Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh rear lower bumper (difuser) in carbon fiber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have searched for hours for two carbon fiber items.
The center lip for the trunk which I currently have wrapped. But have seen on another Tesla with a carbon fiber replacement piece. The owner was not at the supercharger or I would have asked how he got it. The sites I find are not very specific as to model and some show a spoiler as the center trunk piece.
I have found tons of pre-refresh lower bumpers in carbon fiber. But that part changed in 2017. I could wrap the stock one, but like the center trunk lip, I want a genuine carbon fiber piece. MDI seems to be able to make one, but did not answer the phone and their site has a lot of negative reviews.

All help appreciated.

• Helpful
Reactions: bint2k
We should be releasing our carbon fiber diffuser design for Model S 2.0 in 2-3 weeks time.

white-tesla-model-s-diffuser-design 2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CameronB
OK, $1000 so price is OK. High quality carbon fiber and well made. VERY pretty piece.
Now for the bad news, it's not a replacement, it's a hard wrap. There is double stick foam all around the diffuser on the inside. Foam is well placed and once carefully pushed (hard) into position it sat flush.
The worse news is after a week the top corners popped out. I pushed them back and three days later they popped out again. I messaged TSportsline I had apprehension as not all Teslas are formed exactly the same so a hard wrap over a plastic piece would not work as well as a whole new piece.
They need to mention this is NOT a replacement, it's a carbon fiber overlay. Granted this method is much easier to install. My Tesla has a slightly different shape from their piece and will probably never hold on the two top corners unless pop riveted or bolted.

I will post if anything changes.

OK, $1000 so price is OK. High quality carbon fiber and well made. VERY pretty piece.
Now for the bad news, it's not a replacement, it's a hard wrap. There is double stick foam all around the diffuser on the inside. Foam is well placed and once carefully pushed (hard) into position it sat flush.
The worse news is after a week the top corners popped out. I pushed them back and three days later they popped out again. I messaged TSportsline I had apprehension as not all Teslas are formed exactly the same so a hard wrap over a plastic piece would not work as well as a whole new piece.
They need to mention this is NOT a replacement, it's a carbon fiber overlay. Granted this method is much easier to install. My Tesla has a slightly different shape from their piece and will probably never hold on the two top corners unless pop riveted or bolted.

I will post if anything changes.

Did you ever get it installed satisfactorily? I would love to see pictures as I am looking for a replacement carbon fiber diffuser as well.

When you installed yours did you use adhesive or just tape?

Yes, installed perfectly now.
I used the factory install, cleaning with soap and water, rinse, alcohol and blew dry with air. Removed the sticky tape protection and carefully positioned while pushing into place. At first all was well but after a day the small bits over the reflectors came away about 1/2".

I set up cam straps from the trunk latch to the wheels as shown although I used four of the straps ultimately and my custom spacers to get everything aligned perfectly. I removed the straps and spacers. I cleaned again and used e6000 glue, applying a little at a time with a toothpick while gently prying back the carbon fiber. Put the straps back for 24 hours. I did one side at a time, the e6000 skins over quickly so I had to be fast.
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1086.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: GatorGuy