Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. They look nice but they need to block crap shooting up from the tire. You can round/shape that corner but I think it’s a bit aggressive and should come out to the corner more. Since it’s behind the tire I don’t think it impacts range. Negligible change in range on Model 3 or X with mudflaps that had a more square shape. I got the molded Chinese ones on both 3 and X.

These do look better than Tsportline CF ones that are a joke. These look like they would provide some protection. But not enough for some of us. Nobody really wants to put mudflaps, they do it for protection.
Why are the Tsportine flaps a joke? Are you talking looks or ?

I don’t care for the Rally armor look either.

That’s why I like the molded type. They can get away with being more square without the truck style look.

Here are the “square” molded type on my X and you barely notice they are there.

One positive about MSM (and black, maybe blue too) is the mudflaps don’t scream at you. The black plastic on X/Y help too.
THIS. Oh, and they are held on with tape… these can be yours for $250, plus tax, shipping and handling fees!
The Tsportine front flats are held up by tape and a screw just like other mud flaps. I don’t get all the criticism, when no one on here seems to have tried them.

How do you know they don’t offer good protection, when there is not one forum member that I have seen post a review? Yes they are expensive, but if they work then maybe worth it for some, as there is nothing out in the market. I think they look nice too. I may end up buying them, if nothing else new is produced soon, as I need some protection. We spent $100k plus for a car and think we can afford a couple dollar mud flaps if they work. We spend that much and more for floor and trunk mats. :)

The person that was making them on this forum has disappeared, so the only option that may be left is the Tesla front flaps and those touch the ground. I don’t get why it takes so long for other mfg’s to make mud flaps for the refresh Model S.

The Tsportine front flats are held up by tape and a screw just like other mud flaps. I don’t get all the criticism, when no one on here seems to have tried them.

How do you know they don’t offer good protection, when there is not one forum member that I have seen post a review? Yes they are expensive, but if they work then maybe worth it for some, as there is nothing out in the market. I think they look nice too. I may end up buying them, if nothing else new is produced soon, as I need some protection. We spent $100k plus for a car and think we can afford a couple dollar mud flaps if they work. We spend that much and more for floor and trunk mats. :)

The person that was making them on this forum has disappeared, so the only option that may be left is the Tesla front flaps and those touch the ground. I don’t get why it takes so long for other mfg’s to make mud flaps for the refresh Model S.
I bought them and returned them. I’ve had mudflaps on 15+ different cars. I really need them, I live on a private dirt road a 1/2 mile long. Even good mud flaps have limitations. The TSportline are about 1/4 the area of typical.

I don’t need to buy wider tires and run them to prove they will use more energy. Common sense applies.

And even if I did put them on, how exactly would I prove they don’t work as well? I think early on folks were very concerned about energy impact. Surprisingly the full size flaps have very little impact.

Some people like adding bits of carbon fiber for looks. Those are more about looks than function.

I think there was another problem with them. Like they sent me two left fronts or something or missing hardware. I can’t remember. They were very unfinished on the non glossy side too. Edges were kind of rough too. They were just awful. They might have improved since. Oh yeah, they came in 8.5x11” envelope. I was like WTF.

None of the flaps I’ve installed use double sided tape. I have no issue drilling into plastic wheel well liner. I have not had to drill metal for as long as I can remember.

You like them, go buy them. I did. Which is more than most.

I bought them and returned them. I’ve had mudflaps on 15+ different cars. I really need them, I live on a private dirt road a 1/2 mile long. Even good mud flaps have limitations. The TSportline are about 1/4 the area of typical.

I don’t need to buy wider tires and run them to prove they will use more energy. Common sense applies.

And even if I did put them on, how exactly would I prove they don’t work as well? I think early on folks were very concerned about energy impact. Surprisingly the full size flaps have very little impact.

Some people like adding bits of carbon fiber for looks. Those are more about looks than function.

I think there was another problem with them. Like they sent me two left fronts or something or missing hardware. I can’t remember. They were very unfinished on the non glossy side too. Edges were kind of rough too. They were just awful. They might have improved since. Oh yeah, they came in 8.5x11” envelope. I was like WTF.

None of the flaps I’ve installed use double sided tape. I have no issue drilling into plastic wheel well liner. I have not had to drill metal for as long as I can remember.

You like them, go buy them. I did. Which is more than most.
Sounds like you definitely had a bad experience with your Model 3 flaps. That would turn me off to TSportline flaps. Perhaps they have improved them for the S refresh. Since S refresh flaps are barely available (and I like the carbon fiber look) I have some TSportline flaps on order and should arrive shortly. I’ll give you my thoughts then. I‘m going to use additional attachment meth together with the tape to assure their permanent placement. We shall see if they are worth it. BTW, I never go on dirt road. I have many other vehicles for that. 🚜

Reactions: DBV1
Sounds like you definitely had a bad experience with your Model 3 flaps. That would turn me off to TSportline flaps. Perhaps they have improved them for the S refresh. Since S refresh flaps are barely available (and I like the carbon fiber look) I have some TSportline flaps on order and should arrive shortly. I’ll give you my thoughts then. I‘m going to use additional attachment meth together with the tape to assure their permanent placement. We shall see if they are worth it. BTW, I never go on dirt road. I have many other vehicles for that. 🚜

By the time you learn that they don't offer enough protection, it will be too late as your rear quarter panels will be peppered with chips.

Yeah, they raised the price ;)

Seriously though, I will be curious on what you think once you have them.

If it's any consolation I have mud flaps (made by m4x) and PPF and that is getting destroyed.
Where are you getting damage?

Tesla is replacing my rocker panels this morning. As soon as they are done I'm installing @M4H4X flaps. It's been a long wait getting the new rocker panels, painting and curing them, and then covering with 10 mil PPF. Glad to almost be done but concerned by your post.

Tesla is replacing my rocker panels this morning. As soon as they are done I'm installing @M4H4X flaps. It's been a long wait getting the new rocker panels, painting and curing them, and then covering with 10 mil PPF. Glad to almost be done but concerned by your post.
Why is Tesla replacing your rocker panels? How did you get them to do that?

Why is Tesla replacing your rocker panels? How did you get them to do that?
The 150 mile drive home from delivery cause so much damage that they agreed to split the cost with me. It is costing me a few hundred but at least they will be chip free and probably stay that way for a while.

The 150 mile drive home from delivery cause so much damage that they agreed to split the cost with me. It is costing me a few hundred but at least they will be chip free and probably stay that way for a while.
I had about the same drive home from delivery. Just weird they'd replace it. How's that different from just driving around town? Still stock car and not sure why they'd take ownership. What they really should do is put mudflaps on at the factory. The film on the rear panel is a joke.

These were the main spots, where it tore the PPF. 2 on the left (well, the big one has 3 other spots close to it) , one on the right. It's worth noting I'm running 285s on the front, which are pretty flush, so the flaps prob aren't providing the protection I need.

A2AA3BF1-6A17-4215-A437-E854C8AE32A4.jpeg

B2BE0B29-CA5B-49DF-B9F0-55EC83EC827A.jpeg
0BAE5B67-2947-449E-8F81-448B45632E04.jpeg

These were the main spots, where it tore the PPF. 2 on the left (well, the big one has 3 other spots close to it) , one on the right. It's worth noting I'm running 285s on the front, which are pretty flush, so the flaps prob aren't providing the protection I need.

View attachment 790731
View attachment 790732View attachment 790733
Nice Signature wheels and red paint. I’m not sure flaps would have helped with your situation. Weren’t you going over 150 MPH into a Connecticut tornado. 🙃