Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh mentioned @ Burbank Studio Grand Opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an inside source who works in a firm that has completed work on redesigned lights (head lights, etc) for a refresh of the Model S. This project has been ongoing for 6+ months. He confirmed it wasn't for the X, but the S.
Take that for what you will. I don't think the refresh is imminent, and have no other information on timeframe.

Reactions: gsxdsm
I guess its going to define on how you define "refresh". I believe its all hands on deck for the Model 3 (I believe JB just said this last week), so I don't see any major changes. Incremental cosmetic stuff like a new nosecone, different headlights, sure, but, to be honest, that's acting like an ICE manufacturer, which would be a bit disappointing.

Went to the Black Tie event last night at the Burbank Studio, Service, and Supercharger Center.

Probably the only triple in the USA? To have all services under one roof.

Great location, right next to the worlds largest IKEA, which is under construction.

But what was said was interesting. Next year the Model S will be refreshed. Complete with a new Front end. The nose cone will be replaced with the Model X front end as well as a huge list of other changes. They said that we should see some great pricing on CPO vehicles come fall. I dont know who these people were, providing this information at this event, if corporate or non Tesla employees. And Im sure this is probably old news, and everybody already knew of this.

Back to the Burbank Studio. Congrats to all, you guys have one heck of a center. Great group of employees. This could be the Tesla model of Studios to come.
Providing your one stop Tesla shop.

Did you get the sense that they meant early next year or late next year? When you say Fall - do you mean Fall 2015?

I was planning on ordering Dec 1st, but if changes are imminent I don't mind waiting...

As someone who has an open order for an S right now I like the current look. If I didn't I wouldn't have ordered the car. Tesla refreshing stuff wouldn't be as drastic as some companies but if so I'd rather get the last ones of the current generation verses the first ones of the new gen.

later this year, interesting how the title of my thread changed too...the individual stated that a drop in CPO prices would be seen in December

Thank you! Any more details you can share? Did you get a sense they'd drop CPO prices in December and then announce changes or announce changes and drop CPO prices around the same time?

- - - Updated - - -

The nose cone will be replaced with the Model X front end as well as a huge list of other changes.

Insight into other changes that were mentioned?

We should start a refresh announcement date poll....

I'm going with 2/16/2016. No reason other than it will be my younger boy's 10th birthday. Plus Model III is planned for intro in March.

Big items:
1. New nose
2. LED Headlights
3. Ventilated seats - update to the back seats - interior fit/finish
4. New filtration (whatever they call it on the X....DEFCON 5...)

And yes... here is my wildcard....

5. Panoramic roof goes away and we get the new X windshield.

All pure speculation of course, but keep in mind that I frequent the Mothership often when I'm down in San Jose....

I like everything in the list but not the panoramic windshield. The Model X can't easily have an opening sunroof due to the FWD and the panoramic windshield is a nice compromise. I use the sunroof all the time when the weather is nice and not having a functional sunroof would be a big deal for me. I'm not interested in a Model X partly due to the lack of a functional sunroof.

I like everything in the list but not the panoramic windshield. The Model X can't easily have an opening sunroof due to the FWD and the panoramic windshield is a nice compromise. I use the sunroof all the time when the weather is nice and not having a functional sunroof would be a big deal for me. I'm not interested in a Model X partly due to the lack of a functional sunroof.
My biggest fear is how much it costs to replace a model x windshield

Great, right when I'm about to order I read this thread. LED headlights and Ventilated would be sweet. I could take or leave the new nose depending on styling and the HEPA filter would be cool but not a big deal.

My biggest concern is that the refreshed models will have higher resale value and the prior to refresh models will drop in value/more numerous.

Who's waiting or not? :scared:

Yeah, it just makes sense to bring consistency between the S and the X from a design, supply chain and production point of view.

The LED headlights and Ventilated seats are a given. Nose cone redesign is on the cards to have a common theme going. Timing may be tricky as they need to get the X ramped up first.

Right, Elon's mention of "no changes to the S for a year" from Oct 2014 - there was even a followup email on that - was an outright fib, in hindsight.

I haven't seen the X in person, but the idea of the panoramic windshield to me just seems overkill.

I want a sunroof that I can open. Love the fresh air when your not on the freeway.

The only place to me that a panoramic windshield makes sense to me is in Yosemite when your looking way up. But unless you drive a lot with a ton of people in the car, nah.

The information was from a credible source. No microphone announcing to the crowd. Just a heads up to a friend of mine thats wants a Model S
who was at the event with me. He expressed interest and was told, if he could, to hold off till December. That prices will be better on CPO cars. I had made my choice already, and Im not going to wait, I pick up my Tesla today......I'm going to have a Tesla...