Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh: Relatively fatiguing when actually driving long distances?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?? The instant torque, one pedal driving, constant acceleration from 60-100+ mph, quiet performance, etc? What happened to your Tesla 😁? I’ve been driving Tesla’s since 2013 because they are the most fun to drive.

I know it's not gonna be a popular opinion on here, but it's just how I feel. The first EV I drove was an e-Golf, and I was surprised how well it drove for a practical car. EVs instantly made perfect sense for basic transportation (even if the range on that particular first gen e-Golf was pretty low).

I then Turo'd a P100D with my cousin for a trip down in Florida, thinking that it was gonna be as great for a fun EV car as that e-Golf was for a standard car. But after a weekend driving it, I was actually confused when I didn't find it that enjoyable to drive. Was it as fast or faster than anything I've ever driven (this was before the Plaid)? Absolutely. Could my cousin and I take turns trying to snap eachother's heads off with instant and surprise acceleration? To my neck's dismay, yes. Was it basically my idea of the perfect car? Yes: it was silent (not a big fan of noisy cars), had no gears it needed to waste time shifting between, had no clutch to engage, every launch and acceleration run was perfect, and it had perfect traction. And it turns out that a lot of that made it less enjoyable to drive (I was reminded of the phrase "never meet your heroes").

I spent the entire plane ride home trying to figure out why I had more fun with my old gutless ICE car than the P100D. While the instant acceleration was there, that was the only thing I found fun (and more painful than fun...and I can't always be flooring the pedal, so the fun times are few and far between.) The best I could come up with were these thoughts:

- The partial throttle tends to be very sluggish, despite the huge power these things make--it's not near as fun as a light car or an overpowered one that keeps "jumping at the bit" when you give just a little push on the throttle. I understand why they wouldn't tune an EV that way (so as to keep the range as high as possible), but you use partial throttle in driving a lot more than full throttle, so this really has an effect when a car with 600+ HP feels like a 150+ car that's reluctant to move when you give her a little pedal. This also brought up another issue with EVs: you can't really tune anything on them. Normally you could tune a car to change/improve its performance and behavior to what you want. However, since a lot of the power and performance is locked away behind software on EVs, the tuning is going to be that much more protected and encrypted and unmodifiable, which was kinda a bummer to me.

- Repeated acceleration really dropped off--After a few acceleration runs, the car really felt slower and slower and less fun. I thought that maybe I had just quickly gotten used to the acceleration fast, but I later found out that the car just really lost acceleration in repeated runs (I believe one of the car magazines saw a P100D drop down to 7+ second 0-60 runs after a few acceleration runs). I think they fixed the cooling in the Plaid and haven't experienced this since.

- Acceleration after the initial thrust is...kinda boring--While the initial thrust from flooring the pedal really throws you in your seat, the acceleration after that is not that exciting. Does the speedometer go up faster than pretty much anything else? Yeah. But all you really do is just watch the speedometer. The torque curves of EVs are pretty much always decreasing, which is what the human body notices. Compared to the old combustion engines, which tend to increase in torque until you get to redline, then you shift, get another thrust, and get to go through another range of increasing torque and acceleration again several times. Plus you get the sound (which I agree can be overrated, but it still adds to the experience), and often the possible additional 'jerk' from turbos or cams. Is it as fast or anywhere near efficient as these EVs? Not at all--the rough edges really are something that the human body learns to enjoy, and when they're missing, so is some of that joy.

- Turning and cornering and just feeling heavy in general--I mean, most of them are 4000+ lb cars. The battery is at the bottom of the car, but that only really helps it when compared against other 4000+ cars. What's better than a 4000lb car with 3000lbs at the bottom? A 3000lb car. Or 2000lb car. :) Driving a light car is really something else, and I don't think we'll see that for a while with EVs, unfortunately.

- Just feeling at one with the car--Sounds completely cliche, I know. But three-pedal driving seems a lot more fun than one-pedal driving to me. And having a car that feels like it needs you to drive it, responds to your slightest wheel adjustments, lets you know how fast you're going by simple feel and sound, and wraps around you still seems more exciting than a car that will drive itself and doesn't know or care if you are there, which is how I feel with the EVs I've driven. They're great for cars that get you from A to B, and even for luxury cars, and especially for flexing (all reasons I got the Model S :) ), but that was after I came to accepting it's not the gonna be the most exciting car I'm going to ever drive.

