Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh PRND Manual button plastic malfunction

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Maaz

Oct 6, 2014
Torrance
Hey guys I was curious to see how many people have the plastic part where the manual PRND appear malfunction. The part my vehicle was delivered with had the N partially showing and eventually the whole letter did and part of another. Had the phone dock part replaced
“Correction: Switch - Hazard Warning (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part
CONSOLE, PHONE
DOCK(1622624-00-B)”
Now almost 2 weeks later I can start to see part of another letter showing itself when not activated. I guess my real question is are all
Of these defective to at some point show the letters beneath without activation? Or did I get lucky and receive two faulty ones?
B56EB038-AFB8-4D40-870F-FBE82C64E384.jpeg
1399E665-F4A4-4BA6-997E-380DEEEE54DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Same happened to me! One delivered from factory started to peel away, so had it replaced by mobile service. The second one is now starting to do the same thing! I suspect it's a cheaply built plastic and may be due to the heat from the sun causing some issues. I'm going to wait a bit longer this time around to have it replaced in case there are revisions to the part.

Also note that the part # on mine is -C, so likely a newer version than yours.

Same happened to me! One delivered from factory started to peel away, so had it replaced by mobile service. The second one is now starting to do the same thing! I suspect it's a cheaply built plastic and may be due to the heat from the sun causing some issues. I'm going to wait a bit longer this time around to have it replaced in case there are revisions to the part.

Also note that the part # on mine is -C, so likely a newer version than yours.
This is exactly what I was thinking, as annoying as it is(was finally done with all my delivery issues) I will wait until some part revisions take place to actually solve this issue.

I've not had any problems. Mines a Nov-2021 build. For those that have the problem, what is the build date (look at the top of the sticker you see when you open the driver's door)? I don't think it's a general problem, but could be due to early production or just a few parts that were not made well.

This is an issue that has nothing to do with UV or heat exposure. It is an issue in manufacturing where the layer that tints/hides these letters isn’t quite correct. According to service this is not an isolated issue and hopefully Tesla HQ will address this with the supplier.

I had this same issue after getting the car back from SC. Key thing was the my car was sitting outdoors directly under the sun for 3+ weeks waiting for other parts. The folks at SC said they are seeing this on many cars and believe it is sun related.

When Mobile Service came over to finally replace the unit last week, they said this is an increasingly common part they are having to replace on S and X both Plaid and LR.

E29FB6A9-7006-444B-93B7-43F736700966.jpeg

I had this same issue after getting the car back from SC. Key thing was the my car was sitting outdoors directly under the sun for 3+ weeks waiting for other parts. The folks at SC said they are seeing this on many cars and believe it is sun related.

When Mobile Service came over to finally replace the unit last week, they said this is an increasingly common part they are having to replace on S and X both Plaid and LR.

View attachment 858267
Damnnn so basically both my concerns. I had since day one thought it was sun and heat related. Also the fact that there isn’t a permanent fix yet. Sigh.

My gear selector which was replaced for the second time on October 1st has been perfect so far. My launch version and second version were identical and both started showing parts of PRND when not activated within a week or two. This third gear selector plastic seemed actually a bit more clear and I could even make out PRND outline in the sun. However it seems to be holding up perfectly compared to the previous material they were using to hide the letters.