other than the led strip. It actually looks like an afterthought.

Yeah it would’ve been so much better without the appliqué bar which looks completely pointless.

Looks like a simple retrofit for current MS owners honestly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla offered it to people with refresh cars for a price.

The fact that they didn’t even redesign the trunk lid is hilarious. I hope they at least changed the third brake light to a solid LED bar.

Looks like a simple retrofit for current MS owners honestly.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tesla offered it to people with refresh cars for a price.

The fact that they didn’t even redesign the trunk lid is hilarious. I hope they at least changed the third brake light to a solid LED bar.
AFAIK, if they did change the lid, not only would they have to recalibrate their stamping machines and shut down the lines for longer, but it's possible that they would re-crash test it as well, as the actual sheetmetal would be different. Not worth the time/effort for this type of change that happens when the lines are already running. Later, if they shut the lines down for longer, it may behoove them at that point to do redo the trunk lid.

Reactions: Freshness
AFAIK, if they did change the lid, not only would they have to recalibrate their stamping machines and shut down the lines for longer, but it's possible that they would re-crash test it as well, as the actual sheetmetal would be different. Not worth the time/effort for this type of change that happens when the lines are already running. Later, if they shut the lines down for longer, it may behoove them at that point to do redo the trunk lid.

You’re right but let’s not be so forgiving to them.

God forbid they shut down the production line to redesign a 10 year old car.

That being said, I picked up my S about two weeks ago. So I am glad I’m not missing out on much!

You’re right but let’s not be so forgiving to them.

God forbid they shut down the production line to redesign a 10 year old car.

That being said, I picked my S about two weeks ago. So I am glad I’m not missing out on much!
Totally agree! Let’s not retool on our flagship vehicle but instead slap together a bandaid. I think Elon has directed the them to not spend any extra $ on this as MS and MX are not the bread butter of the company. Just do what you can to make it refreshed and move on. He has so many other twigs in the fire right now. The time for retooling was when they updated the inside and wider fenders outside.

Reactions: Freshness
Totally agree! Let’s not retool on our flagship vehicle but instead slap together a bandaid. I think Elon has directed the them to not spend any extra $ on this as MS and MX are not the bread butter of the company. Just do what you can to make it refreshed and move on. He has so many other twigs in the fire right now. The time for retooling was when they updated the inside and wider fenders outside.

I honestly believe that if it wasn’t for different charging standards globally, we probably wouldn’t have seen a change for another 10 years.

Thank goodness for CCS charging because we finally got a taillight update.

Now does anyone know if this car will be CCS or Tesla proprietary for the states?

Last edited:
I currently have a Raven X

I honestly believe that if it wasn’t for different charging standards globally, we probably wouldn’t have seen a change for another 10 years.

Thank goodness for CCS charging because we finally got a taillight update.

Now does anyone know if this car will be CCS or Tesla proprietary for the states?
I'm 99.9% sure it will be Tesla proprietary. Makes zero sense to put CCS in the US, as then they would have to make an adapter for their own chargers.

Wow what a disappointment. Initially I thought this was a major improvement but with these new images I think the redesign looks worse now. The body color "rear appliqué" looks more out of place than the chrome or black versions did somehow. How is this an improvement? I'm getting Honda Accord vibes and just a lack of styling in general.
Agree! Looks like *sugar* and I'm super-stoked to be taking delivery this week.