Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh rattles/creaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been tempted to tear my door panels off and sound proof myself. I have watched a number of YouTube vids on this topic. Looks pretty straight forward...lol. Has anyone attempted this and were you successful? My SC is 2.5 hours away and I don't want to be without my car.

I have the same issue. My service center tried the tape but found that it still squeaked and rattled so they ordered a new back seat part and will be installing next month. Hopefully that fixes it.
I finally had the Montreal service center replace the left rear seat (was on order for a couple of months). Based on the drive home, that fixed the squeaks completely after both Tesla and I tried and failed with the tape trick. After 10K miles of squeaking, the silence is sublime!

I have been tempted to tear my door panels off and sound proof myself. I have watched a number of YouTube vids on this topic. Looks pretty straight forward...lol. Has anyone attempted this and were you successful? My SC is 2.5 hours away and I don't want to be without my car.

Yo I am in on this.

I want to put dense foam on EVERYTHING. My thought process is, it will perhaps provide minor high frequency noise reduction , or maybe none at all, but will also provide applied pressure to everything that could possibly flap/reverb/vibrate/squeak. Like, this is a $125k ride (X Plaid), and it's fkin embarrassing to have riders in here.

I had a 2018S that had various creaks and rattles. While I loved the car in large measure…that particular thing was driving me nuts and I wound up giving the car back to Tesla a couple years later.

When I got my new refreshed S and took delivery…this was probably top of my list in wanting to ensure it didn’t have.

When I first drove it ..I was SO pleased. Suspension didn’t have the creaks and rattles? At all… and I didn’t hear any of the usual interior cracks ans crackling sounds. Relief!

Scroll forward now a few months..

UGH!! Loud Creaking coming (first) from the drivers rear seat area (by the headrest somewhere) and scroll forward a little more and now ..bam…have it on the passenger side too.

I love, Love, LOVE my Refreshed S…but this trip down memory lane wasn’t the nostalgia I was hoping for and I think…at the moment…I’m teetering on insanity because of it…as u can’t un-hear it

I have a service appointment coming up in Nov and am hoping they can remedy: they’ll definitely be able to hear it…so…I guess that’s good.
did they fix it?

For those with rear seat loose latch noise, I tried wrapping it with the soft part of velcro and it worked perfectly. Havent tried the electrical tape.

Also have same super squeek on drivers door when car turns. Pushing on the door part that mates with top left of dash recreates noise. Looking fwd to hear how others addressed it.

Reactions: ICUDoc
For those here that have a plastic sound rattle coming from the instrument panel around the driver's air vent. I was finally able to figure it out, formerly I has stuffed some rolls of tesa tape to make pressure between the dash trim and the instrument panel cover, although this helped, it didn't fully solve the issue, I managed to figure (in my case) there is a very very small (uninsulated) gap between the enclosure for the driver's top air vent and the instrument panel cover, I managed to fit in there some poker playing cards in the gap that goes all the way for the size of the instrument panel and the vent. I could probably fit about 3 stacked cards (reference for the size of the gap) and about 3-4 cards split next to each other. I am planning to have service do something about the gap, and hopefully it will be under warranty..... or at least cheap.

I'd rather live with the parking lot speed creaks and clicks than be anywhere near the remote vicinity of a TSC. Some of y'all love having random techs touch your ride like it's going out of fashion. Even when I went in to get my Track Pack brakes installed, a quick walk around revealed some surface scratches on two of my <2 month old from factory new Arachnids.

Who knows what they're doing when they're ripping apart your interior in their stalls, valeting your car in their congested lots for days on end, chasing ghosts.

YMMV

Reactions: NeuroRad
I'd rather live with the parking lot speed creaks and clicks than be anywhere near the remote vicinity of a TSC. Some of y'all love having random techs touch your ride like it's going out of fashion. Even when I went in to get my Track Pack brakes installed, a quick walk around revealed some surface scratches on two of my <2 month old from factory new Arachnids.

Who knows what they're doing when they're ripping apart your interior in their stalls, valeting your car in their congested lots for days on end, chasing ghosts.

YMMV
People need to understand this more.

The creaks suck, but it’s the crappy part about Tesla.

I have gone on for issues like creaks and they ripped my tint, scratched my paint and side view mirrors and tried to cover it up. I had to fight them to make it right.

Only go to a service center if your car cannot run. The techs and staff have braces still… literally 18 year old kids.

I have a rattle at the driver's side. I think it is from that little speaker overhead. Does anyone else have that?
I had a small rattle that sounded like it came from the speaker in the A Piller, but the noise came from the speaker grill on the dash. I remove the A Piller as shown here: Trim - A-Pillar - Upper - LH (Remove and Replace) (tesla.com)

Then I placed some double-sided tape (rolled up) under the metal grill; see attached pic with yellow dots where I placed the double-sided tape under the metal grill.
Hopes this helps.

Attachments

• GUID-40899323-991B-4F0F-912F-D35B35CEA450-online-en-US.png
    GUID-40899323-991B-4F0F-912F-D35B35CEA450-online-en-US.png
    141.8 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: MaxPain