Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: License Holder Part of Bumper?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, do you really think Tesla would force an ugly license plate holder on us if it wasn't required? I'm fairly confident it's removable and the front is smooth when it's not on. Have a little faith in the designers at Tesla.

After how they butchered the classic (i.e. non-AP) instrument cluster design? I don't think so. I have no faith in the designers at Tesla anymore.

Agreed. I would think (and hope) that it bolts underneath and just uses double sided tape on the front to prevent the mount from rubbing against the front and scratching the paint.

Thanks Erik

if you look at this photo, you see total 5 screws/bolts. I am sure some of them are going through the bumper.
2016_04_18_154508.jpg

Sales rep at Sunnyvale swears there are holes on the bumper..

if you look at this photo, you see total 5 screws/bolts. I am sure some of them are going through the bumper.
2016_04_18_154508.jpg

2016_04_18_154508.jpg

I agree, looks to me like 3 screws going through the front plastic panel to attach it to the car. 2 small holes at the top of the plate older for the number plate to attach to. I can't explain the piece going under the bottom section, maybe they thing it adds to the design. The previous black nose cone seemed to get complaints there was no simple mount solution, this addresses that I guess. But if it comes pre-attached and pre-drilled, that would be disappointing. I don't want to have to be worried about patching holes on my brand new car! :/

This thread cracks me up. We won't know for sure until someone unbolts the beastie and takes a picture of it.

In the meantime, in the spirit of improving customer service, may I suggest you make a note of what you were told by the SC/DS/Whoever, and when the truth is finally revealed, if what they told you was wrong, go back to them and (nicely) point that out. Tesla doesn't need guesses and BS coming from the customer-facing folks. Just a thought...