Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Delivery Dates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Plaid March 3rd - no updates. This will be my first Tesla 🎉. What is the typical time from date you are notified that your EV is ready for delivery and the day you pick it up? I need the VIN to get insurance and complete financing. Stressful.

I ordered my Plaid March 3rd - no updates. This will be my first Tesla 🎉. What is the typical time from date you are notified that your EV is ready for delivery and the day you pick it up? I need the VIN to get insurance and complete financing. Stressful.
You gonna be waiting a minute still. VINs won't get assigned till a few days before delivery. Delivery at this point I wouldn't plan on till June/July probably August for us March orders. Hopefully.

Delivery at this point I wouldn't plan on till June/July probably August for us March orders. Hopefully.
So is the thinking then that April orders would be pushed to September? The 6/22-7/20 delivery estimate for my April 13 order is looking more and more unlikely everyday...

I suppose we can find some amount of solace in today's claims of "2,000 a week." If they play out, and production can ramp to those levels quickly, Tesla might be able to chew through the backlog relatively quickly.

Does anyone know the total number of refreshed MS that have been ordered? It'd be really great to have a sense of where each order is in the queue (e.g., based on my April order, there are ~19k orders ahead of me, so I should realistically expect the car no sooner than 19k/2k = 9.5 weeks after the first delivery).

So is the thinking then that April orders would be pushed to September? The 6/22-7/20 delivery estimate for my April 13 order is looking more and more unlikely everyday...

I suppose we can find some amount of solace in today's claims of "2,000 a week." If they play out, and production can ramp to those levels quickly, Tesla might be able to chew through the backlog relatively quickly.

Does anyone know the total number of refreshed MS that have been ordered? It'd be really great to have a sense of where each order is in the queue (e.g., based on my April order, there are ~19k orders ahead of me, so I should realistically expect the car no sooner than 19k/2k = 9.5 weeks after the first delivery).
I ordered MS in early January with the expectation of early March delivery, we all know this did not happen. I am hearing August and September. What concerns me is the lack of communication from Tesla. Give me an update stating you can't get processors or we are having programming issues, but don't leave us hanging on our 100k+ purchase. Don't get me wrong, I want this car. It will be my first Tesla. I even have two charging stations installed at my house, but no car. If the vehicle does in fact arrive in September, should we wait until the 2022s come out? Increasing the price, increasing the FSD which has been delayed forever, missed deadlines, and no communication..........................but I still want one so bad!

Reactions: HiHo&Tonto
I ordered MS in early January with the expectation of early March delivery, we all know this did not happen. I am hearing August and September. What concerns me is the lack of communication from Tesla. Give me an update stating you can't get processors or we are having programming issues, but don't leave us hanging on our 100k+ purchase. Don't get me wrong, I want this car. It will be my first Tesla. I even have two charging stations installed at my house, but no car. If the vehicle does in fact arrive in September, should we wait until the 2022s come out? Increasing the price, increasing the FSD which has been delayed forever, missed deadlines, and no communication..........................but I still want one so bad!
Two charging stations?

HI All:

I am not currently waiting for delivery on a refreshed MS or MX, but i have a bit of experience with Teslas having bought my first MS in 2014. IMHO Customer Communications is the achilles heel of Tesla, and it has only gotten worse over the years. I think it has reached a new low with this current refresh for MS/MX. The Cleanerwatt channel on youtube did some digging and may have some clues as to what is going on. That is, the reason(s) for the unusual delay. Including some of Elon's comments from the recent earnings call. see:

I went by my showroom yesterday to get an update on my order placed on the day of the update reveal. The person I chatted with told me deliveries are slated to start in “September for the first group but up to December for the second group.” She also told me I should receive an email with the updated projected delivery date soon. Since I don’t need the vehicle this is ok. Looking at other options but none as good as the Tesla. I was reminded how darn good these cars drive and the awesomeness of the interface when we took a road trip in my wife’s X yesterday.

I went by my showroom yesterday to get an update on my order placed on the day of the update reveal. The person I chatted with told me deliveries are slated to start in “September for the first group but up to December for the second group.” She also told me I should receive an email with the updated projected delivery date soon. Since I don’t need the vehicle this is ok. Looking at other options but none as good as the Tesla. I was reminded how darn good these cars drive and the awesomeness of the interface when we took a road trip in my wife’s X yesterday.

Rumor is we are all supposed to get an update by EOD tomorrow that's "realistically" close. I'm with you: there's nothing else out there either from an individual car perspective or with the charging network (nothing comes close here and why I also wouldn't buy a taycan or lucid).

If it is q4, I'm good to wait as well. It's going to be worth it 100%.

Also, perhaps it doesn't matter, but the website says September for new orders. Existing orders will start before any new orders of course.

Last edited:
Tesla is the best, period. However, the salespeople at the dealers really have no info to offer on delivery timing. Just like us customers, they too cannot get any solid delivery info out of the great and powerful Oz in Fremont.

I ordered by Model S LR on 3/23/21. At the time, it gave me a 10-14 week delivery window. The Order page in my Tesla account was just updated yesterday with a delivery date of "August".
Very similar experience for me--ordered in the first half of April and originally had a "10-14 week" delivery window that updated yesterday to August. My RN begins with 1147 and will be delivered to western PA, if that's informative for anyone else eagerly awaiting delivery and hoping to arrive at a more granular estimate.