Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh- dashboard creaking/ popping sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone.
Had my model S refresh for a little over a week.

Everything is great except for one issue.
While driving at low speed < 20km/ hour when ever I turn the wheel > 50 degrees I hear creaking and popping across the dashboard.
It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from one individual spot and it is variable. No two creaks or squeaks are the same.

I’ve looked through the forum to see if anyone else has had this issue and came up dry.
Coming from German cars this is quite annoying, curious if anyone else has encountered this. If so, was there a solution?

Thanks.

Hey everyone.
Had my model S refresh for a little over a week.

Everything is great except for one issue.
While driving at low speed < 20km/ hour when ever I turn the wheel > 50 degrees I hear creaking and popping across the dashboard.
It doesn’t sound like it’s coming from one individual spot and it is variable. No two creaks or squeaks are the same.

I’ve looked through the forum to see if anyone else has had this issue and came up dry.
Coming from German cars this is quite annoying, curious if anyone else has encountered this. If so, was there a solution?

Thanks.
You bought a Tesla. That’s what they do.

If you think the sounds are bad now, wait a year or two. German vehicles, these are not.

Had this looked at and did not expect much due to past experiences with MB. Was pleasantly surprised they fixed all the noise. They needed to remove the upper dash and bend/tighten all the harness retainers was what the service tech told me, seems like they know about the issue as the fix was fast and effective.

Back to previous issues with Mercedes. Had an AMG with a very annoying rattle from day 1. Brought it in multiple times which was never fixed. They actually told me rattles on AMG vehicles are normal because of the harshness of the sports suspension. Last time they gave me a complaint sheet to fill out and wanted me to specify exactly where it was coming from as they could not find it so I finally gave up and told them to F off. Stellar experience with Tesla in comparison.

Dealerships and service centres vary greatly from what I have been reading. Mine has been really great, always helpful polite and a loaner waiting for me. Actually I do believe this is my best experience of all car service so far. Definitely not complaining and hoping it remains this good as more sales occur and bog down the SC.

Last edited:
Reactions: nwd89
Had this looked at and did not expect much due to past experiences with MB. Was pleasantly surprised they fixed all the noise. They needed to remove the upper dash and bend/tighten all the harness retainers was what the service tech told me, seems like they know about the issue as the fix was fast and effective.

Back to previous issues with Mercedes. Had an AMG with a very annoying rattle from day 1. Brought it in multiple times which was never fixed. They actually told me rattles on AMG vehicles are normal because of the harshness of the sports suspension. Last time they gave me a complaint sheet to fill out and wanted me to specify exactly where it was coming from as they could not find it so I finally gave up and told them to F off. Stellar experience with Tesla in comparison.

Dealerships and service centres vary greatly from what I have been reading. Mine has been really great, always helpful polite and a loaner waiting for me. Actually I do believe this is my best experience of all car service so far. Definitely not complaining and hoping it remains this good as more sales occur and bog down the SC.
This is laziness at its core. I actually use to manage a Merc store. Corporate would lose their mind if any full fledged AMG had superficial issues. They would fly techs in and everything if it couldn’t be fixed.

Sorry you had a lazy service manager.

This is laziness at its core. I actually use to manage a Merc store. Corporate would lose their mind if any full fledged AMG had superficial issues. They would fly techs in and everything if it couldn’t be fixed.

Sorry you had a lazy service manager.
Just goes to prove my point about one place vs another. In my case the Tesla service out performs MB service. No Tesla does not have a cappuccino bar or pretty, scantly clad ladies, that win goes to MB. :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: aerodyne and nwd89
I had this exact same issue. I narrowed down to a loose screen, It is amazing how the acoustic of the make the sound seem to be coming elsewhere. I had Tesla service tighten the screen and the sounds seems to have vanished. Fingers crossed!!

