Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Long Range - GPS/Location off by blocks. Sometimes Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brunla

MS-LR / MSM / Black / Arachnid / FSD
Dec 22, 2020
Los Angeles
For quite some time my GPS is sometimes on target, but mostly off target. It shows me driving through buildings. Worse off it constantly reroutes me on highways thinking I am on side streets. I got FSD Beta around the same time I got tinting on my windows. Tesla said this is a "known issue" but there has been no software update or new map update that has fixed it. Basically I can't even use regular autopilot on a freeways because of the rerouting. Been happening for months. Anybody else have this and have any luck on getting it fixed? Could it be possible the window tinting is causing a disturbance with the GPS antenna? (It said it would not affect electronic signals).

Attachments

• 20220116_091318_2.jpg
    20220116_091318_2.jpg
    766.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 20220312_113343.jpg
    20220312_113343.jpg
    508.1 KB · Views: 109
For quite some time my GPS is sometimes on target, but mostly off target. It shows me driving through buildings. Worse off it constantly reroutes me on highways thinking I am on side streets. I got FSD Beta around the same time I got tinting on my windows. Tesla said this is a "known issue" but there has been no software update or new map update that has fixed it. Basically I can't even use regular autopilot on a freeways because of the rerouting. Been happening for months. Anybody else have this and have any luck on getting it fixed? Could it be possible the window tinting is causing a disturbance with the GPS antenna? (It said it would not affect electronic signals).
I had the exact same issue on my first Plaid (delivered June 2021) - it kind of came on in Nov and I had the issue up until literally the day before my service appt (got hit and totalled). I had the windows tinted from the day after pickup until the accident (5+ months) without a single issue, and haven't had any issues on my current plaid (windows tinted as well) so I would say it has less to do with the tint and maybe more to do with a batch of the antennas (since we had deliveries close to each other).

Service couldn't figure out or do anything pre-visit. I think someone told me that if they have to replace the GPS antenna, that may result in them having to replace rear windshield glass too, which is a bummer since it would need to be re-tinted

It depends if you have metallic tint, which is less common these days. My GPS issues came before I tinted (ceramic) so tinting isn't it. It would be few hundred ft off and drift to 3 miles off. It sometimes fixes its of, reset also helps most of the time but not all. This issue seems fairly common, just dropped off my car (refreshed LR, Oct 2021) to Tesla today.

Had this same issue and they replaced a bunch of parts including the mcu. They replaced the antenna on a previous visit but that wasn’t the issue. These are the parts they replaced which fixed the issue:
TLA,AP-T,CONN- Q,MCU-Z,MSX FUSED.

Someone on another thread said this is a known issue with a gps related wire getting interference from the cabin camera. Insulating the wire fixes the issue. Maybe by replacing all those parts it included the new insulated wire? Unsure.

Reactions: brunla
To those who have had GPS location issues on your car. (It shows your location as being slightly off to miles away.) After 8 months of hell, they found a "temporary" fix. The cabin camera wire was somehow causing "interference" to the GPS. It needs to be insulated until they can find a permanent solution.
For now it has been working fine for the last two weeks. Fingers crossed it continues on. There was no need for MCU replacement.

To those who have had GPS location issues on your car. (It shows your location as being slightly off to miles away.) After 8 months of hell, they found a "temporary" fix. The cabin camera wire was somehow causing "interference" to the GPS. It needs to be insulated until they can find a permanent solution.
For now it has been working fine for the last two weeks. Fingers crossed it continues on. There was no need for MCU replacement.
I have the same issue. The tech from fremont tesla service center told me it’s a software issue. I know it’s not, but he insist it is. I’m taking the car in again to ask them fix it

I have the same issue. The tech from fremont tesla service center told me it’s a software issue. I know it’s not, but he insist it is. I’m taking the car in again to ask them fix it
I finally got it fixed. They insisted it was a software issue as well, and when I threatened lemon law they finally figured it out. The cabin camera wire needs to be insulated as it causes interference with the GPS. They told me there is an adhesive tape they wrapped around it. It's supposedly a temporary fix until a "new updated camera" comes out. It's been about a month and it is working much better. It's maybe 10 feet off at times, but better than miles away.

I finally got it fixed. They insisted it was a software issue as well, and when I threatened lemon law they finally figured it out. The cabin camera wire needs to be insulated as it causes interference with the GPS. They told me there is an adhesive tape they wrapped around it. It's supposedly a temporary fix until a "new updated camera" comes out. It's been about a month and it is working much better. It's maybe 10 feet off at times, but better than miles away.
Thanks for letting me know. I just talked to a lemon law attorney friend today and he thought it’s a good opportunity for class action lawsuit. But his business partner talked him down for many seasons. I also didn’t want go that far. Just wanted to get my car fixed.

May I ask which service center fixed it for you? I might just take my car to the same service center to get it fixed since the one in fremont has no clue about how to fix it