Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh / AQI (Air Quality Index Question) ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So back in Jan / Feb On the order page of Model S/X refresh there use to be screenshots showing the Air Quality Index number on the screen. Question did Tesla is yet to turn that feature on ?

Or did they just remove it I do NOT see it on the order page any more and not lot of people or even media talked about it. However I think in California that could be really useful as we get many wild fires here.

I am hoping Tesla will just enable it with a software update.

By the way, it was on the US website not China or anything so I know it use to be there for sure for us in North America.

1625686728736.png

Reactions: glide
I strongly doubt there’s an actual air quality sensor in the car.
Yes, I guess more than likely if they are going to implement this. They will likely to take it from Weather Data Sources for Air Quality as they will already know the Geo location of the car all the time.

Now still even with that it be very helpful now if they have hardware which like you said doubt it. But then they can even show the indoor Air quality inside the cabin :D

Why? It's a pretty commonplace thing on high end cars.
True, although the sensors are generally pretty basic units that detect concentrations of carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxides. The Tesla marketing pictures suggest an Air Quality Index number, which would imply a more sophisticated sensor that measures PM 2.5 and other pollutants.

Not impossible (looks like Volvo actually started doing this late last year). But given the ubiquity of data from weather services and sites like Purple Air, I struggle to believe that a company like Tesla - which exclusively sells cars with permanent internet connections and is constantly looking to pinch pennies - would bother.

• Helpful
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
True, although the sensors are generally pretty basic units that detect concentrations of carbon monoxide or nitrogen oxides. The Tesla marketing pictures suggest an Air Quality Index number, which would imply a more sophisticated sensor that measures PM 2.5 and other pollutants.

Not impossible (looks like Volvo actually started doing this late last year). But given the ubiquity of data from weather services and sites like Purple Air, I struggle to believe that a company like Tesla - which exclusively sells cars with permanent internet connections and is constantly looking to pinch pennies - would bother.
Yes. Agree also adding to that Elon always says "The best part is no part. The best process is no process. It weighs nothing. Costs nothing"

So Why put a part when they can just get that data from online.

Last edited:
The same part is shown for the Feb 2021 S and later. Once logged in, goto: Parts Catalog. Shown as item 20. Now I've not looked to see if the sensor is actually on my car.

Interestingly, the sensor is made in Germany.
Thank you for confirming this! Air quality is the only thing I'm missing since I switched from Model S to Model 3. In model S I never had to manually turn recirc on or off, never felt any exhaust fumes or gasoline, or diesel. Now I know what my next car is going to be : )

I just checked the latest schematics, and the sensor is shown there as well. Data is sent via the LIN bus to the Body Controller.

I suspect the reason they dropped the on-screen indicator is the sensor accuracy was fine for the recirc choices, but perhaps not as accurate to display.

• Informative
Reactions: 127.0.0.0
Hey I wanted to try & revisit this conversation. I'm proposing an academic study on using Tesla's ambient temperature sensors & air quality monitoring devices for passively studying environmental heat in metropolitan cities. I've found API endpoints for the ambient temperature sensor, but haven't been able to locate anything for the air-quality ones. I'm not a Tesla owner.

But I was wondering if this @vcor or @Eugene Ash is something that you guys would be interested in helping out with? We're seeking funding so we'd love to compensate if we ended up getting our grant approved.

Hey I wanted to try & revisit this conversation. I'm proposing an academic study on using Tesla's ambient temperature sensors & air quality monitoring devices for passively studying environmental heat in metropolitan cities. I've found API endpoints for the ambient temperature sensor, but haven't been able to locate anything for the air-quality ones. I'm not a Tesla owner.

But I was wondering if this @vcor or @Eugene Ash is something that you guys would be interested in helping out with? We're seeking funding so we'd love to compensate if we ended up getting our grant approved.
I wonder if this data is easily accessible and how. Also, the nature of garages, parking spots and roads makes PM spikes quite volatile. Placing a sensor away from nearby parking diesel pickup would give less noisy data....

I wonder if this data is easily accessible and how. Also, the nature of garages, parking spots and roads makes PM spikes quite volatile. Placing a sensor away from nearby parking diesel pickup would give less noisy data....
Hi @Eugene Ash

So the initial calibration would be performed against a known monitor of sort. So when a Tesla drives past a specific sensor on the road:
- Compare Tesla data to the known sensor's readings
- Record all potential variables contributing to the reading

There have been post-processing protocols to clean up data gathered from vehicles in the past:
- Wait until car has been moving for ~5min
- Only sample data when car is moving
- Take averages within a time period and record as 1 sample
- Adjust the readings to correspond w the speed

DIMO is an app that fetches car temperature data already, but air quality doesnt look like its in the API currently