Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Final Tesla OEM flap update. I cut exactly 1” off the bottom of the flaps before going on a spirited drive in the mountains. They STILL scrape badly with suspension on low and sport mode just in hard cornering. This is nuts and There is no way elon tested these before shipping.

Last edited:
Final Tesla flap update. I cut exactly 1” off the bottom of the flaps before going on a spirited drive in the mountains. They STILL scrape badly with suspension on low and sport mode just in hard cornering. This is nuts and There is no way elon tested these before shipping.
I doubt Elon personally tests anything like this... I would agree that no one at Tesla tested these. Sounds like they are real crap.

@WilliamG

Final Tesla OEM flap update. I cut exactly 1” off the bottom of the flaps before going on a spirited drive in the mountains. They STILL scrape badly with suspension on low and sport mode just in hard cornering. This is nuts and There is no way elon tested these before shipping.
Doesn't really seem to hurt anything. The bottom of the flaps are flexible so it's not like they're going to catch on something and damage the car or pull the flap off.

Reactions: Laddcruzer
Yours do not touch the ground like the Tesla‘s - right? At least in pics it seems like they would not. :)
Highest setting:

Front:
signal-2021-12-21-173009 (2).jpeg.jpg

Rear:
signal-2021-12-21-173009 (3).jpeg.jpg

Lowest setting:

Front:
signal-2021-12-21-173009.jpeg.jpg

Rear:
signal-2021-12-21-173009 (1).jpeg.jpg

I made a thread about the OEM flaps so we don't derail M4H4X's post OEM Tesla Model S Refresh Flaps
Well this thread is called "Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards", and is not devoted to M4H4X's posts, as useful as they have been. So I'm not sure a separate thread is appropriate. There may be other offerings in the future from other vendors, and I, for one, would like to see those discussions here.

Reactions: bllydia
See attached for OEM Tesla flaps on low suspension setting. Note that the pic on the car, that is after they were very significantly scraped up in the mountains. I also included a measurement of the piece I cut off before the mountain run

Attachments

• IMG_6455 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_6455 - Copy.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_6456 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_6456 - Copy.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
That measurement is AFTER you cut it? Jeeeez. What was Tesla thinking?

I cut that 1" piece off before I left the neighborhood. Went on a couple hour mountain sprint, scraping in every corner wondering if it will rip off the fender liner or rocker, got home, then measured the mud flap height. That mud flap height is effectively the lean angle of the car at full power through a turn on low & sport suspension setting. It ground off I would guess close to an inch of material, you can see the stringy leftovers across the entire length.

In other words, cutting off 1" wasn't even nearly enough. I would guess you would need to cut off 2-2.5" from the bottom of the OEM Tesla flap for it to be usable.

• Informative
I cut that 1" piece off before I left the neighborhood. Went on a couple hour mountain sprint, scraping in every corner wondering if it will rip off the fender liner or rocker, got home, then measured the mud flap height. That mud flap height is effectively the lean angle of the car at full power through a turn on low & sport suspension setting. It ground off I would guess close to an inch of material, you can see the stringy leftovers across the entire length.

In other words, cutting off 1" wasn't even nearly enough. I would guess you would need to cut off 2-2.5" from the bottom of the OEM Tesla flap for it to be usable.
Wow….

That's completely bananas. I fail to understand how these made it out of the testing phase! Did Tesla even bother to drive with these on, or just go with a guess for what size they should be and then go, "F it, good enough!"

That's completely bananas. I fail to understand how these made it out of the testing phase! Did Tesla even bother to drive with these on, or just go with a guess for what size they should be and then go, "F it, good enough!"
@WilliamG Same way the Plaid made it out of the testing phase…. “The delusional people will buy anything Elon sells…” - Tesla Marketing department.

Last edited:
  • Funny