Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh 2021 - Front Passenger Side Window Distortion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my new Model S Plaid on Sunday and it has glass distortion on the lower passenger side of the windshield and both front door windows. The back windows may have it too, but I haven’t checked those out yet. Anyway, I’m really thankful that Tesla just put out that glass promotional video where they mention their distortion test so I have something to show the guys at the SC if they push back on replacement.

So, you are going to ask the SC to replace all the side and rear glass in your car? If so, good luck with that. Maybe you should have rejected it at delivery?

So, you are going to ask the SC to replace all the side and rear glass in your car? If so, good luck with that. Maybe you should have rejected it at delivery?
Windshield and front door glass. The glass defects weren’t obvious until I started driving the car. They don’t even want to let you IN the car before accepting delivery, let alone drive it. This is my fourth Tesla, and the delivery experience has gotten worse every time. They will replace the glass. I’ll make sure of it.

There is definitely distortion in my Plaid as well. I am confident it is due to the plastic laminate they added to the glass for the sound proofing. I am hoping once I tint it will be less noticeable. It is the price paid for quieter glass?

Windshield and front door glass. The glass defects weren’t obvious until I started driving the car. They don’t even want to let you IN the car before accepting delivery, let alone drive it. This is my fourth Tesla, and the delivery experience has gotten worse every time. They will replace the glass. I’ll make sure of it.
I have the side and rear glass distortion as well, as do many here. Please let us know if Tesla changes anything more than the windshield glass. I predict they will say, "in spec" for the sides and rear, and show you another car that has the same.....

I have the side and rear glass distortion as well, as do many here. Please let us know if Tesla changes anything more than the windshield glass. I predict they will say, "in spec" for the sides and rear, and show you another car that has the same.....
If so, I look forward to being provided their specification. Would love to see how it compares to industry standards.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
They replaced my front windscreen, and drivers and passenger glass. Problem is, it still has distortion in the front windscreen and drivers side. I scheduled another service appointment... not sure if they will replace it this time but it's extremely annoying.

my front windshield has some ugly long vertical ripples... i thought it was my XPEL film, but turns out it actually was the glass after having my tint installer remove it. ugh.
Seems like a reasonably common complaint on this new car. I had my windshield replaced for some really obnoxious distortion in my line of sight. The replacement still has some, but it's way over on the passenger side and I don't notice it 95% of the time. Still, it a bit rubbish for a company that touts its excellence in glass design...

Reactions: Wolfsbane
Seems like a reasonably common complaint on this new car. I had my windshield replaced for some really obnoxious distortion in my line of sight. The replacement still has some, but it's way over on the passenger side and I don't notice it 95% of the time. Still, it a bit rubbish for a company that touts its excellence in glass design...
My windshield is the same. Not sure if I should roll the dice on replacement as the ripples on mine are only noticeable on the lower passenger side. My wife doesn’t see them when looking straight out so they are only obvious at an angle, I guess.

My windshield is the same. Not sure if I should roll the dice on replacement as the ripples on mine are only noticeable on the lower passenger side. My wife doesn’t see them when looking straight out so they are only obvious at an angle, I guess.

My advice? Do not roll the dice here. It's not worth it. My ripples are the same - lower right side/passenger side. My wife doesn't seem them straight on either. Don't risk it.

I have the windshield distortion as well. Vertical ripples on the passenger side. I suspect that the ripples occur across the entire windshield but are most visible when looking at them from an angle. This is why most seem to see them on the passenger side while sitting in the driver seat. Good to know that replacements may also have the ripple. I'll wait a bit for them to sort this out before requesting replacement.

Apparently every new Model S has some window distortion. Mine has it on every window. Some is very minor and won't bother unless it is pointed out. But I have had passengers tell me they are getting car sick. Right hand side of the windshield is most disturbing for us. Also, it is almost impossible to see on a still photo. It is much more noticeable when driving instead of standing still. My 2013 had a line of distortion at the bottom the windshield. All 2012 and 2013 models did. Now 2021's have a different type of distortion. Very disappointing. I have looked at 3 other Model S and Plaids and they all have some. Some are better than others. But I have yet to see one with zero. If you don't see it, don't look for it. You will never unsee it!

Reactions: WilliamG
Apparently every new Model S has some window distortion. Mine has it on every window. Some is very minor and won't bother unless it is pointed out. But I have had passengers tell me they are getting car sick. Right hand side of the windshield is most disturbing for us. Also, it is almost impossible to see on a still photo. It is much more noticeable when driving instead of standing still. My 2013 had a line of distortion at the bottom the windshield. All 2012 and 2013 models did. Now 2021's have a different type of distortion. Very disappointing. I have looked at 3 other Model S and Plaids and they all have some. Some are better than others. But I have yet to see one with zero. If you don't see it, don't look for it. You will never unsee it!

Agreed 100%. My windshield was replaced for two localized areas of distortion. The replacement still has some on the far right, only noticeable at an angle for me, and nobody else notices it. All my side windows have some distortion throughout - like a slightly off glasses prescription. It makes my wife a little sick when she looks out. An easy test of this is look at any tall building through the side windows and move your head around and watch how the building kind of warps.

And my rear glass has the distortion right at the bottom - as they all do.

It's really crazy how bad the glass is in these cars.