Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh interior door trim misalignment

Tigers

MSLR, RN: 1144, Red/White, 19s, EDD: 10/30 - 11/13
Mar 10, 2020
Solace...
Moving to its own thread, for anyone that give a *sugar*. Looks like the interior door trim on the Model S Plaid's that have been delivered is in fact misaligned (on all sides) and it also appears that because the trim misalignment is the same, it is actually a design flaw of the door module.

For those of us who care about fit and finish, puts us in a place of either get the hell over it because its just a cosmetic thing, wait 6-12 months for Tesla to fix it or buy something else. Not sure which group I fall into.

These pictures are a collection from 4 different cars. The front trim I could live with, but the rear left passenger trim appears to be the most egregious.

Screenshot_31.png

Screenshot_32.png

Screenshot_30.png

Screenshot_29.png

i-qVdjRH7-X2.jpg

Reactions: JimLL

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
Moving to its own thread, for anyone that give a *sugar*. Looks like the interior door trim on the Model S Plaid's that have been delivered is in fact misaligned (on all sides) and it also appears that because the trim misalignment is the same, it is actually a design flaw of the door module.

For those of us who care about fit and finish, puts us in a place of either get the hell over it because its just a cosmetic thing, wait 6-12 months for Tesla to fix it or buy something else. Not sure which group I fall into.

These pictures are a collection from 3 different cars:

View attachment 675504

View attachment 675503
View attachment 675505
View attachment 675506
All 4 doors misaligned in one car or potentially all 4 doors can be misaligned (so a mix of good and bad in any car)?

Very disappointing to say the least.

Tigers

Mar 10, 2020
Solace...
All 4 doors misaligned in one car or potentially all 4 doors can be misaligned (so a mix of good and bad in any car)?

Very disappointing to say the least.

No, these pictures are from 4 different cars. so every car has this issue and it appears the trim is misaligned on all four doors of each car, meaning its a design issue that probably cant be fixed immediately.

• Informative
Reactions: SilverGS

Sbaimo

12/15 LR black/white 21” no FSD delivered 6/30
Jan 26, 2021
Hancock Park Los Angeles
When I get my mew LR I am not sharing any photos with TMC. I just don’t want the scrutinizers to point out any imperfections that were not bothering me.
mid they get like Ted out to me, I will start
Obsessing on every little imperfection and squeeze the joy out of my new ride.

I do understand why others enjoy every little imperfection pointed out. But if there is a window or lining that has some rubber or fabric not finished perfectly and it doesn’t bother me, I am better off.
In fact, if my LR does 0-60 in 4 seconds instead of 3 seconds I’m ok with that too. The predicted 0-60 of the LR is faster than most exotic ( Ferrari,
McLaren, etc) cars costing 4 times as much.
The only thing that is/will bother me is that I have no idea when my car will be delivered. Ordered 12/15

Tigers

Mar 10, 2020
Solace...
When I get my mew LR I am not sharing any photos with TMC. I just don’t want the scrutinizers to point out any imperfections that were not bothering me.
mid they get like Ted out to me, I will start
Obsessing on every little imperfection and squeeze the joy out of my new ride.

I do understand why others enjoy every little imperfection pointed out. But if there is a window or lining that has some rubber or fabric not finished perfectly and it doesn’t bother me, I am better off.
In fact, if my LR does 0-60 in 4 seconds instead of 3 seconds I’m ok with that too. The predicted 0-60 of the LR is faster than most exotic ( Ferrari,
McLaren, etc) cars costing 4 times as much.
The only thing that is/will bother me is that I have no idea when my car will be delivered. Ordered 12/15

Trust me, I wish I hadn't seen it either. In omars original pictures I only notice the front a little off but no big deal. When dcher showed that angle of the backseat, it looked absolutely horrible and is the first thing I saw. Since then, every time I see a pic of the interior I notice it and it makes me feel sad.

i wish i hadnt seen pictures at this point, probably wouldnt have noticed it until well into ownership of the car. now ill literally look the first 30 seconds of the vehicle on the lot.

wish they had gone more with the model 3 design, where the white parts dont touch and where the silver parts dont touch. for me, though, a lot of the major improvements they made for quality are going to be undone by this, as it makes it look amateur and poorly built.

