Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh coming in September. What about X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets hope to god they dont just copy/paste the model 3 interior inside the S or X!!!!!!!!!

To be fair if they do that, i think they will kill the S&X especially when Y comes, i mean why spend almost double on something that exactly the same but a bit bigger? It may however make me keep hold of my X forever because i absolutely love it and wouldn't want another with a M3 style setup...

Flagship needs something more!

Agreed, but i'd like to think Elon would push for something better, i just hope we're pleased with the end result but he does seems to be going down the route of "you can have it in any colour you want, providing it's black" no thanks Elon...

I've got a 4 year PCP so wont be changing for 3 years, i thought about a Y but im not sure i can go to anything that less special than the X, im spoilt but i love it... Seriously considering keeping my X

Reactions: Raincloud
Elon commented that autonomous driving is coming faster than many surmise.

If the car becomes self driving and self aware, there will be little reason to have a display behind the wheel.

The positive trade off, is that without the display, the view of the road will be less obstructed, and a more pleasing view out the windshield will give an improved view of the road.

I predict the new interior will provide an even larger display, for additional information to the driver, as well as easier to view maps.

No matter, lots of interest in seeing what the new interior brings.

If the new interior is not well received, then the prices of used, pre refreshed, Model S/X should be solid.

If the car becomes self driving and self aware, there will be little reason to have a display behind the wheel.

The positive trade off, is that without the display, the view of the road will be less obstructed, and a more pleasing view out the windshield will give an improved view of the road.

These two sentences make no sense when put together. If the car is self driving then you absolutely do not care what the view out the windshield is. Everyone will be sleeping or reading or doing something productive instead of paying attention to the road.

Elon can comment about self driving coming soon all he wants. I love the man and I want autonomy now but let’s face it here in the UK/EU it’s going to take an age for that to happen

I expect the technology to be feature complete soon but the legislation to enable you to use it here in the UK will be miles away so much so I suspect we’re looking the other side of 3/5years.

Just look and what EU legislation has done to summon and auto pilot both features here are a shadow of the US feature version

Guys. Have any of you driven a Mode 3? I’ve driven old and new Model S. I vastly prefer the 3 interior.

Also, I was in the “in needs a heads up display, one screen won’t work” camp. I was completely wrong. It works perfectly and I now prefer it to a dash in front of me. We all have opinions, this is mine. But try the 3 before saying that it’s a show stopper.

Best,
Gene

To answer the original post...

As I recall, there has only JUST been a decision to build the Y at Freemont.
A part of the way that it was said Tesla would be able make the space is that they were going to combine the S and X production lines in so far as it is practical to do so.

So... I'm suspecting that any updates or a "refresh" might come out in "dribs and drabs" until then, but a full blown refresh of the interior will probably wait until the production line(s) are re-adjusted.

Guys. Have any of you driven a Mode 3? I’ve driven old and new Model S. I vastly prefer the 3 interior.

Also, I was in the “in needs a heads up display, one screen won’t work” camp. I was completely wrong. It works perfectly and I now prefer it to a dash in front of me. We all have opinions, this is mine. But try the 3 before saying that it’s a show stopper.

Best,
Gene

I own a model 3 and a model x. While I don't hate the Model 3 interior, I prefer the Model X interior.

Best,
Gene

No. However “and I know this is a little stretch but I use to have a Nissan primera many moons ago which had no driver side dash but rather a central stack and I honestly didn’t mind it I actually liked it.

My point isn’t about everything going to a single screen and more about Tesla being lazy and doing a copy/paste.

S and X if they change need to be unique if they look like a 3 inside what’s it’s USP? The S would be deadbin the water, the X may have more space and fancy doors but when the Y comes ain’t nobody buying an X just for fancy doors and a bit more room at the price difference
59E3F402-987B-4259-8CD6-301CBA0C812E.jpeg

The refreshed Model X will not simply be a slightly larger Model Y. I believe there will always be a strong, albeit smaller, market for the Model X. Why? Because the Model X will always be significantly larger, with a more luxurious interior and a significantly smoother and quieter ride.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Full autonomous driving will not happen in the next 3 years, and I think Elon knows it. Just look at the comments of Uber CEO regarding when he sees this happen. That said, I think Tesla will likely delete the gauge cluster simply to support his promise of upcoming level 4-5 autonomous driving with his design language. Tesla is not in the 'luxury' vehicle business, what they do right is tech, and unless he ensured a commensurate upgrade in luxury from the Y, Model X sales will continue to plummet.