Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh mud flaps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried installing these over the weekend on my new model S- driver side went in no problem, passenger side the bottom plastic rivet refused to go in at all. Ended up breaking it. Now I have one installed and one not. Service said they are willing to assist.
You can order a push rivet kit on amazon to have spares. Very low $ and lots of sizes in a kit. Good to have with some many of these plastic push pins on a Tesla.

Here is one example https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0734RB6XG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Installed today and they won't work on lowered or 19" wheels in low setting.

Attachments

• D30B47D1-4FBC-45C3-9038-5CE9B2F92E81.jpeg
    D30B47D1-4FBC-45C3-9038-5CE9B2F92E81.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 9CE4D117-93C0-4F08-B240-007660DC3066.jpeg
    9CE4D117-93C0-4F08-B240-007660DC3066.jpeg
    556 KB · Views: 120
pic shown are with
Wait wait, the OEM mudflaps are actively scraping the ground by several inches with the 19s on Low?

Given that Low is 5.4" and Very High is 6.9", it looks like even Very High would still have them scraping the ground.

Am I missing something?
Pic shown are with 20s on low setting lowered with links.

Also have them on my other plaid with 21s on links and they also touch the floor on lowest setting.

These flaps are going to rub regardless of you are on 19s and on lowest setting.

FYI For those without aftermarket lowering options… I have mine on my car with both OEM 19s and OEM 21s and they do not touch like that. The do sit very low and will scrap on dips and speed bumps.

I cut 3/4” off and have not heard a scrape since (currently running my 21s).
Thanks for this info. I have the 19s and have been debating how much to cut away when these arrive in a day or two.

It does not matter what size wheel you have - the OEM 19 and 21 have the same overall diameter so the radius of each wheel/tire is the same. This will not change the distance for the flaps to the ground. The links will lower the body to the ground or a different (other than OEM) size wheel/tire can lower. I have switched from 21 to 20 and back to 21 - all had the same OAD and car never changed height.

@C4sxm5 has an OAD of 26.7" (OEM is approx. 28") and he is on lowering links so he is an extreme case on this one. Not sure how much the links lower it but over 1/2" is accounted for with his wheel/tire combo. The good news is that his are "self-adjusting" as it is driven.

I hate mud flaps but see them as probably needed on this car. So I am trying them tonight and will see how much needs to be trimmed.

Last edited:
pic shown are with
Pic shown are with 20s on low setting lowered with links.

Also have them on my other plaid with 21s on links and they also touch the floor on lowest setting.

These flaps are going to rub regardless of you are on 19s and on lowest setting.
I mean..the "lowered with links" part is kinda important/should have been mentioned upfront. LOL

Installed the new ones on my MS 2022 LR. Same experience as everyone else. It keeps scraping the ground even with minimal bumps on the road. I read someone saying, cutting off 1/2 an inch helped with the scraping issues. I should’ve done that before I installed them.

Installed the new ones on my MS 2022 LR. Same experience as everyone else. It keeps scraping the ground even with minimal bumps on the road. I read someone saying, cutting off 1/2 an inch helped with the scraping issues. I should’ve done that before I installed them.
Good news is that they are easy to remove, cut and reinstall. I would do 3/4”.

Reactions: mtbwalt