Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh rattles/creaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is a video of it I recorded yesterday. The sound happens in forward and reverse. I’ve tried it with suspension in high and medium, same result. It also happens at moderate speeds around town in some instances turning/bumps.

Took mine in for exact same problem fixed same day.

Performed diagnosis. Found right front Hv battery to subframe bolts making noise. Removed and retorqued bolts. Test drove. Condition no longer present
mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: rattleOrSqueak

From invoice

Last edited:

Performed diagnosis. Found right front Hv battery to subframe bolts making noise. Removed and retorqued bolts. Test drove. Condition no longer present
mobileAppActivityDetails

From invoice
I had the same exact noise and it was also a loose subframe bolt. They tightened it up and I haven’t heard it since.

Reactions: flexnraptor

mobileAppActivityDetails

From invoice

My car makes the exact same sound. My HV battery has also been removed twice, so this doesn't even surprise me that they messed this up (among other things).

only noise I have at all in mine, is a drivers seat creak, that is dependent on weight shift. I can kinda recreate it if I force my body weight (174lbs) back and to the side a bit. My best guess is its something within the seatback area thats occassionally rubbing inside. Its not enough of a bother to take it in thought

Service appointment this week for:

1) Rear driver side rattle, near headrest. The tape-on-latch trick worked initially, but stopped working, and it's now rattling like a Geiger counter back there.
2) Diver seat cover creak. Back panel is loose. I can reach back with my left hand and the panel fitting the seat makes plastic-on-plastic noise with pressure.

Those are the top 2 problems.

Others:

3) Occasional rattle in the dash, passenger side, near the door interface.
4) Very occasional rattle in the rear back passenger headrest area -- similar to the right, but far less frequent.
5) [non-rattle] Following replacement of the power charge port (my first problem), the new port intermittently doesn't respond to button clicks unless the charger handle is very close (within a few inches).

Hope at least 1,2 are resolved.

Got mine fixed the other day at SC, they replaced some plastics under hood and re torque frame bolts

SmartSelect_20220313-185210_WPS Office.jpg

Reactions: MaxPain
Service appointment this week for:

1) Rear driver side rattle, near headrest. The tape-on-latch trick worked initially, but stopped working, and it's now rattling like a Geiger counter back there.
2) Diver seat cover creak. Back panel is loose. I can reach back with my left hand and the panel fitting the seat makes plastic-on-plastic noise with pressure.

Those are the top 2 problems.
Just got my car back. The service center in Dublin, CA fixed neither of the problems. Noticed both within 10 seconds of driving off the lot. Clearly, they either did nothing, or didn't test what they did do, because it was dead obvious.

Sigh.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Just got my car back. The service center in Dublin, CA fixed neither of the problems. Noticed both within 10 seconds of driving off the lot. Clearly, they either did nothing, or didn't test what they did do, because it was dead obvious.

Sigh.
Update: the mobile tech appointment I made was canceled, said the update needed an in-person appointment. Next slot: 1 month from now.

So that's great. Guess I'll be driving with my seats down to minimize the Geiger counter. (Yes, it rattles even with the seats down.)

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Update: the mobile tech appointment I made was canceled, said the update needed an in-person appointment. Next slot: 1 month from now.

So that's great. Guess I'll be driving with my seats down to minimize the Geiger counter. (Yes, it rattles even with the seats down.)
I have the same issue. My service center tried the tape but found that it still squeaked and rattled so they ordered a new back seat part and will be installing next month. Hopefully that fixes it.

I had numerous creaks and rattles on my 2022 LR as well. Have most of the issues above, but the most troubling of all was a rear suspension Clunk. This would sound like a mechanical click or pop, which is even more audible with the windows down. Thought it might be the case of a missing brake pad type of deal. Took it to service and they were able fixed it same day. I told the techs about the other noise, however those seem to be left untouched. I'll have to make another trip to take care of the other obnoxious sounds.

Use the electrical tape "fix" to resolve. Lower the rear seats and wrap the metal hooks about 3 turns with the tape. Lock the seats back in place and see if did the trick. It worked for me and several others in the forums.
This was literally unbelievable to me- it fixed SO MANY DIFFERENET noises that I had been hearing that I was in disbelief at first.
Very happy that I did this. Car now acceptably quiet :)

I have watched several DIY videos on YouTube on how to remove door panel and wrap all possible sources of "rattling". I have not mustered the courage to tear my car apart yet. Has anyone resorted to this? My SC is 2.5 hrs away and I don't want to be without my car. I also suspect I may be as competent as their crew...