Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh and Existing Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I put in an order for an S a couple of weeks ago in anticipation of this refresh (figured it wouldn't hurt to have an order in). Looking at the order page for new cars now, it says delivery in 2022. My order still says March this year, so it'll be interesting to see what they do. I figure they'll either:

a) Make an "old" S for me and deliver in March
b) Make me upgrade (which I want to anyway) but wait until 2022
c) Charge me the difference and let me have a new model in March

c obviously is ideal, but seems unlikely unfortunately. Regardless, I've emailed my sales person so I'm waiting to see what they say.

I suspect the 2022 delivery is only meant for the Plaid+ (it's late 2021 in the US).

The new LR and Plaid are March 2021 in the US and I can't imagine them not doing RHD production all year.

Let us know what your sales advisor says.

From US forums those who ordered a Performance have been offered $2k off the new Plaid, or downgrade to LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: strykeroz
Ok I just gave them a call. Long story short, 2022 is accurate, they said the next shipment of S and X we get here in Australia will be the 2022 batch. So that sucks.

He said for people with existing orders, there'd be an incentive to continue with the order and just wait I guess, which is a $2000 credit (which doesn't make much of a dent in the price increase anyway, so meh :D) and one other thing which he couldn't remember offhand. Maybe that'll end up being some supercharger km's or whatever.

They're calling or emailing people with existing orders so I'll wait for that and update here if it's not already known by then.

• Informative
Reactions: Tigger and moa999
Yep, just had the call. Incentives, if you change your configuration before the end of Feb, are $2000 (this new model is costing me $14000 more, soooooo), and "priority delivery", which is probably just nothing.

Nothing until 2022, and they haven't been told when in 2022.

Yep, just had the call. Incentives, if you change your configuration before the end of Feb, are $2000 (this new model is costing me $14000 more, soooooo), and "priority delivery", which is probably just nothing.

Nothing until 2022, and they haven't been told when in 2022.
Bugger, bugger, bugger!!
I have an existing order for a new MS and thought I might get it in March this year.
Guess I will just have to keep driving my current MS.
First world problems can be a bitch!

Can't say I like it so I wouldn't be too upset

It’s plain nutty. Hell, AirBus did away with the yoke, why not change to side stick!

Unless I’m missing something, I just can’t see if this works in practice, it’s not a race car. Even cars with somewhat not round wheels get shot down in most car reviews. Ferrari had physical tactile indicator buttons on the steering wheel and people hated those, let alone haptic ones.

I think Tesla/Musk sometimes has their head in space (x). As others have mentioned, should be interesting to see how the ADRs treat this. I see the instrument cluster that you would even miss on Model 3 is still on the new Model s/X. That’s telling me it’s still a desired feature. Just copy the Mach-e!

I've been scratching my head for a while, and taking into account everything (price, interior, exterior, charging, unreliable delivery timelines, ...) I have to say that the Model Y is beginning to look more fitting than ever. Upgrade it to Plaid+ or Cybertruck (or another manufacturer) later when they have gotten the production up to usual speed at competitive price.

It’s plain nutty. Hell, AirBus did away with the yoke, why not change to side stick!

Unless I’m missing something, I just can’t see if this works in practice, it’s not a race car. Even cars with somewhat not round wheels get shot down in most car reviews. Ferrari had physical tactile indicator buttons on the steering wheel and people hated those, let alone haptic ones.!

Perhaps you've put your finger on it!
Don't F1 cars have to have their steering wheels fixed onto the column after the driver gets in? I think Tesla have arranged it so that with FSD coming sometime in the next 50 years, (perhaps), it can just be pulled out and chucked in the bin?

I'm wondering if the long delay for NZ & Aus is because they might be intending on setting up Shanghai for the new Model S & X production? With the Model 3 & Y coming from there for our region going forward and the large demand in China, maybe that's the reason behind it?
Tesla have also reported that the semi is ready for mass production but is now delayed due to a lack of batteries, and several financial type sites are reporting that model s is now a comparatively small earner for tesla. This suggests tesla will always just focus on where they can get the most income, which is why we may never see the new roadster.

For everyone here who has ordered a new S or X before yesterday, you might want to download your order agreement from your Tesla account. Tesla has reps ringing all order holders encouraging them to "reconfigure" their orders. They say that they will provide a $2,000 discount for those who do so. The sting in the tail is the base cost has gone up by about $10,000. Once you reconfigure your order, you are then obliged to accept the new price. There is a fairly good chance (having read the order agreement) that Tesla may have to honor the original price provided you make no changes to your original order.

The critical point that everyone should remember is that Tesla already knew that they were not going to produce any Ss and Xs after they shut the factory before Christmas last year and they also knew they would be increasing the price - and yet they continued to accept orders for the old price and state that delivery would be by March 2021.

What Tesla have been doing is a classic "Bait and Switch" which is pretty much illegal in every jurisdiction

I'm pretty confident that a competent body such as the ACCC would find them guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct.

What Tesla should have done was close their order books for S and X last year and remove the ability to order these cars on their website. Their website ought to have stated something along the lines of "Model S and X orders are suspended until further notice. Please check back later for an update". Tesla chose not to do this and instead deliberately mislead everyone who subsequently placed an order.

Reactions: pts260 and Wol747
For everyone here who has ordered a new S or X before yesterday, you might want to download your order agreement from your Tesla account. Tesla has reps ringing all order holders encouraging them to "reconfigure" their orders. They say that they will provide a $2,000 discount for those who do so. The sting in the tail is the base cost has gone up by about $10,000. Once you reconfigure your order, you are then obliged to accept the new price. There is a fairly good chance (having read the order agreement) that Tesla may have to honor the original price provided you make no changes to your original order.

The critical point that everyone should remember is that Tesla already knew that they were not going to produce any Ss and Xs after they shut the factory before Christmas last year and they also knew they would be increasing the price - and yet they continued to accept orders for the old price and state that delivery would be by March 2021.

What Tesla have been doing is a classic "Bait and Switch" which is pretty much illegal in every jurisdiction

I'm pretty confident that a competent body such as the ACCC would find them guilty of misleading and deceptive conduct.

What Tesla should have done was close their order books for S and X last year and remove the ability to order these cars on their website. Their website ought to have stated something along the lines of "Model S and X orders are suspended until further notice. Please check back later for an update". Tesla chose not to do this and instead deliberately mislead everyone who subsequently placed an order.
But I guess they are obliged to supply you with what you ordered, or face the consequences. I can't see that they would be obliged to provide you with something that you DIDN'T order?