Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh - Reduced Front Radar Visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AcesAreWld: Very same here. Good post!​

The plot thickens:

I had confirmed with Tesla Charlotte a couple of days before my appointment that they have a radar unit in stock as I don't want to waste a 1.5 hour trip each way not getting anything resolved with the radar if it's indeed defective. They said they have it in stock actually...so I took the car to Charlotte the next day. Long story short, the radar they had in stock was not the correct one...they say. This doesn't really surprise me based on my past experience. How hard is it to check with the parts guy or girl to make sure that the radar you have in stock matches a given VIN before you say you have it in stock?

At least I'm driving a loaner as they needed the car for a day to get a suspension issue fixed. I'm driving this loaner for a week now...a 20k mile 2019 MX with expired tags, dirty, shakes like crazy when accelerating and clunks every time you stop and go.

So here we go again...another plunder caused by incompetence or carelessness or a faulty service system altogether, I don't know which, likely a bit of each. What fun it is to own a 100k Tesla! It's just so hard to go back to slow ICE cars! Maybe I should??? Also...bought more Tesla stock today in the dip...what a love-hate relationship this is!

I'll be back with more.

I just randomly setup a mobile visit to ask when the radar would be in and they replied should be in before my mobile visit this Friday. will let folks know how it goes.
Nice. My "random date out in the future" appointment was for this Friday, and they pushed it back another random amount of time (now to the 11th) because the part is not yet in stock at my SC in Cherry Hill, NJ.

My new radar is in stock and going in on March 9th
We'll see if mine is in by the 11th when they pushed my appointment (again) out to.

Very frustrating, but looking forward to hearing results on this thread to see if a new radar module really does fix the issue. The car is a LOT "LESS" [that we expected, paid for, etc...] without auto steer and especially without any form of cruise control.

Nice. My "random date out in the future" appointment was for this Friday, and they pushed it back another random amount of time (now to the 11th) because the part is not yet in stock at my SC in Cherry Hill, NJ.

We'll see if mine is in by the 11th when they pushed my appointment (again) out to.

Very frustrating, but looking forward to hearing results on this thread to see if a new radar module really does fix the issue. The car is a LOT "LESS" [that we expected, paid for, etc...] without auto steer and especially without any form of cruise control.
Mine just came in a couple of days ago. Took about 2 weeks and I put about 1500 miles on their loaner (MX) in that time.
So far so good, everything is working and I am quite happy to have my MS back. They listed the radar as a Generation 2 radar in the invoice so hopefully this is a permanent fix.

The toe link and drivers seat were replaced also. All good so far as well.

The new seat has two defects in the 'leather', worst than the original. Why bother going through the labor and hassle? Obviously I'm a picky customer but then again this is a 100k vehicle and I'm not about to let Tesla get away with this. They are ordering another one.

To be continued...

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Mine just came in a couple of days ago. Took about 2 weeks and I put about 1500 miles on their loaner (MX) in that time.
So far so good, everything is working and I am quite happy to have my MS back. They listed the radar as a Generation 2 radar in the invoice so hopefully this is a permanent fix.

The toe link and drivers seat were replaced also. All good so far as well.

The new seat has two defects in the 'leather', worst than the original. Why bother going through the labor and hassle? Obviously I'm a picky customer but then again this is a 100k vehicle and I'm not about to let Tesla get away with this. They are ordering another one.

To be continued...
can you expand on the driver seat defect? checking to see if that is also something for me to look out for.

can you expand on the driver seat defect? checking to see if that is also something for me to look out for.
The original seat had a 6 inch long 'bubble' near the headrest. They could not steam it out and replaced the entire seat as covers only are not yet available. The new one has a 2" crease on the seat cushion near the right knee area and at the headrest there is excessive material that bunches up at the seam. The latter might just be an issue of reinstalling the cover but the seat cushion issue is a sewing defect.
Tesla Charlotte has done a good job standing behind their work as they'll replace this seat again on 4/1/22 but the fact that they would install a defective seat in the first place is somewhat baffling.

