Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh rattles/creaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had one rattle in the driver side rear door that they had to fix. Service tightened a Loose wiring harness. I still hear it slightly.

Second rattle/creaking noise coming from the front area when backing out of the driveway and cutting the wheel left or right. Or driving forward slowly, mostly when turning corners. Unsure if it’s a dash issue or steering suspension. These little noises are annoying. Love the car, best I’ve had but these issues aren’t indicative of a 100k vehicle.

Service appt next week

Anyone have similar noises

I had a 2018S that had various creaks and rattles. While I loved the car in large measure…that particular thing was driving me nuts and I wound up giving the car back to Tesla a couple years later.

When I got my new refreshed S and took delivery…this was probably top of my list in wanting to ensure it didn’t have.

When I first drove it ..I was SO pleased. Suspension didn’t have the creaks and rattles? At all… and I didn’t hear any of the usual interior cracks ans crackling sounds. Relief!

Scroll forward now a few months..

UGH!! Loud Creaking coming (first) from the drivers rear seat area (by the headrest somewhere) and scroll forward a little more and now ..bam…have it on the passenger side too.

I love, Love, LOVE my Refreshed S…but this trip down memory lane wasn’t the nostalgia I was hoping for and I think…at the moment…I’m teetering on insanity because of it…as u can’t un-hear it

I have a service appointment coming up in Nov and am hoping they can remedy: they’ll definitely be able to hear it…so…I guess that’s good.

Had one rattle in the driver side rear door that they had to fix. Service tightened a Loose wiring harness. I still hear it slightly.

Second rattle/creaking noise coming from the front area when backing out of the driveway and cutting the wheel left or right. Or driving forward slowly, mostly when turning corners. Unsure if it’s a dash issue or steering suspension. These little noises are annoying. Love the car, best I’ve had but these issues aren’t indicative of a 100k vehicle.

Service appt next week

Anyone have similar noises

My car is at the SC as I type with a rattle coming from the passenger side rear and supposed to pick it up today. I noticed the dash rattle (somewhere around the yoke) when I was taking the tech on a drive. Up until that point, the rattle didn't exist.

I had a 2018S that had various creaks and rattles. While I loved the car in large measure…that particular thing was driving me nuts and I wound up giving the car back to Tesla a couple years later.

When I got my new refreshed S and took delivery…this was probably top of my list in wanting to ensure it didn’t have.

When I first drove it ..I was SO pleased. Suspension didn’t have the creaks and rattles? At all… and I didn’t hear any of the usual interior cracks ans crackling sounds. Relief!

Scroll forward now a few months..

UGH!! Loud Creaking coming (first) from the drivers rear seat area (by the headrest somewhere) and scroll forward a little more and now ..bam…have it on the passenger side too.

I love, Love, LOVE my Refreshed S…but this trip down memory lane wasn’t the nostalgia I was hoping for and I think…at the moment…I’m teetering on insanity because of it…as u can’t un-hear it

I have a service appointment coming up in Nov and am hoping they can remedy: they’ll definitely be able to hear it…so…I guess that’s good.

Use the electrical tape "fix" to resolve. Lower the rear seats and wrap the metal hooks about 3 turns with the tape. Lock the seats back in place and see if did the trick. It worked for me and several others in the forums.

Had the same issue and was so frustrated...brand new car with this annoying creaking noise when driving down the road or making turns.
Tried the electrical tape and voila, fixed! Here is a picture...looks like its being being eaten into by the seat mechanism so not sure if this will be a permanent fix but at least right now its fixed.

Here is a photo...
Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 3.14.50 PM.jpg

Had the same issue and was so frustrated...brand new car with this annoying creaking noise when driving down the road or making turns.
Tried the electrical tape and voila, fixed! Here is a picture...looks like its being being eaten into by the seat mechanism so not sure if this will be a permanent fix but at least right now its fixed.

Here is a photo...View attachment 739529
I'm going to try this..... but OMFG, this is so f'ing ghetto. My passenger side rear seat is rattling.

I have my car scheduled to go into the SC in a few days, they want videos or any info on the rattles, I'm going to try to get some of that tomorrow.

For me it's rear driver side creaking, plus an occasional sound that's almost more like suspension.

If they had a do it yourself common creak and noise issue guide direct from Tesla, I would happily try all the things first. Our 2018 M3P and 2022 MYP both had creaks, too, and SC fixed them... but at this point our Model Y is significantly quieter than the 2022 Model S, which is not what I thought would be the case. A bit bummed about that driving each in the same day and comparing almost side-by-side.

Reactions: Richmoba
I have the same rattle coming from the yoke. Did they get that fixed for you and what was causing it?
I’m curious if we have the same issue. I have an intermittent rattle coming from the yoke/front dash area. I seem to have isolated it to the lower part of the dash. The “shelf” of the dash console screen. I’ve grabbed it to stabilize it when running over bumps and it solves the issue. I have also, moved it up and down multiple times which causes very uncomfortable squeaking and rattling sounds but this makes it go away till the next time I drive. I wonder if I put a lubricant or something to prevent the rattles from the plastic pieces from rubbing into each other.

I’m curious if we have the same issue. I have an intermittent rattle coming from the yoke/front dash area. I seem to have isolated it to the lower part of the dash. The “shelf” of the dash console screen. I’ve grabbed it to stabilize it when running over bumps and it solves the issue. I have also, moved it up and down multiple times which causes very uncomfortable squeaking and rattling sounds but this makes it go away till the next time I drive. I wonder if I put a lubricant or something to prevent the rattles from the plastic pieces from rubbing into each other.
Ohhh, Im pretty sure that I do not have.

I have my car scheduled to go into the SC in a few days, they want videos or any info on the rattles, I'm going to try to get some of that tomorrow.

For me it's rear driver side creaking, plus an occasional sound that's almost more like suspension.

If they had a do it yourself common creak and noise issue guide direct from Tesla, I would happily try all the things first. Our 2018 M3P and 2022 MYP both had creaks, too, and SC fixed them... but at this point our Model Y is significantly quieter than the 2022 Model S, which is not what I thought would be the case. A bit bummed about that driving each in the same day and comparing almost side-by-side.
Just an update on my service appointment...

and yeah, same fix that HX_Guy has, essentially.

From the SC notes:
Customer took delivery of new vehicle. Need a noise/rattle expert to help identify and correct a rattle and occasional rear squeak.

Road-tested vehicle and verified a tapping noise from driver's rear of the vehicle, producing a squeak noise over harsher bumps. Worked to trace origins of the noise and determined that noise was being created by the driver's side 2nd row seat-back mount. Applied lubricant grease to the mounting point and verified that the noise can no longer be heard.

Goodwill noise/vibration/harshness service, half hour, $0
Glad it's fixed. I still wish they had a "common squeaks reference" guide to not bother the SC.