Tigers

Mar 10, 2020
Solace...
It will have to be or he won’t accept delivery

I don't need to see it to know it isn't going to be. Trying to make a decision on when or if to cancel.

I guess, unlike some, when I look at a premium product I expect that product to look premium. This is just laughable at this point.

There are clearly some who will take whatever Tesla spits out. Some who just deal with it because it's often worth it and some who want to make sure that initial issues are addressed. I don't understand why people have such attitudes about that.

RMG007

Secret Member
Mar 8, 2015
San Diego
I don't need to see it to know it isn't going to be. Trying to make a decision on when or if to cancel.

I guess, unlike some, when I look at a premium product I expect that product to look premium. This is just laughable at this point.

There are clearly some who will take whatever Tesla spits out. Some who just deal with it because it's often worth it and some who want to make sure that initial issues are addressed. I don't understand why people have such attitudes about that.
No attitude whatsoever. Just a statement. Nothing to get upset about, unless it was inaccurate.

Reactions: croman

Ormond

Jul 10, 2016
Central Florida

In my limited experience, that’s part of owning a Tesla. You’re buying the latest technology and charging network. The build quality isn’t comparable with a premium automobile.

Reactions: Drew-MS

Tigers

Mar 10, 2020
Solace...
In my limited experience, that’s part of owning a Tesla. You’re buying the latest technology and charging network. The build quality isn’t comparable with a premium automobile.

Agreed BUT - I think with something like this, they will realize and fix it before the end of the year ish. So the question becomes, is it worth dealing with or is it worth waiting longer. Been waiting forever for the car and it is a cosmetic but not technical issue so both it wont hurt my driving experience and its not something they can OTA. IDK - at this point without a date or VIN, Im just praying and hoping someone has already realized the issue and they are addressing it now.

Reactions: Drew-MS

omarsultan

Supporting Member
Jun 22, 2013
Northern California
Went and took a closer look. From the outside the door creases line up perfectly, so that is not an actual frame/body issue. From the inside, there is some mis-alignment, but it is not nearly as noticeable as is in the pictures. On my car the front doors are perfect and the back door to b-pillar alignment is perfect, but the back door to quarter panel alignment if off at the top of the door by maybe 3/16". It is strange because at the midway point the panel is aligned, but the top is off, so I guess is some manufacturing variance in play. That area is all curves, so the alignment is not apparent unless you are really looking at it.

For me, it's not enough that it bothers me, certainly within the context of the car as a whole. Others, I am sure, may have a different threshold.

** fixed typos and meant to say 3/16" not 3/8"

Last edited:

Drew-MS

Nov 13, 2019
New York
Went and took a closer look. From the outside the door creases line up perfectly, so that is not an actual frame/body issue. From the inside, there is some mis-alignment, but it is not nearly as noticeable as is in the pictures. On my car the front doors are perfect and the back door to b-pillar alignment is perfect, but the back door to quarter panel alignment if off at the top of the door by maybe 3/16". It is strange because at the midway point the panel is aligned, but the top is off, so I guess is some manufacturing variance in play. That area is all curves, so the alignment is not apparent unless you are really looking at it.

For me, it's not enough that it bothers me, certainly within the context of the car as a whole. Others, I am sure, may have a different threshold.

** fixed typos and meant to say 3/16" not 3/8"
It's really not that serious. The refresh is leaps and bounds nicer in every way compared to the prior S. Not everything is perfect but did anyone expect otherwise. Tesla stepped up their game in a big way with this car.

lbowroom

Plaid, white with black, CF, 19’s. Delivered 8/27
Sep 12, 2018
Orange County
Now I’m compelled to comb the internet to see how the others are at matching internal trim lines. Honestly Tigers, I think you’re a charlatan. “I really love and want a Tesla but I find so many problems……” yawn

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC