Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S rear trunk well cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LJG0053

Watching the Plaid go by
Oct 6, 2021
Tampa bay Florida
Took delivery of a S about 4 weeks ago.
Is the rear trunk supposed to have a cover to make the floor flat?

Attachments

• 20211115_163141.jpg
    20211115_163141.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 555
I wonder what else new deliveries being made are missing to people that don't know what they are supposed to be getting. Tesla should put in writing everything missing from newly delivered cars. Perhaps new buyers should request this when they take delivery, with a promise that the items will be installed when available.

The 2021 owner's manual also states that all model Ss should have asymmetric tires. Ours doesn't and the service manager at the Columbus store insists that we have the correct tires with no explanation for the discrepancy.
We also do not have a cover for the rear trunk but they did tell us they would let us know when it arrived at the store. We picked up our S on 9/26/21. We have heard nothing since.

The 2021 owner's manual also states that all model Ss should have asymmetric tires. Ours doesn't and the service manager at the Columbus store insists that we have the correct tires with no explanation for the discrepancy.
We also do not have a cover for the rear trunk but they did tell us they would let us know when it arrived at the store. We picked up our S on 9/26/21. We have heard nothing since.
The owner's manual also states that specifications and equipment are subject to change at any time, thus the tires. What bothers me is the missing USB ports, missing rear cargo cover, missing rear well cover, etc. Tesla could say you got the car with what it has, and we don't owe you anything. Hopefully this won't happen, but to have missing items in writing would negate this bad scenario.

The owner's manual also states that specifications and equipment are subject to change at any time, thus the tires. What bothers me is the missing USB ports, missing rear cargo cover, missing rear well cover, etc. Tesla could say you got the car with what it has, and we don't owe you anything. Hopefully this won't happen, but to have missing items in writing would negate this bad scenario.
You seem to be saying that the asymmetric tires don't come under the same consideration as the rest of the items you list. Granted our car did come with tires but they are lesser quality tires than those specified and less expensive. Saving a few dollars on a quality performance vehicle doesn't seem like good customer relations to me. Asymmetric tires are manufactured specifically to improve handling, particularly important in a vehicle with the power of a Model S. Not to be nasty or difficult but don't these other issues you mention appear to be part shortages and/or production errors? What we were told about the rear trunk cover is that it wasn't available at the time but they wanted to get the car out to us, assuring us that we would be getting it in the future.
I sincerely hope that the issues you referred to are addressed to everyones satisfaction but I am disappointed that Tesla reversed its' decision regarding the tires.
I will also mention that we were supposed to have "Active Road Noise Reduction." At least in this case it is stated that it might not be available at delivery. I hope that we all can look forward to having this software update soon.

You seem to be saying that the asymmetric tires don't come under the same consideration as the rest of the items you list. Granted our car did come with tires but they are lesser quality tires than those specified and less expensive. Saving a few dollars on a quality performance vehicle doesn't seem like good customer relations to me. Asymmetric tires are manufactured specifically to improve handling, particularly important in a vehicle with the power of a Model S. Not to be nasty or difficult but don't these other issues you mention appear to be part shortages and/or production errors? What we were told about the rear trunk cover is that it wasn't available at the time but they wanted to get the car out to us, assuring us that we would be getting it in the future.
I sincerely hope that the issues you referred to are addressed to everyones satisfaction but I am disappointed that Tesla reversed its' decision regarding the tires.
I will also mention that we were supposed to have "Active Road Noise Reduction." At least in this case it is stated that it might not be available at delivery. I hope that we all can look forward to having this software update soon.
I think it is likely the asymmetric tires were not available due to shortages and parts disruptions, like the other things missing. I was thankful for you that Tesla only reneged on the tires, when they probably could say the other missing parts were the way Tesla is equipping the Model S now. I think changes like this are horrible, and bad for customer relations, particularly when they are not disclosed to the buyer. They have never stated the missing USB ports many have written about were supposed to be there, and they would put them in later. Apparently, unless a buyer complains something is missing, the missing parts will never be replaced. I worry there may be some other parts that we cannot see that are missing and don't know about. Tesla does a horrible job at managing things like this.

