Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Mud/Splash Guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Didn’t realize that it switches to low when set on medium. I’ll check back after I drive down to the tulip festival in Pella Iowa. Lots of interstate driving.
It should be fine on the highway. I think it lowers when you go above 55 mph no matter what settings. It’s just how quickly it comes back to your set height I don’t know. I doubt it does it instantly or it would be going up and down in stop and go traffic. You could pull into a rest stop with a speed bump or something.

When people are cutting up to an inch shorter is that hurting the protection that mud flaps offer? Just curious.
Of course it is. I’ll let you measure exactly how much ;) A bigger mud flap, as well as rear flaps, would be more protection too. Let me know if you find some ;) A mud flap that gets ripped off has even less protection.

I plan to keep a look out for better flaps. They are barely better than nothing. Cut or not cut. with a taller mud flap they can come out further for better protection. If you stand at the back of the car and look at the tire and mud flap the tire sticks out beyond the flap by a good inch.

These mud flaps are tiny. They are tucked way under as the body slopes inward. They are probably the worst designed mud flap I’ve ever seen.

Since they are small and my car is MSM they are not too hideous looking and I do like how they attach. Protection wise they are a joke. But not zero.

I use flaps mostly to help keep the car stay cleaner longer. They probably will protect that rocker panel directly behind the flap from getting chipped.

Of course it is. I’ll let you measure exactly how much ;) A bigger mud flap, as well as rear flaps, would be more protection too. Let me know if you find some ;) A mud flap that gets ripped off has even less protection.

I plan to keep a look out for better flaps. They are barely better than nothing. Cut or not cut. with a taller mud flap they can come out further for better protection. If you stand at the back of the car and look at the tire and mud flap the tire sticks out beyond the flap by a good inch.

These mud flaps are tiny. They are tucked way under as the body slopes inward. They are probably the worst designed mud flap I’ve ever seen.

Since they are small and my car is MSM they are not too hideous looking and I do like how they attach. Protection wise they are a joke. But not zero.

I use flaps mostly to help keep the car stay cleaner longer. They probably will protect that rocker panel directly behind the flap from getting chipped.
The guy who developed these should be transferred to garbage duty or simply fired. It is an embarrassment for Tesla to offer these. If they were on Amazon the ratings would all be 1 star across the board. Could not agree more with the complaints you have listed.

It should be fine on the highway. I think it lowers when you go above 55 mph no matter what settings. It’s just how quickly it comes back to your set height I don’t know. I doubt it does it instantly or it would be going up and down in stop and go traffic. You could pull into a rest stop with a speed bump or something.

This has been driving me nuts… My highway to work is pretty beat up, and I want to keep ride height to medium, but it keeps going to low even though I have deselected default ride height to low. I wish it would actually honour the setting! I have to keep manually putting it back to medium once up to speed.

Reactions: DrJ
Well the Tesla Mudflaps, to my suprise, do actually work. See photo in front and behind the mudflap.

I'm building a house on a dirt road, about 1/2 mile long. I visited construction site today.
As I was turning around on the dirt road, which didn't seem that bad, I heard the mudflaps graze the ground.
And I was on medium height. I'm glad I took the inch off.

Also I should mention. The included rivets are awful. They are paper thin and the expansion part can crack very easily.
I had put one flap on to size it up before cutting. Took it back off and went to put it back on and one of the rivets had cracked.
Luckily I had some spares from who knows what set of flaps. It went on MUCH better than the supplied ones.
They were thick like the factory ones you pull out. I think I'm gonna replace all the rivets.
If you do scrap it will put stress on the rivets, if they crack then they are real loose grip.

I also watched closely of when it Auto lowers and raises. It lowers almost immediately. Like almost at the end of the ramp it lowered.
Raising takes a bit longer. I stopped in a rest area and it never raised. Stopped at another rest area and it did, eventually.
When getting off the highway I stopped at a light at the end of the ramp and it was still on low. A minute later it was on Medium.
So it raises reasonably quick but if you say pulled into a rest area, or mall immediately off the ramp with speed bumps you could hit speed bump on low. But that would be fairly rare.

