Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - Push Center to Honk on Yoke?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can faintly see the serpentine line in the center of the steering wheel that tears apart when the airbag deploys. I wonder if mashing that seam when I press the "new horn" will eventually weaken that seam?

And while we are redoing the yoke, can we PLEASE have the top left button as turn left signal and top right button as turn right signal like ferrari does???
Even after 6 months, I still have to look down to get it right, and I have a tendency just not to bother at all.

I can faintly see the serpentine line in the center of the steering wheel that tears apart when the airbag deploys. I wonder if mashing that seam when I press the "new horn" will eventually weaken that seam?

And while we are redoing the yoke, can we PLEASE have the top left button as turn left signal and top right button as turn right signal like ferrari does???
Even after 6 months, I still have to look down to get it right, and I have a tendency just not to bother at all.
There’s a little tab you can feel. Top of the tab is right and below the tab is left.

My hands are usually there anyways since we can’t rest our hands up top like a normal steering wheel.

There’s a little tab you can feel. Top of the tab is right and below the tab is left.

My hands are usually there anyways since we can’t rest our hands up top like a normal steering wheel.
After using the yoke for 2 months, I finally am getting used to the turn signal button. What I realized is when I am switching cars, others with the turn signal stake, it is harder to get used to the turn buttons. Same issue with the horn button.

Reactions: Mark II
God I’m so tired of the needless yoke attacks! How hard is it to just press the horn icon? And how is this a major detraction? It’s not like we’ve been honking since time immortal by simply pressing the center of the wheel In an emergency. Just suck it up and adjust!

Besides, this is not nearly as serious as changing the functions of the left scroll wheel area! For some reason I keep pressing the right turn signal to change to the next song. Just seems intuitive that the right and left button arrows mean next or previous song now. That is a serious design flaw and has most certainly caused accidents and probably even deaths!

Focus people, focus!

• Funny
Reactions: Mark II and Rhyder
God I’m so tired of the needless yoke attacks! How hard is it to just press the horn icon? And how is this a major detraction? It’s not like we’ve been honking since time immortal by simply pressing the center of the wheel In an emergency. Just suck it up and adjust!

Besides, this is not nearly as serious as changing the functions of the left scroll wheel area! For some reason I keep pressing the right turn signal to change to the next song. Just seems intuitive that the right and left button arrows mean next or previous song now. That is a serious design flaw and has most certainly caused accidents and probably even deaths!

Focus people, focus!
I find the horn button hard to find if you’re honestly finding the horn during a panic situation. If you’re about to be hit, can you honestly find the horn button in a split second?

• Informative
Reactions: 2101Guy
I find the horn button hard to find if you’re honestly finding the horn during a panic situation. If you’re about to be hit, can you honestly find the horn button in a split second?
Try this; it makes a big difference to have something tactile to find horn without looking.

www.amazon.com/dp/B008EDWQKW/ref=cm_sw_r_em_api_i_84XC6BZJSBBZBVFA2AAS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

C7B8D567-2AB0-485E-A4E6-7CE8E1BF4A54.jpeg

In the past 1-year I can recall using my horn 2 times. I wonder what kind of statistics Tesla has collected around horn usage to evaluate how much of an issue this really is? Maybe it will prevent people from using their horns unnecessarily as the flash moment of anger will have passed by the time you locate your horn button on the yoke :). If you are a constant honker, perhaps your repetitive unnecessary honking has allowed you to adapted better to the yoke...or perhaps this has contributed to a reduction in noise pollution...idk...go figure. I enjoy the car so much and use the horn so little that this certainly won't change my feelings about my S Plaid.
Rude honking is a thing, but I hear it less from Tesla drivers. But, all you need is ONE good reason to need your horn to be where you expect it. Consider someone backing into your car while you are parallel parked on the street. That s*** truly happens more than it should. As I understand it, if your car is turned off, you won't even see the tiny horn "button" because it only appears as backlit once the car is started. Otherwise, totally blank section of the yoke. So, you have no horn to warn inept drivers that they are about to hit you. Not ordering a refreshed S or X until this is resolved. And I know it's a bit off topic, but why once again is there no 2nd row armrest/cupholder in the 5- and 7-seat configurations?! This is really frustrating.

Rude honking is a thing, but I hear it less from Tesla drivers. But, all you need is ONE good reason to need your horn to be where you expect it. Consider someone backing into your car while you are parallel parked on the street. That s*** truly happens more than it should. As I understand it, if your car is turned off, you won't even see the tiny horn "button" because it only appears as backlit once the car is started. Otherwise, totally blank section of the yoke. So, you have no horn to warn inept drivers that they are about to hit you. Not ordering a refreshed S or X until this is resolved. And I know it's a bit off topic, but why once again is there no 2nd row armrest/cupholder in the 5- and 7-seat configurations?! This is really frustrating.
It has been 3 months since I took delivery of my MS. There had been at least 4 times I NEEDED to honk and I turned on the wiper instead. Luckily none of the incident resulted in accident because I took evasive actions. The latest one was a woman driving a minivan and changed lane into mine without looking. Bottom line, poor design and no sign of a fix. All we hope for now is we get lucky again and again.....Sighs.

Reactions: Blue Stuff
It has been 3 months since I took delivery of my MS. There had been at least 4 times I NEEDED to honk and I turned on the wiper instead. Luckily none of the incident resulted in accident because I took evasive actions. The latest one was a woman driving a minivan and changed lane into mine without looking. Bottom line, poor design and no sign of a fix. All we hope for now is we get lucky again and again.....Sighs.
Absolutely the worst design they have come up with!!! The only damn reason I have a Tesla is because of the autopilot assist. Makes my commute easier. Trust me as soon as Porsche or any high end manufacturer comes up with something even close to the lane hold I’m done!! I want a quality made car. This damn thing is what my wife and I call a disposable car. We use them for a year and get a new one. Cheap cheap cheaply made ugh!!

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
If anyone is aware of how to cup the hand around the button area - it is @WilliamG .
That feature went away around the end of 2021 for us. Our Plaid S originally had that option in August 2021. When we tried it on our LR S in December 2021, it didn't work. We tried it again on our Plaid and found it no longer worked. The option is gone from the settings and it is no longer mentioned in the current manual.

If anyone is aware of how to cup the hand around the button area - it is @WilliamG .
I just went out and tested it and it's working fine for me. You need to keep your hand flat, which is more natural, not cupped. Works reliably every time for me. This is 2022 LR, but I doubt it's any different for any other Yoke-equipped Tesla.

I suspect the software is looking to detect all three buttons sensed at about the same time. With a cupped hand, you may miss one of the buttons.

Reactions: Pcm888usa