Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh- dashboard creaking/ popping sound

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow... So first off, thank you. I just bought a brand new Plaid Model X (My 4th Tesla in 8 years) and the dash sounded like a 57 Chevy Truck. 100 miles only. Did it from day two and it was driving me totally insane. I read your note here and put some pressure in that area where the plastic dash meets the speaker grill like you suggested (with door open). I pushed hard on it and I was going to wedge something in there. To my surprise just doing that fixed it entirely. No wedge needed at this point. I had a service call scheduled for a few things but now I can tell them what I did to quiet it.
Where exactly did you apply the tape?
Ok, unfortunately, after pushing on that grill and getting the squeak to stop (for a day) its now back in a big way... Sigh... No bit of tweaking/wedging that spot works now. Back to the drawing board. I'll let you know what Tesla service says this week.

My refresh had a creek coming from what sounded like various parts of the dash during slow speed turns and dips. It turns out the noise is coming from the skid plate and could be easily heard from the outside of the car or with your windows down.

So if you have a noise that sounds like coming from various parts of the dash try it with the window down and your ear outside.

I fixed a very annoying creak that occurred going over bumps, turning and with any body flex. It sounded like it was coming from the door panel or dash, but turns out it was the side view mirror. The front plastic edge of mirror and interior metal corner of quarter panel had matching slight abrasions per this picture. I solved with thin piece of padded tape on the plastic.

94279758-609B-411B-8A0F-730449488776.jpeg

Any updates on this... Creaking noise seems to get worse when it's hot outside
They fixed to creaking issue i had. One was loud squeaking coming from the dash. They replaced the clips and it was silent again... Thank god! Then a weird clicking sound started happening on the right side only on excelleration and braking. That was there for a day and they solved that one too. Now no more clicking or squeaking. The clicking sound needed a soft shim inside they said. Now if I can just get the suddering/vibration out of the pedals on hard excellerations and braking I'll be a happy camper :)

If it is audible on the outside, it could be this:

Mine seems to be fixed. I followed some other posts including foam tape SoCal Buzz’s picture but also some tape above the screw in the frunk. It is near the the windshield there is a screw sticking up. I put tape on the actual hood above the screw. I also felt all the plastic that was covering the insides of the frunk was loose so put a bunch of foam tape in different spots so when I shook it there was no more noise or rattle. That seems to have solved the annoying issue. Very minor to most people but annoying none the less