Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A6F6011C-8BFC-4DC2-9893-C4F6F76FFEB0.jpeg

Settled on final clip shape. About to cut first test front with the clip (after a few meetings. 😅)

Ok I believe this is the final clip shape:

98621B29-9AF4-4140-8B5F-101D32AB1E90.jpeg

Pre gapped so it won’t be under high stress under the fender.

It’s all kinds of ugly on the back:
EA69357B-CC1F-4623-A202-C6E3C68FF18A.jpeg

Not really any way around this without a proper thermoform mold, which I don’t have.

But the portion that you can see once installed is fine:

AC0D0511-DAD1-41A7-A00F-C0BDADD9D495.jpeg

And here is the “scrap” piece on a fender:
2D2434A1-15F2-4DA9-81F8-9547B4E980A3.jpeg

Reactions: StiTChEs37 and Bull
Ok I believe this is the final clip shape:

View attachment 739168

Pre gapped so it won’t be under high stress under the fender.

It’s all kinds of ugly on the back:View attachment 739167

Not really any way around this without a proper thermoform mold, which I don’t have.

But the portion that you can see once installed is fine:

View attachment 739169

And here is the “scrap” piece on a fender:
View attachment 739166
Nice creative work!

I wonder if the tension in the thermoplastic loop will be retained over time and temperature, or if it will loosen?
It’s not “spring steel,” after all!

Nice creative work!

I wonder if the tension in the thermoplastic loop will be retained over time and temperature, or if it will loosen?
It’s not “spring steel,” after all!
ABS has a glass transition temperature of around 221 F, so it should remain ductile up until and slightly past the point where water would be boiling. So it … should. Be fine.

I’d be more concerned about brittleness. ABS becomes brittle below about -20F, which for some of you folks in CA might be an issue. But so would the entire mud flap at that point. (Big rock could crack it). That’s why I pre-gapped the clip so it would be under minimum stress.

That’s probably why most mud flaps are made of some form of Injection molded Neoprene which stays useable until about -50F.

Edit: Also worth pointing out the nylon fastners holding your fender wells in and rocker panels on etc are probably made of nylon 6,6 (with some extra stuff) which also has a minimum service temperature of between -40 F and -22 F. They, like the mud flaps, are fine at those temps but may shatter/break if subjected to stress.

Last edited: