Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - Rear Rattle and Suspension Clunk Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm dealing a similar persistent interior creak from my back seats. Brought it up 10k miles ago around the time of my first tire rotation on my 2021 refresh MS and the SC just put athletic tape around the U brackets on the rear seats. The creak came back after about 1000 miles, so I put some velcro tape around it, the soft side, in order to cushion and dampen the noise. I still have a creak tho, which I mainly hear when I drive over symmetric bumps in the road, or back out of my driveway (which has a curb that I have to go over). I think the frame of the car is flexing ever so slightly, causing the creak.

I also have the dreaded rear suspension squeak in mine, which seems to get really bad when the car is lifted to medium height or higher. It honestly sounds like a car with a worn out suspension. I've got an appt for Halloween to have the car worked on, hopefully the SC can figure out permanent fixes for the car. TBH with under 15k miles on the car, to have this many squeaks, creaks and rattles on a car at this price point is completely unacceptable. Really sucks, I like Tesla, but if they can't fix these problems I don't foresee myself owning this car very long...

I'm dealing a similar persistent interior creak from my back seats. Brought it up 10k miles ago around the time of my first tire rotation on my 2021 refresh MS and the SC just put athletic tape around the U brackets on the rear seats. The creak came back after about 1000 miles, so I put some velcro tape around it, the soft side, in order to cushion and dampen the noise. I still have a creak tho, which I mainly hear when I drive over symmetric bumps in the road, or back out of my driveway (which has a curb that I have to go over). I think the frame of the car is flexing ever so slightly, causing the creak.

I also have the dreaded rear suspension squeak in mine, which seems to get really bad when the car is lifted to medium height or higher. It honestly sounds like a car with a worn out suspension. I've got an appt for Halloween to have the car worked on, hopefully the SC can figure out permanent fixes for the car. TBH with under 15k miles on the car, to have this many squeaks, creaks and rattles on a car at this price point is completely unacceptable. Really sucks, I like Tesla, but if they can't fix these problems I don't foresee myself owning this car very long...
Same here. Nov 2021 LR. I have 30k miles on it and over the last few months the groans and rattles and creaks are getting worse. Of course a long hatchback is not easy to keep quiet as they naturally flex a lot but my beat up 2001 Tacoma with 210,000 miles on it rides quieter over bumps. It's scheduled this week to look at all of that...I'll keep you posted.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
2022 Model S long range refresh (about 4K miles on it), recently exhibiting a very consistent rattle and a suspension clunk. Booked a service appointment for both for some ideas to point them at things to look at.

Video of a very recent drive:

Rear rattle
Consistent on any city road, especially at the lower speed ranges (consistent rattle in video). Its like a loose bolt or plastic trim coming from the back row/trunk, but the acoustics could be tricky to pinpoint. I have ruled out the rear seat U-bar latch (electrical taped both sides), the 2 latches that lets you take off your rear seat cushion (felt taped that), any surface level door bolts, and the trunk latch cover (felt taped that). I also did a drive with both rear seats folded down and same rattle.

Suspension Clunk
Seems to happen more when going over bumps or turning onto steeper driveways (especially when air suspension brings the car to a higher setting). In the video, the air suspension was raising the car around the 1:45 mark and the clunk happens at the 1:48 mark when the car turns onto a sloped parking lot entrance. Sounds like it is coming from the rear.
Did you ever find a fix for the rear rattle? Have a service appointment this week that I’m trying to avoid if I can fix myself.

Same issue on my 2022 MSLR. In my car, the rattle doesn't happen consistently. More likely after the car has been driven a while but not always. Definitely not rear seat latch. Anyone figured a solution to the rattle?

Did you ever find a fix for the rear rattle? Have a service appointment this week that I’m trying to avoid if I can fix myself.
I went through the whole tape, foam block, grease on headrest journey.

Nothing was super effective and was creating new issues (squeak instead of rattle), so I just took everything off. It hasn’t been as bad anymore, an occasional rattle but not persistent.

The clunk was problematic toe links which were both replaced and that now is fully solved.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka and is2scooby
I figured out the source of the rattle- its on the passenger side corner at the top of the hatchback door by the center brake light that's underneath the glass. This problem has been elusive since its not consistently reproducible but annoying as heck when happening. Took me weeks to locate the source with me lying in the trunk while my wife driving. Banging with my hand on the location brings out the rattle.
Anyone with this problem?

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
I figured out the source of the rattle- its on the passenger side corner at the top of the hatchback door by the center brake light that's underneath the glass. This problem has been elusive since its not consistently reproducible but annoying as heck when happening. Took me weeks to locate the source with me lying in the trunk while my wife driving. Banging with my hand on the location brings out the rattle.
Anyone with this problem?
Did you figure out how to quiet this rattle? Have the same one.