Reactions: AcesAreWld
Screenshot_20220304-081655_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Radar unit replacement invoice. Gen 2.

so they replaced the front radar and mobile tech said it was all fixed. as he was leaving he sent over an OTA update i guess to calibrate the sensor or whatever.

After waiting about 3 hours to drive as i was still working, as soon as i pull the car in reverse, same error message appears. WTF??!!

back to square one. i sent message to service via the app, waiting to hear back,

so they replaced the front radar and mobile tech said it was all fixed. as he was leaving he sent over an OTA update i guess to calibrate the sensor or whatever.

After waiting about 3 hours to drive as i was still working, as soon as i pull the car in reverse, same error message appears. WTF??!!

back to square one. i sent message to service via the app, waiting to hear back,
I’m worried the radar replacement won’t fix it for me. I’m still waiting on parts though (going on 3 weeks)…

Any updates?

actually have an appt in your neck of the woods, Cherry hill on Monday to have it dropped off.
Princeton earliest appt was the 24th so driving down to where I grew up : )
Nice! Uber on over to my place for a cup of coffee hahah

My Radar and some other repairs is tomorrow... still waiting (months) on a seat latch that the mobile tech broke. Fingers crossed that after tomorrow morning my TACC and Auto Steer are back!

Screenshot 2022-03-10 at 11.06.06 AM.png.jpeg

Reporting in with this same problem. I don't know if it's coincidence or not but this began occurring last thursday when there were some heavy rains. The cruise control and autopilot cut out intermittently and eventually stop working completely with this error about front radar reduced visibility. Here we go, boys, time to experience that Tesla quality!

Nice! Uber on over to my place for a cup of coffee hahah

My Radar and some other repairs is tomorrow... still waiting (months) on a seat latch that the mobile tech broke. Fingers crossed that after tomorrow morning my TACC and Auto Steer are back!

View attachment 779139
Well I have somewhat good news to report. The new radar module fixed Autosteer and TACC! Driven 200+ miles this weekend and we’re rock solid again.

The not-as-great news is that Tesla didn’t put the car back together very well. The front fascia trim piece (below the T logo on the front) has a small chip, was misaligned, and the bumper cover was not fully mounted properly in that area of the front of the car.

Never a flawless experience with Tesla service, and I’ve been in a LOT of times now since picking up my car in December. I cannot STAND the squeaks, creaking, and awful noises that come from my back seat still to this day… but they’re “still working on that”…

Attachments

• 392EB338-33B5-4685-91BD-3BC389D525A6.jpeg
    392EB338-33B5-4685-91BD-3BC389D525A6.jpeg
    635.8 KB · Views: 44
  • D739FEA4-09DD-4C6A-9DFF-FEF84BDC9ABB.jpeg
    D739FEA4-09DD-4C6A-9DFF-FEF84BDC9ABB.jpeg
    259.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 8B35E629-70D3-4CAF-989A-1867C4713CAC.jpeg
    8B35E629-70D3-4CAF-989A-1867C4713CAC.jpeg
    576.4 KB · Views: 41
hmm just dropped off today at CH SC. I have front bumper PPF, wondering if they pull off the bumper if i'm screwed there : (
since i'm at the same SC, will have to check closely of the issues you mentioned. did they fix yours when you picked up or is it a mobile service F/U ?
thanks

hmm just dropped off today at CH SC. I have front bumper PPF, wondering if they pull off the bumper if i'm screwed there : (
since i'm at the same SC, will have to check closely of the issues you mentioned. did they fix yours when you picked up or is it a mobile service F/U ?
thanks
I also have full-car PPF. That should be fine since the bumper cover comes off as a whole I think (?) I'll have to check mine a little more thoroughly as well (but of course that PPF is hard to see, which is the whole point!)

I popped the bumper cover back into place with my knee and its better now, not perfect, and let them know about the chip. They said they'll order the part and take care of it at my NEXT service appointment, since my seat latches are still broken / squeaking (broken by a Tesla Mobile Service person). I have to ask my PPF guy if he did anything on that trim piece that goes above the number and below the "T" logo.