Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Recessed/Sunken door handles.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen lots of discussions about door handles not working etc.

My Model S handles all work fine, except when locked they are circa 5mm recessed from being flush.

I have recently done a factory reset for another problem and the handles are still noticeably sunk/recessed when locked.

Is this a calibration issue likely to be resolvable remotely? The nearest Tesla service centre is over 3 hours away!

Attachments

• 2022-08-22 20.12.30.jpg
    2022-08-22 20.12.30.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 253
Not a software calibration. The handle mounting inside the door needs to be adjusted. Likely requires 30-60 minutes of tech time. It's not going to affect anything, so unless it really bothers you, I'd wait until you are expecting to be near service or have to go into service for another issue prior to the warranty ending.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
Mine all looked the same. Spent a weekend doing dynamat in the doors and adjusted them to be flush. Didn't know they had puddle lights when extended until they were all fixed. Not necessarily hard, but time consuming and worth it IMO. Plenty of YouTube videos to show the door panel removal, not so much on the adjustment but there are a couple posts here about it.

After reading this post, I noticed that mine were recessed as well. This is something new to the car as they have been flush for the first four years. Could it be related to soft/firmware, as it uniform on all doors now where previously it did not exist.

After reading this post, I noticed that mine were recessed as well. This is something new to the car as they have been flush for the first four years. Could it be related to soft/firmware, as it uniform on all doors now where previously it did not exist.
I'd be more willing to bet that most people don't notice it and yours have been this way the whole time and just noticed it after reading this post.

Reactions: WilliamG
Could it be related to soft/firmware, as it uniform on all doors now where previously it did not exist.
No. The position is fixed by the design of the handle and mounting. It can be mechanically adjusted but is not controlled by software. If it did change, it would suggest the mounting shifted for some reason. As another pointed out, it's more likely you just noticed it and they were always this way, especially if all four are the same.

Mine is still under warranty and Tesla is trying to charge me to fix this. Is this normal?
No, unless there is some kind of physical damage that was done to the handle. Ok, what may work is to say the handle's puddle light is not working. The handle has to be flush for it to work. If recessed 2-3 mm, it will light, but will not be visible below on the street surface. Anyway, just an idea that may help.

Reactions: splffgates
No, unless there is some kind of physical damage that was done to the handle. Ok, what may work is to say the handle's puddle light is not working. The handle has to be flush for it to work. If recessed 2-3 mm, it will light, but will not be visible below on the street surface. Anyway, just an idea that may help.
I honestly didn't even realize my car had puddle lights. I'll have to check now, as my overly-recessed handles have bugged me the entire time I've owned the car (since new, 5 years this month).

I have a 2022 from Dec '21 and noticed the same thing and actually put in a service request. I thought it was an issue but think it's by design now considering all four handles are recessed about the same depth and canceled it. It's not that big of a deal to me and I've become accustomed to it now. It does help when there's snow and ice accumulation that gets pushed out when the handles display. The Y and 3 handles sometimes got frozen in place and I had to go through their suggestion about wiping some silicone WD around the handle, cradle, and spring inside.

Mine had it back in Feb when I first took delivery. I put it on the initial fit-and-finish list and it was one of the few that they actually did fix right the first time.

I scanned the staging lot back then and I saw several S with the exact same issue (rear right recess handle).

I've seen lots of discussions about door handles not working etc.

My Model S handles all work fine, except when locked they are circa 5mm recessed from being flush.

I have recently done a factory reset for another problem and the handles are still noticeably sunk/recessed when locked.

Is this a calibration issue likely to be resolvable remotely? The nearest Tesla service centre is over 3 hours away

Just had it done and this trick worked to get them to cover it. They look much nicer now.

Reactions: is2scooby