I think it is likely the asymmetric tires were not available due to shortages and parts disruptions, like the other things missing. I was thankful for you that Tesla only reneged on the tires, when they probably could say the other missing parts were the way Tesla is equipping the Model S now. I think changes like this are horrible, and bad for customer relations, particularly when they are not disclosed to the buyer. They have never stated the missing USB ports many have written about were supposed to be there, and they would put them in later. Apparently, unless a buyer complains something is missing, the missing parts will never be replaced. I worry there may be some other parts that we cannot see that are missing and don't know about. Tesla does a horrible job at managing things like this.
Sad, very sad! Tesla is not very good at customer relations - trying to be diplomatic. They need to be better communicators, as we all are aware. Seems like, as solid as their cash flow appears, Tesla could take solid steps in that direction quite easily. An easy fix, but this failure is an obvious way to encourage your competition.
And I can't help but feel that the pressure on the sales and service people is taking its' toll. I keep trying to convince myself that I ask too many questions or want more complete answers but the more I read on the blogs the larger the crowd of people like me appears to be. It's difficult to get sales or service people to respond after the folks at Vehicle Support refer my questions to them. And then, it appears, their knowledge base is not much greater than mine. They are polite when they get around to it but I would stop short of positive, apologetic or friendly. Again, I think it is the pressure and the volume they are presented with as a result of understaffing. Just my opinion. I keep telling myself it's all a result of their fantastic growth and try to grit my teeth and simply be happy about our S.

Reactions: DerbyDave
As to tires, most people buying a Tesla don't care a whole lot about what's on the car at delivery. Those who want long range efficiency will buy long range tires when the original wear out, those who want high speed cornering and racing will go for grip, the fellow who spent his life savings on his new car might be broke enough that he'll live with cheaper off brand tires. The rest will never even think about it.
Most of my previous Teslas came with tires that lasted maybe 20,000 miles, and I waited until I could replace them with Michelins. Worked for me. I don't think Tesla is supposed to ask what kind of a driver you might be and then put on whatever tires you want. I'll be replacing mine in the coming weeks, and my next set will probably get double the mileage of what I've got now, but it's my choice, not Teslas.

Reactions: Vinny860
Took delivery of a S about 4 weeks ago.
Is the rear trunk supposed to have a cover to make the floor flat?
Just took delivery of 2022 Model S LR 2 weeks ago and both the lid for the well and the upper privacy cover are missing. My friend a few houses down the street got his Model S just a week or two prior and both were missing on his car too. If anyone has more info I would be grateful. I don't like leaving the rear storage area uncovered when I have packages (etc.) in it, so I would even buy a third party replacement if I could find one as a bridging solution. It's annoying that Tesla did not say anything about this when the car was delivered to my home. They basically just said "sign these papers" and took off.

Reactions: LJG0053
What gets me is the lack of notification of parts missing that Tesla is aware of. They think some people won't notice and think that is they way the cars are delivered. Open up a ticket on the app and request the missing parts to document them missing. I would require them to provide me a written list of all missing parts since they were sneaking this omission by you. There may be something not obvious or internal that is missing. As far as temporary replacements, I can't offer any suggestions. Others may have some. I am just pissed by Tesla's continued failure to notify customers of missing parts on their new cars at delivery. Seems like some law is being broken here.

Oh Great! I didn't know there is an upper privacy cover! So now my S is missing the well cover and an upper cover. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
You are absolutely right. Tesla should inform the buyer what is missing at the time of delivery.
Tuesday the S goes in for service to replace the drivers side air bag and hopefully the well cover. I will mention the missing upper cover at that time.

Oh Great! I didn't know there is an upper privacy cover! So now my S is missing the well cover and an upper cover. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
You are absolutely right. Tesla should inform the buyer what is missing at the time of delivery.
Tuesday the S goes in for service to replace the drivers side air bag and hopefully the well cover. I will mention the missing upper cover at that time.
I have not actually seen one, but my neighbor who bought a Model S last month had it noted as missing on his delivery invoice.

I wonder what else new deliveries being made are missing to people that don't know what they are supposed to be getting. Tesla should put in writing everything missing from newly delivered cars. Perhaps new buyers should request this when they take delivery, with a promise that the items will be installed when available.
I received my Plaid in December 2021 without mats, hatch back cover and well cover. They sent me a text as the car was being dropped off in front of my house and I was basically told you’ll get ‘‘em when we get ‘em, no ETA. However, they knew most cars were going to be delivered without these items and made no advance notification. Shady dealings. The carpet is not the best quality, so I had to invest in other mats to protect it.

Finally got our trunk well cover 2 days ago. It took Tesla just over 4 months. No big deal I suppose but sad none the less. Got our yolk air bag replaced at the same time - on warranty/recall.
Still waiting for asymmetric tires. Oops, I'm wrong, that's not going to happen. It's just something that they said we were going to get in the owner's manual. Doesn't count as a promise.