Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Recall - Power Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI, just got off phone with Tesla service. Parts won't be available until mid-summer and, even then, recall work will be limited to "winter" areas with later rollout to south and west.

Lol ummm how does that work? Can they really issue a recall and then say “sorry can’t fix it until summer. We hope you have another vehicle or that something doesn’t go wrong with yours in the meantime.”

FYI, just got off phone with Tesla service. Parts won't be available until mid-summer and, even then, recall work will be limited to "winter" areas with later rollout to south and west.
On the one hand, I guess if Bosch is paying, they're probably reliant on Bosch to supply parts -- even if it's just new bolts for most cars.

On the other hand, I'm _still_ waiting for a replacement 10-30 adapter; because I had 2, they put me at the end of the list for the 2nd replacement and...I guess it was a very very long list.

Lol ummm how does that work? Can they really issue a recall and then say “sorry can’t fix it until summer. We hope you have another vehicle or that something doesn’t go wrong with yours in the meantime.”
Airbags were recalled and they still don’t have a fix for one of my cars.

They probably still need to work out the details on bolt type, etc. it’s probably in Bosch’s court.

If one fails, they replace the entire rack. Even if not in warranty.

that happens all the time; on my work vehicle a Ford Escape I've been waiting almost 2 years for the fuel flange parts under recall to be available at the stealership

Saw some yahoo on Twitter suggest the liability per car could be $5000 to remedy this recall. smh... owners are replacing their own with stainless in under an hour for < $20. Easily done in less time during a service visit for anything else. Hard not to be in twice a year for something.

I am stuck in limbo. I received the email about this letter last night. Had an Amtrak booked to pick up our CPO 2015 Model S 85 this Saturday in the Chicago area, and I already sold my other car. My service rep called me this morning and I am told that my delivery must be cancelled because they cannot legally sell me a car with an unresolved recall item. No estimate on completion of the recall work yet. Was planning to get the loan signed today at my credit union, but not sure what to do there, if I delay the loan any further I may not get the same interest rate. Already had the delivery date pushed back a week due to a miscommunication within the service center about the progress of the CPO repairs.

I sure hope they can hook me up with a loaner. It sucks not knowing. Hopefully my service rep will get me some updated info this afternoon. Guess I will busy myself with getting that NEMA 10-30 plug installed instead of picking up / playing with the car this weekend.

If you read the recall notice, if the part fails it just affects power steering and that is most needed at slow speed and in parking. Hard to see this as much of a safety issue even if one is among the very few affected.

If the bolts fail, the driver is still able to steer the car, but increased force is required due to loss or reduction of power assist. This primarily makes the car harder to drive at low speeds and for parallel parking, but does not materially affect control at high speed, where only small steering wheel force is needed.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
The power steering bolt recall ranks as one of the most overblown financial news flashes in the history of phony news about Tesla. I live in Texas. My bolts will last for the life of the car, just like all of those on the west coast and south of the Mason-Dixon line. Yet the Tesla death watch ghouls and shorts have crawled out of their holes and are now cackling about Tesla being on the brink of bankruptcy because of rusty bolts in northern climates that will not cause loss of control of the car even if they break.

Oh, and the Model X crash on 101 in California? The press is treating this as if it proves that Autopilot (1) was actually engaged at the time of the accident, and (2) that it caused the accident. There is not a shred of evidence to support either claim, yet we see these claims made implicitly time and again in news articles.

Anyone who thinks the financial press is fair to Tesla needs to retain these news clippings and compare the actual news three months from now. Tesla will not be bankrupt, Autopilot did not cause the 101 crash, and the Model 3 will be hailed as everyone’s 2018 Car of the Year

My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi was recalled in June 2015 for the same corrosion of the steering bolts problem. I don't recall reading about the recall in any publication. Ford recall # 15S14. NHTSA recall # 15V-250.

Maybe Tesla gets their bolts from the same source as Ford.

Oh, and the Model X crash on 101 in California? The press is treating this as if it proves that Autopilot (1) was actually engaged at the time of the accident, and (2) that it caused the accident. There is not a shred of evidence to support either claim, yet we see these claims made implicitly time and again in news articles.

Actually, Tesla announced Friday evening that Autopilot was operational at the time of the accident. They claim the vehicle issued several visual warnings and an audible warning about 6 seconds before impact for the driver to put his hands on the steering wheel.

Didn't you read Tesla's news release? AP was on and engaged at the time of the crash, it had issued visual and audible warnings to the driver to take control of the vehicle. There were no hands on the wheel for 6 seconds prior to the crash. The deceased owner had previously complained to the service center that AP veered towards that barrier repeatedly in the past. That's the latest. :)

My 2013 Ford Fusion Energi was recalled in June 2015 for the same corrosion of the steering bolts problem. I don't recall reading about the recall in any publication. Ford recall # 15S14. NHTSA recall # 15V-250.

Maybe Tesla gets their bolts from the same source as Ford.

According to Transport Canada, ZF Lenksysteme was the manufacturer in the Ford case and is also in our Tesla Model S pre-refresh vehicles.

Buy the dips, this stock will be on fire in the future. I expect another dip after the next report. After marketing recovery we can expect stock price to be profitable. Now that I'm an owner, I'm eager to invest. Just want to make sure I time the market it correctly.

Reactions: mrElbe