Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Recall - Power Steering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the one hand, I guess if Bosch is paying, they're probably reliant on Bosch to supply parts -- even if it's just new bolts for most cars.

On the other hand, I'm _still_ waiting for a replacement 10-30 adapter; because I had 2, they put me at the end of the list for the 2nd replacement and...I guess it was a very very long list.
Bosch is indeed the bottleneck. Spoke with tesla about this. You can check yours out. Some locals here have DIY replaced the bolts. Again, not the end of the world. Your car isnt going to steer itself into the guardrail

Ummmm...
So I got the recall email and less than 1 week later my 2014 Model S steering failed. I found 2 sheared off bolts in the driveway. Now the car is at Tesla Montreal waiting for a new rack. I wonder how long it’ll take.... hating my Ford loaner.

For reference...mine sheared and failed in January, it took five days to get the part and install.

Mine failed two weeks ago and I'm still waiting for parts although I think they will be arriving in the next couple of days.

There were five cars ahead of me two weeks ago, now there are about 15 cars waiting for parts.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
I haven't been contacted about scheduling an appointment for the recall yet. Supposedly, they were supposed to contact me at some point. Maybe they haven't gotten around to middle America yet? Anyone in or near Missouri get the recall service yet?

Looks like they have stepped up the recall. Here in NorCal, we really don't have snow and the corrosive road coverings. So not a rush. Anyway, I got the email last week and scheduled the Mobile Service today. The old bolts were clean, no corrosion, as one would expect in our area.
My first Tesla Mobile Service experience. Done in 30 minutes!
IMG_2105.jpg

• Love
Reactions: MP3Mike
My steering failed last Friday. When the car was taken by flatbed to the service center, the manager offered the opinion (based on the symptoms as I described them) that I would need a new steering rack. They have not yet looked at the car (the place is carzy busy, naturally), so I do not yet know if it is this bolts issue or if it is a rack failure or who knows what else.
But while I was at the SC, i mentioned the steering recall letter I got and that it said we'd get notified when parts are available. The service writer laughed and said there is no way they have the time to notify all the owners the recall applies to. Instead, she said they just fix the cars when they come in for some other reason.
So, you may not want to held your breath waiting to be notified....

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
Correct. I have been told ONLY the bolts are replaced. Retrofit? donno?

Here is what my invoice said after my steering failed last year: "Due to loss of power steering, technician identified power steering rack bolt
broken and rack requires replacement per recall bulletin (see line two). Replaced steering rack, performed alignment, test drove and verified vehicle handling as designed at this time."

So, at least in my case, the entire rack was replaced. Maybe when the bolts fail while the car is in use, the rack is damaged...?

Here is what my invoice said after my steering failed last year: "Due to loss of power steering, technician identified power steering rack bolt
broken and rack requires replacement per recall bulletin (see line two). Replaced steering rack, performed alignment, test drove and verified vehicle handling as designed at this time."

So, at least in my case, the entire rack was replaced. Maybe when the bolts fail while the car is in use, the rack is damaged...?

Yup.

my bolts failed after this was identified as an issue on this forum, but a couple weeks before Tesla issued a recall. My whole rack was replaced.

A while after that, I had just the bolts replaced as a part of the recall.

The bolts are aluminum - highly corrosive. The mounting bracket portion of the rack & pinion are made of "soft" metal
When bolts corrode and break they can also "crack" the mounting bracket portion of the R&P and/or Strip out the threaded
area. The bolts when being removed by a technician can crack, bread the mounting bracket - and if the bolt(s) need to
be "drilled out" if highly corrosive - the Rack & Pinion mounting bracket and threaded can be damaged or destroyed in the
repair process. On occasion the bolts will come out smoothly and easily - but not often. The bolts should be steel not
aluminum. Exposure to the "Elements" of our world causes the problem -