52027821164_4a7439f715_b_d.jpg

52026530612_f2f336bb08_b_d.jpg

I am quite happy with the @jebinc generic Amazon mudflaps. I created a simple template to trim them down with a jigsaw and sink the proper rivet and screw holes. It's a little DYI relative to the Tesla offering, but more sturdy in my experience and allows you to adjust the length to match your local driving style and road conditions. Also, once you have the template, you can replace them cheaply.

Great thought though I am really in the plug and play camp on mods now. Too many competing demands on my time.

I never thought I'd see a thread with over 40 pages on nothing other than mudflaps. Clearly, there is a lot of passion for this topic. I wished I lived in an environment where I didn't need them. Even if not from the weather, I think you need them from just how much power the car lays down, couple that with grippy tires and you have recipe for sandblasting anything behind the wheels.

Great thought though I am really in the plug and play camp on mods now. Too many competing demands on my time.

I never thought I'd see a thread with over 40 pages on nothing other than mudflaps. Clearly, there is a lot of passion for this topic. I wished I lived in an environment where I didn't need them. Even if not from the weather, I think you need them from just how much power the car lays down, couple that with grippy tires and you have recipe for sandblasting anything behind the wheels.

And it has managed to stay on topic for 40+ pages...

• Funny
Reactions: dougpy and impastu
My additional intent for adding the flaps were to prevent the tire dressing from being flung all over the door panels of the white car.
I received them today and installed it now and drove through my neighborhood school parking lot which has a few average speed breakers. These flaps scraped every one of them. Also scrapes when turning on a road which has a dip. I am going to cut off an inch along the line you can see in the photo and try later. But I would not buy them again. Also one of the clips broke. I need to go to service center to get a replacement.View attachment 795114
I see the "Outside" label on your tire. Any idea how you managed to get asymmetric tires? They are listed in the owner's manual as included on the model S refresh but they were not included on our S. We received our car in 09/21. Is yours' more recent? We have checked with Tesla and they essentially said "don't believe everything you read in the owner's manual."

I see the "Outside" label on your tire. Any idea how you managed to get asymmetric tires? They are listed in the owner's manual as included on the model S refresh but they were not included on our S. We received our car in 09/21. Is yours' more recent? We have checked with Tesla and they essentially said "don't believe everything you read in the owner's manual."
yes, they are asymmetric - there was nothing I had to do to get them as they are default. Mine is 02/22.

Reactions: dougpy and Beasts
I am quite happy with the @jebinc generic Amazon mudflaps. I created a simple template to trim them down with a jigsaw and sink the proper rivet and screw holes. It's a little DYI relative to the Tesla offering, but more sturdy in my experience and allows you to adjust the length to match your local driving style and road conditions. Also, once you have the template, you can replace them cheaply.

Do you think this material would be too hard to cut with a sharp carpenter knife?
I don't have access to a jigsaw but I also don't want to make some janky (is that a word?) looking flaps by butchering them, ;)

I just installed the front OEM ones, haven't driven on them yet. It was the first time I've washed the car for awhile and was the first time seeing all the rock chips peppered right through my PPF. ugh

Do you think this material would be too hard to cut with a sharp carpenter knife?
I don't have access to a jigsaw but I also don't want to make some janky (is that a word?) looking flaps by butchering them, ;)

I just installed the front OEM ones, haven't driven on them yet. It was the first time I've washed the car for awhile and was the first time seeing all the rock chips peppered right through my PPF. ugh
yes, too thick and hard for a utility knife...was my initial thought. That being said, jigsaws are a small $ investment that takes little space (small case). Get a fine tooth blade for laminate or similar (higher # of teeth). Good luck with the OEM version. I liked the ease of installation, but they just didn't last more than a few weeks of heavy winter weather.

Reactions: GroovaEV

I cut mine with a utility knife. I traced the shape I wanted and then scored it. The material cut easily.