Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh concerns about what it will bring to CT interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new interior of the 2021 refresh MS has got me thinking. The stalks are gone completely and the steering wheel is not round. For a sedan, maybe those choices make fashion sense. For those of us who plan to use the CT as a work vehicle, I can foresee some issue with the deletion of stalks etc. Not to hash up the old "physical button" debate, the lack of certain features that should not require the use of a touchscreen is probably more important in a work truck that will get "down and dirty" in it's daily use.

Two cases immediately jump to the front of my mind:
-Not having a "Wheel" and trying to maneuver a trailer while in reverse can be cumbersome
-Most work gloves(at least mine) are not touchscreen friendly - I can see having to take my gloves off every time I need to do frequent tasks (changing the "gear", wipers, etc..)

Some of the above can be re-learned, but I'm sure there are some drop dead use cases that you gus can think of that are specific to (c)truck use where the current stalkless design is a non-starter.

Or maybe the CT is just the Tesla version of a "G" wagon - expensive and looks tough, but is really just a yuppie plaything.
(I hope not)

Reactions: jebinc
When you drive a truck and you need to back up a trailer or boat, you turn your body to the right, you look over your right shoulder to see where you are going, and your left hand goes on top of the Sterling wheel so you can control the backup procedure. A car that doesn’t tow, this might be fine, but not a truck. I’m gonna be pissed if Tesla doesn’t install a round steering wheel on the CT.

Cameras are fine, but they don’t replace standard safety procedures.
I get the feeling that Tesla Engineers who are to young to have real world experiences, sit around a table with their fruit smoothies and just dream up this crap.

Finally I’m 100% against FSD. When I drive, I drive. I will not be letting my car or truck make safety decisions for me.

When you drive a truck and you need to back up a trailer or boat, you turn your body to the right, you look over your right shoulder to see where you are going, and your left hand goes on top of the Sterling wheel so you can control the backup procedure. A car that doesn’t tow, this might be fine, but not a truck.

That's the type of thing I'm talking about that differs from a truck to a car.

You did a much better job explaining that than I!!

When they revealed the CT last year it had a yoke-like sheering wheel.
They gave test drives to dozens of people with that yoke-like steering wheel.
Elon has been driving around for months in the CT with that yoke-like steering wheel.

Looking behind you while towing and backing-up? :rolleyes: Yeah... You definitely haven't towed anything significant.
Hint: Extended side mirrors and hopefully a spotter

When you drive a truck and you need to back up a trailer or boat, you turn your body to the right, you look over your right shoulder to see where you are going, and your left hand goes on top of the Sterling wheel so you can control the backup procedure. A car that doesn’t tow, this might be fine, but not a truck. I’m gonna be pissed if Tesla doesn’t install a round steering wheel on the CT.

Yeah. I'm calling this as FUD.

I get the feeling that Tesla Engineers who are to young to have real world experiences, sit around a table with their fruit smoothies and just dream up this crap.

Finally I’m 100% against FSD. When I drive, I drive. I will not be letting my car or truck make safety decisions for me.

Reactions: outdoors

Relax Clarence. There will be an option for an old-fashion steering wheel. :cool:

Tesla is now offering the option of a wheel or yoke in the S/X (along with a $700 retrofit to a wheel for existing yoke customers) so that bodes well for offering a wheel in the CT.
Let’s hope so. The stupid yoke was a stupid idea from the beginning. Elon being Elon…. Hoping the Big afraid FSD would work, so removing the stalks and round wheel BS.

• Love
Reactions: EvilNuff and Hank42
When they revealed the CT last year it had a yoke-like sheering wheel.
They gave test drives to dozens of people with that yoke-like steering wheel.
Elon has been driving around for months in the CT with that yoke-like steering wheel.

Looking behind you while towing and backing-up? :rolleyes: Yeah... You definitely haven't towed anything significant.
Hint: Extended side mirrors and hopefully a spotter

Yeah. I'm calling this as FUD.
The safety procedure is use of a spotter with instant communications with the driver, be it visual, loud voice, 2-way radio or cell phone. It’s not how you traditionally steer or whether using direct sight of the spotter or camera display. The rear camera lets one see the target (hitch), which cannot be done without it. A highly skilled driver like yourself can get close by judging whether the truck looks centered on the tow. One caution: steering the CT requires much less steering input than conventional pickup steering. There likely will be a tendency to overcorrect initially.

The safety procedure is use of a spotter with instant communications with the driver, be it visual, loud voice, 2-way radio or cell phone. It’s not how you traditionally steer or whether using direct sight of the spotter or camera display. The rear camera lets one see the target (hitch), which cannot be done without it. A highly skilled driver like yourself can get close by judging whether the truck looks centered on the tow. One caution: steering the CT requires much less steering input than conventional pickup steering. There likely will be a tendency to overcorrect initially.
The list of failures is pretty long on the Cyber-Turd. The stupid steering wheel is near the top.