Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh - Reduced Front Radar Visibility

mikey_bs

Oct 16, 2020
DMV
I recently took delivery of a refreshed Model S. Over the last few weeks when trying to engage auto pilot I am receiving an error message “Reduced front radar visibility”. It’s very spotty, sometimes I’ll be able to use AP for a minute or two when newly getting in the car for the day or trip. While it’s engaged the drivers cluster will turn red and flash for the driver to take control (while my hands are on the yoke, driving in the lane, normal speed, and no issues around me).

I’ll put the car in park and reset the system by holding both scroll wheels until everything reboots. I’ll put the vehicle in drive and AP will
be available for a very short period of time, then the cycle continues.

Has anyone experienced this before? Obviously I’ll prob take it to the service center. I found a couple of threads here with this issue. One of them the persons car was totaled and he received a new car. The other thread did not have a solution.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I thought the latest version of AP was going to be an all-camera system. So I am surprised to hear the latest Model S has a radar. Is the radar-less AP only on the other models, Model 3 and Y? Or is my memory faulty on this change?

mikey_bs

Oct 16, 2020
DMV
How long / how many miles have you driven in your new car? Autopilot needs some time to understand your driving style/behavior.
I have 1,535 miles on it.

What’s unusual is it typically works right after I do the reset. Also, I’m receiving the red warning ⛔️ for driver to take control all the time, even when all safety requirements are met.

I scheduled a service appointment for this Wednesday. I will keep everyone posted.

mikey_bs

Oct 16, 2020
DMV
Just a quick update incase anyone else has this same issue.

I finally got my vehicle into service yesterday and they immediately diagnosed it with a bad radar which was replaced and Tesla completed a 6 mile road test to reconfigure the cameras / radar. Now it’s as good as new!

• Informative
Reactions: David29

lbowroom

Plaid, white with black, CF, 19’s. Delivered 8/27
Sep 12, 2018
Orange County
How long / how many miles have you driven in your new car? Autopilot needs some time to understand your driving style/behavior.
No, AP doesn’t learn your driving style/behavior. It doesn’t try to drive like you. It does need some miles to calibrate the sensors to properly center your car in the lane.

Reactions: shthpnz

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC