Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For the C-Clips I used 1/4”x20 U-Type Body Fastners (M6 1.0 will work too).

For the corresponding bolts I took 1/4” 20 1/2” Bolts and trimmed them down to about 5.5-6.5mm and also trimmed the neck of the U bolt so it would not exceed the thickness of the material. I then added 2 flat washers to the bolt head.

View attachment 738168View attachment 738169

The reason the bolt has to be shortened is so it does not stick into the inner portion of the c clip which will scratch the fender.

This is not optimal, I’m up for better suggestions.

I would like a better bolt/fastener, but the C Clip must stay unless you want to drill, have to slot/thermoform the plastic (hard), or permanently damage your bumper/fender (aggressive clips with teeth).

This fastener BARES NO LOAD. It is simply there to keep the neck of the flap firm against the fender and orient the flap.
Are your kits going to include the hardware, too? Just want to make sure I’m prepared. More than happy to pay for hardware of course (would prefer it if not any trouble for you).

Reactions: jleonk
@M4H4X PS. I fear some company will rip off your design and will mass produce them in Asia for record profit. Protect your IP the best you can, unless you don’t really care if someone does that.
🤷‍♂️ I don’t really care. My goal was to force the market to produce something, maybe this will work. If not, I’m gonna have my hands full. I produce each of these by hand, it’s a lot of work.

🤷‍♂️ I don’t really care. My goal was to force the market to produce something, maybe this will work. If not, I’m gonna have my hands full. I produce each of these by hand, it’s a lot of work.
@M4H4X Maybe reach out and offer to sell the design to a couple of the Tesla product producers, or establish a royalty agreement for use of your IP? Just trying to get you paid, is all!

@M4H4X Maybe reach out and offer to sell the design to a couple of the Tesla product producers, or establish a royalty agreement for use of your IP? Just trying to get you paid, is all!
That would be nice. Honestly Tesla should offer these in their shop. They look OEM in person.

Edit: And have them mass produced somehow. The clip is the challenge. Would probably have to injection mold the whole flap. (Vs cutting and molding from extruded plastic like me.)

Reactions: nwd89
I don't have my car yet, but would definitely be interested in a set as well! My only fear is living in Minnesota with our massive temperature swings. Think it'd be ok in the occasional -10 degree day? Or do you think it'd shatter or something? Nice work on these, they look phenomenal!

I am so happy to find this thread. I have been so focused on the delivery threads that I forgot to continue to look at all the great wealth of information elsewhere on this forum.
I am definitely in, and willing to pay for your time and efforts.

@M4H4X I have no serious tools and not much mechanical aptitude. :) If the install can be done w/o removing tires, and with some basic know-how: would love to be added to the backlog list.

If it's too late, totally understand. It's been great fun to watch this unfold, in any case.

Planetary, there are a couple of solutions in this thread if you go way back. One is off the shelf (Pro-FIT #1 flaps) that can be installed with some basic know how and you don't have to fabricate. All good solutions. I feel sorry for M4H4X as he created a great product but probably loses a grand in his time in labor making them or more ;-)

Reactions: planetary
Planetary, there are a couple of solutions in this thread if you go way back. One is off the shelf (Pro-FIT #1 flaps) that can be installed with some basic know how and you don't have to fabricate. All good solutions. I feel sorry for M4H4X as he created a great product but probably loses a grand in his time in labor making them or more ;-)
But, he will have the love of this TMC fellowship to fall back on!