Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh 2021 - Front Passenger Side Window Distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do any owners of the new model S refresh have this issue - when looking out through the lower-front section of the front passenger side window (not the little triangular glass piece), there is a weird distortion that you can see that makes anything outside look warped. My wife and son said they were getting sick looking out that window when the car was moving. Wondering if it is an issue or just how these curved windows are designed.

Any feedback from current owners would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Do any owners of the new model S refresh have this issue - when looking out through the lower-front section of the front passenger side window (not the little triangular glass piece), there is a weird distortion that you can see that makes anything outside look warped. My wife and son said they were getting sick looking out that window when the car was moving. Wondering if it is an issue or just how these curved windows are designed.

I have the 2021 Model S LR and I don't believe I'm seeing or notice any distortion like you mention. Pic attached in case I'm just missing it.
2021 MSLR - Passenger Window.jpeg

I had a distorted windshield in my Model S. Tesla told me to go pound sand. Good luck.

I have the 2021 Model S LR and I don't believe I'm seeing or notice any distortion like you mention. Pic attached in case I'm just missing it.
View attachment 694426

Great pic. So from the angle you have that pic at (looking straight out at 90 degrees), I don’t see any distortion either.

However, pretend you were a passenger up front looking out the front 1/8th part of that window while driving. So your head is parallel to the window, but you are looking out the window. Turn your head 90 degrees and look out, it’s fine. But if you look out the window from that front 1/8th section, you get this weird distortion that makes you queasy when driving.

Reactions: DogStar1
Great pic. So from the angle you have that pic at (looking straight out at 90 degrees), I don’t see any distortion either.

However, pretend you were a passenger up front looking out the front 1/8th part of that window while driving. So your head is parallel to the window, but you are looking out the window. Turn your head 90 degrees and look out, it’s fine. But if you look out the window from that front 1/8th section, you get this weird distortion that makes you queasy when driving.
Yep, I know what you're talking about. My 2021 has it. Also out of the rear glass, too. Looking in the rearview mirror the road lines are distorted toward the bottom of the glass. I kinda think Tesla screwed the pooch with the glass on the 2021s. Distorting through the side windows, rear window, and my windshield has AREAS of distortion/ripple right in my eye line. Not impressed.

Yep, I know what you're talking about. My 2021 has it. Also out of the rear glass, too. Looking in the rearview mirror the road lines are distorted toward the bottom of the glass. I kinda think Tesla screwed the pooch with the glass on the 2021s. Distorting through the side windows, rear window, and my windshield has AREAS of distortion/ripple right in my eye line. Not impressed.
Oh my…. :-(

Meh, it's not a deal killer. Just something you notice... Along with the 20 million other things you notice. lol.
“Death by a thousand cuts,” it seems. Yes, some of this can be expected, but the list of issues continues to grow day by day. My 3, post delivery, had few annoyances - and none that I had to take the car back to the SC to resolve. Paint was perfect as well.

“Death by a thousand cuts,” it seems. Yes, some of this can be expected, but the list of issues continues to grow day by day. My 3, post delivery, had few annoyances - and none that I had to take the car back to the SC to resolve. Paint was perfect as well.

This is why you take up people's offers to give you a tour of the vehicle before you dive in. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc

Crap, not what I wanted to hear! It can be ignored but now that we know it’s there, like a reflex to look at that spot when driving. Given you confirmed you have it, probably all of them have it, so doubtful they’ll fix it. What is up with their QC man - make awesome cars but miss the little stuff...

Crap, not what I wanted to hear! It can be ignored but now that we know it’s there, like a reflex to look at that spot when driving. Given you confirmed you have it, probably all of them have it, so doubtful they’ll fix it. What is up with their QC man - make awesome cars but miss the little stuff...
Like, how could you F up the glass on a $150k custom hand built car?? Yet, the mass produced Tesla car’s glass is fine.

Oh I'm sure they all have it. And the rear window at the bottom is FAR worse when using my rearview mirror. You just, like many things, tune it out.

I picked up my new Model S Plaid on Sunday and it has glass distortion on the lower passenger side of the windshield and both front door windows. The back windows may have it too, but I haven’t checked those out yet. Anyway, I’m really thankful that Tesla just put out that glass promotional video where they mention their distortion test so I have something to show the guys at the SC if they push back on replacement.