TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Recall - Power Steering

Discussion in 'Model S' started by CaliMS, Mar 29, 2018.

1. CaliMS

CaliMS Member

2. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Geesh. The hits just keep coming this week.

3. mblakele

mblakele DON'T PANIC

I was affected by the parking brake recall, and it looks like I should be affected by this one. But I haven't seen anything from Tesla yet, and Recalls Look-up by VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) isn't showing anything.

4. CaliMS

CaliMS Member

Seems pretty breaking news - I tried to get a link from Tesla, but I suspect I am not impacted and did not get the email. Maybe someone who gets it can post it.

5. ahurst

ahurst Member

No email here either. And no recall for parking brake, seat belt or power steering using the VIN look up for me.

6. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Sorry I don't know how to direct you to a thread...
    But there is a long standing one in the "S" forum titled
    "Power Steering Falling Apart."

7. comanchepilot

comanchepilot Member

I had an MB actually being dropped off for recall parts being available which showed up as not having a recall pending. Which seemed unusual.

8. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Of course they fail to mention that Bosch is paying for this so it should have little/no financial impact on Tesla.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  9. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

NO MATERIAL FINANCIAL IMPACT TO TESLA!!!

Bosch will be covering the cost of this recall. But watch the stock drop anyway. Morons.

• Disagree x 1
  10. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I got the email. 2015 P90D vin 114030, 2014 S85 vin 41xxx

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Informative x 2
  11. Gixx1300R

Gixx1300R Member

[​IMG]
    In order to ensure your safety, Tesla will proactively retrofit a power steering component in all Model S vehicles built before April 2016. (No other Tesla vehicles are affected.) There have been no injuries or accidents due to this component, despite accumulating more than a billion miles of driving.
    To be clear, this recall does not apply to any Model X or Model 3 vehicles, only to Model S vehicles built before April 2016.
    We have observed excessive corrosion in the power steering bolts, though only in very cold climates, particularly those that frequently use calcium or magnesium road salts, rather than sodium chloride (table salt). Nonetheless, Tesla plans to replace all early Model S power steering bolts in all climates worldwide to account for the possibility that the vehicle may later be used in a highly corrosive environment.
    If the bolts fail, the driver is still able to steer the car, but increased force is required due to loss or reduction of power assist. This primarily makes the car harder to drive at low speeds and for parallel parking, but does not materially affect control at high speed, where only small steering wheel force is needed.
    Our records show that you own a Model S affected by this voluntary recall. At this time there is no immediate action you need to take and you may continue to drive your Model S. Tesla will contact you to schedule an appointment when parts are available in your region. The retrofit will typically take around an hour.
    Thank you for being a Tesla customer, and we apologize for this inconvenience. If you have any questions, please contact us by phone at (877) 798‑3752 or by email at [email protected].

• Informative x 1
  12. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. ahurst

ahurst Member

Yep. Odd I just got the email as well.

14. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

15. swaltner

swaltner Active Member

If the bolts are replaced before they fail, yes, it's just a matter of replacing the bolts. If the bolts have failed, it's let dirt, grime, sand into the power steering mechanism and the rack needs to be replaced. As I remember, that other "Power Steering falling apart" thread has pictures from people that have had the bolts fail.

• Informative x 1
  16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yep but TSLA will be down tomorrow for sure haha

17. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely. ;)

• Funny x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

We got the notice for both our S’s, the 2015 and my totaled 2013 (which is still listed on my account because Tesla won’t remove it until I get the paperwork from the DMV)

We had a power steering fail on the 2015 last year, so I am guessing this is just catching up with a long standing problem.

19. Kandiru

Kandiru Member

The cocaine addicted whore chasers on Wall Street need to support their luxurious lifestyles.

20. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Yea just realized the markets are closed today lol