Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: Homelink multiple signals?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those with a new Model S - any issues with your homelink seemingly sending multiple signals? In other words, when you activate homelink does your garage door ever start to move then stop? And possibly even start reversing?

This is happening rather frequently to me. With two different garage doors at two different locations. Both of them happen to be Chamberlain B970s though. I've tried reprogramming both several times with no noticeable improvement. Never had this issue with my previous MS Performance, so I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this or if it's just me.

Is this your first Model S, or did you replace one such that you know this issue is unique to your new MS and did not exist with the prior one?

I suspect if you look you'll be able to find posts about similar behavior on prior models.

I've experienced this periodically with my Model S for several years, but also have the exact same situation with a Honda Odyssey minivan which I own. In my case it appears to be highly intermittent, not related to needing to readjust the force-sensitivity of the garage door as many will immediately suggest. It does seem more likely for me when I have other cars parked in the driveway in front of the pull-out we have on the side of the drive. This is the direction my car faces as I do the 90 degree left turn into my drive. I have pondered if it's a case of a secondary signal reflection off one of the parked cars as homelink is triggered while I'm still making the turn.

You might try adjusting where you have the "home" gps location saved for your car as well as the trigger distance to see if that maybe makes any difference. Other than that, not sure I can offer much help as I've chosen not to unlock my wallet to replace my mid-2016 MS90D with a new MS ... not that I haven't pondered it ... :)

Did not have this problem with my previous model S. Also, never had this issue with any other homelink system, but in most cars it’s just a button that you push until the garage door starts moving then you, ah, stop pushing.

So the multiple signal problem is kind of unique to Teslas with homelink triggered by the MCU for an unknown ‘push’ duration where it apparently repeats the signal several times. There’s a thread somewhere about Porsche Taycans having a similar problem but no resolution there. I’m mainly just curious if this is a common issue with the Model S refresh or if it’s something specific to my circumstances…

I have exactly the same issue on my new Model S. I never had this problem on my Model 3 for the 2.5 years I owned it. It's really annoying! Does anyone have a solution? I pull up near my garage and it sends the signal, and then again once it opened a tiny bit, so it stops. Gawd, it's driving me nuts.

Last edited:
For those with a new Model S - any issues with your homelink seemingly sending multiple signals? In other words, when you activate homelink does your garage door ever start to move then stop? And possibly even start reversing?

This is happening rather frequently to me. With two different garage doors at two different locations. Both of them happen to be Chamberlain B970s though. I've tried reprogramming both several times with no noticeable improvement. Never had this issue with my previous MS Performance, so I'm curious if anyone else is seeing this or if it's just me.
Also seeing this issue with 2021 Model S LR. When arriving home, garage door usually opens fully with no issues at all - roughly 75% of the time. Other times, it starts to open then stops after opening just 1 or 2 feet. Then have to manually touch once to start to re-close and then again to open. Have recently tried adjusting (increasing) the HomeLink 'Auto-open when arriving' distance and also clicked the HomeLink 'Reset location' with my vehicle sitting at the leading edge of my driveway (maybe 20 feet from front bumper to garage door instead of original programmed location 5 feet to garage door) and will see if those changes eliminate or reduce the frequency of the issue, but no idea if they will. Just thought I'd try stuff. Hope to have a better sense in another week or read about an actual solution somewhere here.

Reactions: WilliamG
I’ve been having this issue in my 2020 Model for the past few months. Happens when I’m in the garage trying to exit and when I get home on auto open.

Never had this issue previously. It seemed to happen more under my wife’s profile. So we deleted her profile and also deleted the Homelink configuration and resynced with no luck.

• Informative
Never happened on my 2018 MS, but yes its happening on my refresh. I couldn't even get my 2 doors to pair until last week and now this. I'm also pretty sure that sometimes I tap garage 1 and its sending to both or garage 2. I thought it was me, but now I don't think so.

Never happened on my 2018 MS, but yes its happening on my refresh. I couldn't even get my 2 doors to pair until last week and now this. I'm also pretty sure that sometimes I tap garage 1 and its sending to both or garage 2. I thought it was me, but now I don't think so.

Nope not just you. With more people getting these cars, hopefully it’ll get fixed. For now, it will just drive me nuts.

I don’t have much hope of this being fixed. Seems like it’s been an issue for years with some of these cars.

Considering Homelink was working perfectly fine during the first year of ownership on my X, I'm hopeful it will be fixed. As mentioned, it's only been an issue for me in the last few months.

Also, I noticed this started happening as I received the "Parking Assist Unavailable" popups more in the past few months. More on that thread here. Curious if it's related at all.

Reactions: n1h1 and cbdoc
Considering Homelink was working perfectly fine during the first year of ownership on my X, I'm hopeful it will be fixed. As mentioned, it's only been an issue for me in the last few months.

Also, I noticed this started happening as I received the "Parking Assist Unavailable" popups more in the past few months. More on that thread here. Curious if it's related at all.

Could be, and then perhaps carried over to the refresh Model S (not seen this error, but then again there's no auto-park on the new S quite yet unless you're getting early software updates as part of the EAP).

This is exactly my situation on 2020 X.

Reactions: SUP THO
When this issue occurs, I can literally see the Homelink indicator blink for 2+ seconds. When the issue doesn't occur, the blink will happen for less than 1 seconds for a successful open/close. This observation in conjunction with not having this issue during the first year of ownership makes me think it's a software bug.

Is there an easy way for us to report this to Tesla to review? I don't think the service advisors are passing any of this info on to the right people.

• Informative
When this issue occurs, I can literally see the Homelink indicator blink for 2+ seconds. When the issue doesn't occur, the blink will happen for less than 1 seconds for a successful open/close. This observation in conjunction with not having this issue during the first year of ownership makes me think it's a software bug.

Is there an easy way for us to report this to Tesla to review? I don't think the service advisors are passing any of this info on to the right people.

Yes, when it happens next - just schedule service in the app - they reach out to you beforehand anyway, and then you can explain the timestamp of when it happened, what's happening etc.

I also have observed this exact behavior over the last couple of months (intermittent reversing) and it worked fine since I got the car (Dec 2019) - 2020 MXP. I have a liftmaster 8500w, which is a subsidiary of chamberlain. I had been wondering if it was the garage door opener itself, since it acts like a bad tension trigger, but the alarm + light flicker arent triggerd so multiple signaling would explain it.

I also have observed this exact behavior over the last couple of months (intermittent reversing) and it worked fine since I got the car (Dec 2019) - 2020 MXP. I have a liftmaster 8500w, which is a subsidiary of chamberlain. I had been wondering if it was the garage door opener itself, since it acts like a bad tension trigger, but the alarm + light flicker arent triggerd so multiple signaling would explain it.

I’m going to put my money on Tesla issues versus any of our garage door openers when they were working perfectly fine not too long ago.