Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh - Reduced Front Radar Visibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got a call from the service advisor, apparently the radar has been fixed but the technician ended up curbing my forged wheel. wtf....i told them to send me a picture and their wheel repair guy is supposed to fix it on Thursday now. I'll be raising hell when I get there.

I have never feared taking my car in to a service centre like I do with Tesla. Mine goes in Friday for the radar. It has been written in the forums that when in Service mode, the safety score is not affected for FSD Beta EVAL and I am at 99. If they test drive the car in normal mode and kak my extremely hard earned safety score, i will have kittens.

• Funny
Reactions: DerbyDave
they are supposed to have been working on it this am. doubt it will be finished today as they need to also match finish.
i plan on giving them hell.

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 101
radar seems to be fixed.
they managed to not properly seat the front right corner bumper.
wheel repair was blotchy and had paint drip running down to the tire.
grease marks on the door armrest, both seats and armrest.
yes this is Cherry Hill - horrible should have stuck to Princeton.

passenger 3.jpg

At least you got yours fixed. My SC pulled the facia off and then reported no-fault-found (duh-it is intermittent) and I have sent dozens of photos and video of the issue. I have PPF on the front of the car and they said (politely but makes no sense) that they cannot do any further troubleshooting or work until the PPF is removed from the radar location. They masked it off for me and I have to figure out a way to cut out a square without affecting the paint below (any ideas ?). The radar goes through a heating pad and then the bumper but the PPF may be the issue. When the guy told me that sometimes even the sun can affect the radar I understood what I was dealing with. I am an Electrical Engineer and it made my head hurt. I believe it may even be temperature related because as it is warming outside and is well above zero (32) now, it is rarely failing and sometimes just for the first few kms of the drive. I did ask if I cut out the PPF and the problem persisted and they replaced the radar, would Tesla re-PPF the fascia and the response was 'that would be a reasonable request that I would support' so on goes the troubleshooting and the annoyance.

Exactly. This radar issue has been ongoing for two months and gone everywhere from being told it is no longer enabled to now the PPF is blocking it. Before cutting out any PPF I will wait out the FSD Beta and see what happens.
Was wondering if you had any updates on your situation? I want to put clear Xpel PPF on my Plaid (I have one of the models that has the radar) and this thread keeps me up at night!! Thanks in advance!!

Was wondering if you had any updates on your situation? I want to put clear Xpel PPF on my Plaid (I have one of the models that has the radar) and this thread keeps me up at night!! Thanks in advance!!
No update because, as the weather started to warm up, the problem disappeared so I am 100% positive my radar is failing at low temperature ( less than freezing ) and zero to do with the PPF. I have not had one failure since it warmed up outside and I was getting it every trip when freezing outside. For a while I could not figure out why going to work was fine and coming home was not and it was because the car is garaged and work is parking outside. There has not been one report on the boards about PPF creating radar issues. I would fully recommend going ahead. Remember....the Tesla guy also told me the sun affects the radar....at that point I knew what I was dealing with.

No update because, as the weather started to warm up, the problem disappeared so I am 100% positive my radar is failing at low temperature ( less than freezing ) and zero to do with the PPF. I have not had one failure since it warmed up outside and I was getting it every trip when freezing outside. For a while I could not figure out why going to work was fine and coming home was not and it was because the car is garaged and work is parking outside. There has not been one report on the boards about PPF creating radar issues. I would fully recommend going ahead. Remember....the Tesla guy also told me the sun affects the radar....at that point I knew what I was dealing with.
😄 Thanks so much! I appreciate it. Gotta get one of those shade radars I guess! Thanks again!

Reactions: Proppilot
Does anyone know exactly where the radar is mounted ? I have been in some discussion with Tesla and they are asking if the car has PPF on it and as a test I will clean the radar unit before drives to/from work (Canada we have snow right now). They state it is right BELOW the front license plate but that is a very small surface and I read that other cars are to the left or right of the plate location. Anyone know on the S refresh ?
Did you ever find out where the sensor is located? Mine is slightly to the right (when looking at the car) and I’m wondering if that’s giving me issues.

The radar is disabled if you have one beginning with Software 2022.20.9 or later. Tesla went to vision only. On my 2020, it is just to the right of center behind the bumper when looking at the front bumper. The position is in the owners manual. If you have a HW4 car, the latest in the last month or two, you may have the new HD radar, but I doubt if it is in use yet either. What issues are you having?

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I have a 2015 with a refresh bumper and the sensor was moved. It’s giving me the “ auto pilot is temporarily unavailable” error. Which I believe is because the radar needs to be re-calibrated in order to recalibrate it. I have to mount it in approximately the same position.