TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S refresh rear lower bumper (difuser) in carbon fiber

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by The Duke, Sep 2, 2017.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member

I have searched for hours for two carbon fiber items.
    The center lip for the trunk which I currently have wrapped. But have seen on another Tesla with a carbon fiber replacement piece. The owner was not at the supercharger or I would have asked how he got it. The sites I find are not very specific as to model and some show a spoiler as the center trunk piece.
    I have found tons of pre-refresh lower bumpers in carbon fiber. But that part changed in 2017. I could wrap the stock one, but like the center trunk lip, I want a genuine carbon fiber piece. MDI seems to be able to make one, but did not answer the phone and their site has a lot of negative reviews.

All help appreciated.

• Helpful x 1
  2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Have you checked with Unplugged performance?

3. The Duke

The Duke Member

4. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor

#4 Tsportline, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    We should be releasing our carbon fiber diffuser design for Model S 2.0 in 2-3 weeks time.

white-tesla-model-s-diffuser-design 2.jpg

• Like x 1
  5. The Duke

The Duke Member

6. The Duke

The Duke Member

On order, will post after install.

7. The Duke

The Duke Member

OK, $1000 so price is OK. High quality carbon fiber and well made. VERY pretty piece.
    Now for the bad news, it's not a replacement, it's a hard wrap. There is double stick foam all around the diffuser on the inside. Foam is well placed and once carefully pushed (hard) into position it sat flush.
    The worse news is after a week the top corners popped out. I pushed them back and three days later they popped out again. I messaged TSportsline I had apprehension as not all Teslas are formed exactly the same so a hard wrap over a plastic piece would not work as well as a whole new piece.
    They need to mention this is NOT a replacement, it's a carbon fiber overlay. Granted this method is much easier to install. My Tesla has a slightly different shape from their piece and will probably never hold on the two top corners unless pop riveted or bolted.

I will post if anything changes.