Reactions: nwd89
I have this exact same sound. SC does not replicate which is funny because the sound can be heard anytime I turn the car, especially in reverse. Unless music is above level 4, passengers always comment on it. It has been very frustrating and one of my main focuses when driving with people. Really hope Tesla can fix it when I bring it in next. Unrelated- I also almost never receive updates (last one was the holiday) so I’m hoping this service center can apply a software push. 3 friends with plaid track mode and I still don’t have the simple update months later! Tesla is so hit or miss with customer experience. While I love the Plaids stupid power, and EV smoothness, I’m so close to swapping into an RS7 or RS6 for a final fling with German ICE.

Reactions: glide
One rattle I've found was a metal clip from the dash speaker cover fell into the AC vent. I was able to pull it out with needle nose pliers. Another creak still exists and I'm not sure if it's the hooking part of the black plastic clip that holds the A-pillar cover on after airbag deployment or it's the little plastic covers near the frunk hinges. I've added tape to the latter and noticed a reduction but can't be sure.
How do you access the dash speaker cover/AC vent and/or remove it?

The metal mesh vent right under the windshield is sitting slightly above where it meets the A pillar alcantara whereas the passenger side sits flush. Wondering if there is some clip there that is loose or just needs some felt tape.

I've had the LR for 1 week now and am noticing some of these annoying sounds. Part of the reason is b/c Teslas are so inherently quiet that every cabin noise gets picked up.

Case and point: I just got into my mini-van today for the first time in a week, and I noticed the road/engine noises are actually masking a lot of the creaking sounds

I've had the LR for 1 week now and am noticing some of these annoying sounds. Part of the reason is b/c Teslas are so inherently quiet that every cabin noise gets picked up.

Case and point: I just got into my mini-van today for the first time in a week, and I noticed the road/engine noises are actually masking a lot of the creaking sounds
Mini-van vs. $150K Performance vehicle?

I don’t think the excuses for these issues is “lack of engine noise”.

I have a brand new Model X and am having the exact same issue. It creaks at low speed or when there is some stress to the car like turning onto a street, etc. Does anyone have a solution and did you get it resolved? It’s very irritating and not what one expects from a $100k+ vehicle.
My S and X have creaking sounds as well, SC replaced some plastics under frunk on my S, still some creaking but not as bad as before. X is not really noticeable. If sounds worsen, I'll have to take some trims apart and put some tape on ends, hopefully that'll solve the issues. Still love these spaceships and how they drive, both plaid... 😁

Had the same issue and was so frustrated...brand new car with this annoying creaking noise when driving down the road or making turns.
Tried the electrical tape and voila, fixed! Looks like its being being eaten into by the seat mechanism so not sure if this will be a permanent fix but at least right now its fixed
Where exactly did you apply the tape?

I had the exact same issue. I rolled up a little electrical tape and stuck it between the soft upper piece of the dash and the plastic edge that meets it at the far left of the dashboard/vent (there’s a small gap where the two meet - easiest to work with when the door is open). Basically just tightens things up in that area so there's no longer room for the expansion/contraction that I found to be causing the noise. Hasn’t made the noise since and is completely invisible. I think it was just some adhesive that was expanding/contracting by the changes in temp.
Wow... So first off, thank you. I just bought a brand new Plaid Model X (My 4th Tesla in 8 years) and the dash sounded like a 57 Chevy Truck. 100 miles only. Did it from day two and it was driving me totally insane. I read your note here and put some pressure in that area where the plastic dash meets the speaker grill like you suggested (with door open). I pushed hard on it and I was going to wedge something in there. To my surprise just doing that fixed it entirely. No wedge needed at this point. I had a service call scheduled for a few things but now I can tell them what I did to quiet it.

Had the same issue and was so frustrated...brand new car with this annoying creaking noise when driving down the road or making turns.
Tried the electrical tape and voila, fixed! Looks like its being being eaten into by the seat mechanism so not sure if this will be a permanent fix but at least right now its fixed

Where exactly did you apply the tape?

Yes, please advise location of application..

Yes, please advise location of application..
I didn't even have to apply tape and just pressure worked. But yeah, if you had to it would be between the metal speaker cover and the plastic near the door. Opening the door is key to get to the area.
IMG_3973.jpg