Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh post March 31, 2016?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I recently got the call from my DS telling me that if I wanted my 85D that I had to take delivery by 3/31/16 - OR, pay the $3k and upgrade to the 90D (which is what I did).

This leaves me to believe that Tesla is drawing a line in the sand, which so happens to be the same day as the announcement of the Model 3. In order to still encourage folks to order the Model S over the next 2 years, I'm guessing they will be announcing a refresh (even just a new nosecone to be more consistent with the X and 3) for the Model S.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I would say its a line in the sand to stop supporting new build inventory of the 85 kWh battery without having any bearing on whether there will be an S refresh. When the 90 first came out, I knew this was going to be the replacement but it likely was that Tesla had a supply commitment for the cells using the older chemistry (the 90s use a different cell chemistry). When that supply commitment/order was coming to an end, I suspected the 85 would go the way of the dodo and future production would use the new cell chemistry (this does leave out what the 70 is using, but that's a different discussion). 3/31 is also quarter-end, which from a logistics point of view, could be a contract-end date for getting certain volume pricing on these older cells. To me, that is likely why your DS is saying get the car before 3/31 or you have to get a 90.

I think it's just to ease up on assembly to be honest since they are no longer offering the 85 option. I don't think there will be a MS refresh anytime soon as I spoke with my DS today about it. Not in the near future because a lot of efforts are going to the model 3

Personally, I would say its a line in the sand to stop supporting new build inventory of the 85 kWh battery without having any bearing on whether there will be an S refresh.

This.

I think it's just to ease up on assembly to be honest since they are no longer offering the 85 option. I don't think there will be a MS refresh anytime soon as I spoke with my DS today about it. Not in the near future because a lot of efforts are going to the model 3

And this.

And nothing more.

For those of you with this type of a thought, let me ask: Why would anyone purchase the Model S for so much more than just wait until the Model 3 comes out? To me, there has to be some sort of a carrot for those to move forward with the MS instead of waiting around (with the rest of the world) for the Model 3.

- - - Updated - - -

This.

And this.

And nothing more.

I couldn't disagree more.

For those of you with this type of a thought, let me ask: Why would anyone purchase the Model S for so much more than just wait until the Model 3 comes out? To me, there has to be some sort of a carrot for those to move forward with the MS instead of waiting around (with the rest of the world) for the Model 3.

The Model 3 won't be widely available for at least 2 more years, so timing. It will be a simpler product, so fewer "whiz-bang" things (like the door handles from the S, which mine are awaiting their 4th repair in a year). It will be smaller, and some do desire bigger cars.

For you (and me), its a viable alternative, but some people just prefer the S-class/7-series size instead of the C-class/3-series size, among other things.

The Model 3 won't be widely available for at least 2 more years, so timing. It will be a simpler product, so fewer "whiz-bang" things (like the door handles from the S, which mine are awaiting their 4th repair in a year). It will be smaller, and some do desire bigger cars.

For you (and me), its a viable alternative, but some people just prefer the S-class/7-series size instead of the C-class/3-series size, among other things.

I will not accept fewer "whiz-bang" things in the Model 3.

I've been saying this for a few weeks now that it's possible.

What's interesting is the lease incentives end if the car isn't DELIVERED by the end of the quarter. Meaning that if someone placed an order tomorrow, but got the car April 3rd they wouldn't be eligible for the current promotion. I'm not sure why it'd be delivery by end of month vs. order by end of month if they weren't planning on announcing something potentially that could cause people to cancel their orders.

That being said my order is confirmed and I've been told will have a mid-March delivery. This is an issue I wrestled with before confirming was the odds of a refresh. Either way, I think the odds are still low but definitely within the realm of possibility given the behavior.

I will not accept fewer "whiz-bang" things in the Model 3.

There has to be some way to justify the cost difference between the M3 vs. the MS. In my opinion, the base M3 will be similar to the base Audi A4 and BMW 328i with 0-60 in the 6s, probably RWD only. A fully optioned M3 would be similar to an S4 or BMW M3-4 with similar 0-60. I think the M3 gets a smaller display but I think overall will have similar tech features as the MS. The exterior may be more generic like the base Audi's/BMWs, with optional sport trim packages.

I'm anxiously awaiting delivery of my 85D. I don't think there will be a refresh anytime soon. There are still relatively few MS out there (I rarely see an MS here in the burbs of Portland, OR), and the styling is pretty classic and nowhere near outdated yet. I think Tesla has their hands full ramping X and 3 before running out of money to even think about a major S refresh for awhile.

Hasn't anyone else noticed how a 2012 MS looks the same as a 2016 MS? This is the case, despite EM's report of " . . . . about 20 hardware changes every week."

And that's great! Why waste money on the planned obsolescence of your products when you can spend money to actually make it better instead? This is a GOOD thing for long-term value and decreased depreciation of our Teslas.

Thus, I expect any upcoming changes to the MS to also be evolutionary, such as the inclusion of the touch-only/non-movement door handles from the MX to the MS--just think of the warranty cost savings;-) This will also include automatic door opening and closing, or so I'd suspect.

And what's so wrong with the nose cone?

Time will tell, but in the interim I think the investment into making the product better, instead of just different, is another reflection of how brilliant TM can be.

Hasn't anyone else noticed how a 2012 MS looks the same as a 2016 MS? This is the case, despite EM's report of " . . . . about 20 hardware changes every week."

And that's great! Why waste money on the planned obsolescence of your products when you can spend money to actually make it better instead? This is a GOOD thing for long-term value and decreased depreciation of our Teslas.

Thus, I expect any upcoming changes to the MS to also be evolutionary, such as the inclusion of the touch-only/non-movement door handles from the MX to the MS--just think of the warranty cost savings;-) This will also include automatic door opening and closing, or so I'd suspect.

And what's so wrong with the nose cone?

Time will tell, but in the interim I think the investment into making the product better, instead of just different, is another reflection of how brilliant TM can be.

Don't forget the LED swivel headlights (I guess they're called adaptive?)

Speaking of, when can I sell my left arm to retrofit the adaptive LED headlights on the S? ;)

In all seriousness, the whiz-bang things are cool but not all that important, I'm more interested in a handful of other things on the 3. As long as it's not a weirdmobile I'll be putting down a deposit on the 1rst.

:)

While I'm not saying that the X's touch handles and auto-opening doors and HEPA air system will come to the S, but I think its pretty safe to say it won't be in the 3.

:)

While I'm not saying that the X's touch handles and auto-opening doors and HEPA air system will come to the S, but I think its pretty safe to say it won't be in the 3.

Maybe it's just me, but none of those appeal to me. It's cool, but... I'm happy with the S's handles (mine actually work :p). As I mentioned upthread, what I would really like is the adaptive headlights.