Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: Homelink multiple signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As an update. I watch every time I close the garage/open the garage door now. I'm 100% sure now it's a double signal taking place. The little green icon on this image that pops up popped up TWICE upon tapping the button, which perfectly coincided with a closing and then opening of my garage door. This is a Tesla bug, through and through. It fails now around 30% of the time, with the double press.

Attachments

• 1629148121527.jpeg
    1629148121527.jpeg
    192.8 KB · Views: 100
Sure but perhaps some manufactures are more tolerant of repeated signaling within in a certain window and so some would see it and some wouldn’t.

Possibly... When you hit the HomeLink button, the green icon flashes TWICE when it works correctly, and FOUR times when it repeats the signal. Seems to me that any garage door will open in a situation like this. There's a significant enough delay between the presses for this error to occur, and since it's not consistent when the car will misfire, it's 100% the car's fault.

Possibly... When you hit the HomeLink button, the green icon flashes TWICE when it works correctly, and FOUR times when it repeats the signal. Seems to me that any garage door will open in a situation like this. There's a significant enough delay between the presses for this error to occur, and since it's not consistent when the car will misfire, it's 100% the car's fault.
Yeah you are probably right it should create havoc across the board

Is this your first Model S, or did you replace one such that you know this issue is unique to your new MS and did not exist with the prior one?

I suspect if you look you'll be able to find posts about similar behavior on prior models.

I've experienced this periodically with my Model S for several years, but also have the exact same situation with a Honda Odyssey minivan which I own. In my case it appears to be highly intermittent, not related to needing to readjust the force-sensitivity of the garage door as many will immediately suggest. It does seem more likely for me when I have other cars parked in the driveway in front of the pull-out we have on the side of the drive. This is the direction my car faces as I do the 90 degree left turn into my drive. I have pondered if it's a case of a secondary signal reflection off one of the parked cars as homelink is triggered while I'm still making the turn.

You might try adjusting where you have the "home" gps location saved for your car as well as the trigger distance to see if that maybe makes any difference. Other than that, not sure I can offer much help as I've chosen not to unlock my wallet to replace my mid-2016 MS90D with a new MS ... not that I haven't pondered it ... :)
Turn it off. My garage door came down on my carwhen using home link. What a mess and alot of damage. The mobile tech told me a story that one of the techs had the same problem. He stated it is common. Hope this helps.

Turn it off. My garage door came down on my carwhen using home link. What a mess and alot of damage. The mobile tech told me a story that one of the techs had the same problem. He stated it is common. Hope this helps.

I only use HomeLink for coming home. I won’t use auto-close that’s for sure…

I’m hoping Tesla can fix this bug. It’s a really simple one - sending a double signal.

I'm aware that some users have reported issues with doors closing on their cars. I've used homelink with my mid-2016 MS90D for five years without incident. I always manually open the door when leaving my garage (button switch on wall of garage by door into house). I have the home gps location set in my MS such that homelink does not trigger until I'm already about 10 feet out of my garage. I've had zero issues with double signals exiting my garage and letting home link auto close my door.

I'm well aware that home link does not have an up/down status flag, it's simply a push button trigger type of a signal. That's nothing to do with Tesla; that's the fundamental design of the HomeLink transponder broadcast. My only issues with double signals are when I approach my garage and homelink auto opening the door intermittently have what appears like a double signal. In that situation I have clear visual confirmation of the door behavior well before I reach the door.

I do NOT have homelink set to automatically open or close my door when using summon. I totally agree that's a very dangerous situation and one that I also would tend to discourage.

Reactions: WilliamG
I'm aware that some users have reported issues with doors closing on their cars. I've used homelink with my mid-2016 MS90D for five years without incident. I always manually open the door when leaving my garage (button switch on wall of garage by door into house). I have the home gps location set in my MS such that homelink does not trigger until I'm already about 10 feet out of my garage. I've had zero issues with double signals exiting my garage and letting home link auto close my door.

I'm well aware that home link does not have an up/down status flag, it's simply a push button trigger type of a signal. That's nothing to do with Tesla; that's the fundamental design of the HomeLink transponder broadcast. My only issues with double signals are when I approach my garage and homelink auto opening the door intermittently have what appears like a double signal. In that situation I have clear visual confirmation of the door behavior well before I reach the door.

I do NOT have homelink set to automatically open or close my door when using summon. I totally agree that's a very dangerous situation and one that I also would tend to discourage.

100% this.

It might just be in my head, but with the 2021.24 release, the double signaling problem so far seems to occur less frequently. Although it does still appear to be happening.
I’m on 2021.24.4 now, and the problem seems to be fixed. I can use homelink again without reversing my garage door several times per day! It’s a small win but I’ll take it…

Seems many are having the same problem. Has everyone with the problem on their in-warranty car opened up a service ticket to get the problem fixed? If Tesla gets 50 or so (the amount just on TMC), they will likely figure something is wrong and fix it. Otherwise they will be spending money with service replacing parts and doing unnecessary labor. Either way, Tesla can be informed and start corrective actions if you use the processes they have set up to start getting this issue fixed. Please open a service ticket in the app if you have not yet done so.

So the double homeland action appears to be fixed, at least for me. My current issue is inconsistency with tapping the close button. I don't use auto close on my car, mostly because my garage is a little tricky to get out of. When I tap the the close button, I usually have to hit it twice to get it to trigger. I have tried a long press, quick double tap, but it doesn't seem to change it. The screen itself responds like it acknowledges the tap, but it doesn't show the green signal button, but the second time gets it to work. Anybody else having this issue?

Reactions: impastu
So the double homeland action appears to be fixed, at least for me. My current issue is inconsistency with tapping the close button. I don't use auto close on my car, mostly because my garage is a little tricky to get out of. When I tap the the close button, I usually have to hit it twice to get it to trigger. I have tried a long press, quick double tap, but it doesn't seem to change it. The screen itself responds like it acknowledges the tap, but it doesn't show the green signal button, but the second time gets it to work. Anybody else having this issue?

Yes. I’ve been having the issue on 2021.32.5. I thought it was me, but it’s not after paying closer attention to it. It simply doesn’t respond to that first press at times.

Reactions: impastu