People keep saying that their new EVs are the most fun car they've ever driven and get confused when I suggest otherwise with my experiences....They ask me the old question "but have you ever driven an EV"...and I find myself asking them if they've ever "driven a fun car". :) I mean, compared to an average Camry, late-model BMW, or even maybe some of the new/automated exotics, the average EV is probably going to be a lot more fun. But I haven't driven an EV that comes close to an engaging and fun experience of some of the fun, small, powerful ICE cars I've driven. Atom, X-Bow, Mono, Super 7, Murtaya, AC Cobra, or even an old WRX are still--for me--in as much a different league for fun cars as EVs are in a different league for practical regular cars compared to ICE cars in my opinion. (pause for flaming).

The Plaid reminds me that fast does not necessarily mean fun. In fact, I think the fastest cars and the most fun cars have diverged over the last few decades: In order to get the fastest cars, you need computers to control everything. However, the more the computers control, the less fun a car is because you don't get to interact and drive as much. It's probably also why I don't really like using autopilot.

I know, I know: I'm some cranky old guy who "likes the good old days", "likes the analog records better than these new fangled CD things", and can't get with the new stuff. I remember getting upset reading old car magazine comparisons where they awarded the winning spot to a car that didn't get the highest numbers, but was "just the most fun to drive". I always thought they were getting kickbacks from that car's maker (and maybe often times they were...). But now I do realize how numbers and being the fastest thing out there isn't always the most fun.....but hey, I'm trying to still enjoy it with the Plaid. And it's not something I'm gonna be able to change anybody's mind on (since it's a feel and experience thing)--So I'm just hoping to try and explain myself. And probably get flamed to high-h#ll on here.

Or maybe my Plaid is broken after all? :D

Last edited:
Reactions: micaluzzo83
I have driven several long trips in my refresh model s. I find it super comfortable. So I suspect this experience of whether it is comfortable on trips is 100% subjective.

I do not death grip the yoke with both hands if I am just cruising down the interstate. Much like with a regular wheel, I find a reasonable comfortable position and just vary it.

There are several full wheel alternatives to the yoke that are available for purchase if you personally find the yoke uncomfortable on long trips.

Just did two 400 miles round trips, found it very relaxing, but the position due to the Yoke is very different that what I setup with a normal wheel.
My yoke is much lower than a normal wheel. I can grab the yoke at the proper place and have my elbows resting on the side rests.
(I’m 6’5 don’t know if that is a factor).
Is that because you can lower the yoke to a level that would have the upper part of a wheel blocking the driver display?

I have had 3 Model S's and can tell you my 2022 is by far the most comfortable for long road trips, all except for the Yoke. The seats are more comfortable, the ride is better, the cabin is quieter but the Yoke is just made out of some hard substance that is not comfortable to hold on to. No-one here can objectively tell me that that is a nice contact point, it's just not.

i live in So Cal and have a Condo in Mammoth Lakes. It's a 5 hour drive and I either take my Escalade ESV (yes, ouch on the gas) or my Model S. My hands/wrists get fatigued because of the shape and material of the Yoke. No such issues in the Escalade with a nice leather wrapped steering wheel.

To make matters worse and to cut off the "why not use Autopilot" peanut gallery, the the Escalade can use TACC the whole way, making for a very easy drive with the cruise set to 80-85 almost the whole way. Autopilot on the other hand is useless on almost 50% of the drive. It only allows for 5mph over the posted speed limit and much of the drive is posted as 55mph and 65 mph, but traffic is always above 75. There is no option for TACC, only full on autopilot, so I have to literally drive (pedals and steering) for 2.5 hours of the 5 hour drive. It's an absolute joke that my 5 year old Cadillac SUV has a more capable system.

So, I agree with the OP. The yoke is made of a hard material that is an odd shape and it does cause fatigue when driving long distances. And if you personally have not done a trip over 2 hours without using Autopilot most of the way, please don't comment that your Yoke is super comfortable.

I know, it sounds click-baity, but I was honestly surprised how sore I was after driving long distances in my new car. Has anybody else found it uncomfortable to actually drive (i.e., no autopiloting) long distances with the yoke?

I spent my first weekend with a new 2022 Model S putting it through the fire: I drove it back and forth across the state (~250 miles each way). I didn't use autopilot on the way down, and I used it just a little on the way back (I was excited to enjoy actually driving the car!). Both times, I arrived with very sore shoulders, tingly hands, and bad headaches. I've never been so fatigued and in pain after driving that route (and to be clear, it's not like I'm normally driving a Lexus--usually the car I drive is very light, has a stiff suspension, has barely any climate control, and has very short gears with an audible engine. While I arrive tired, I'm usually feeling so good and having so much fun that I want to turn around drive another several hours in it).

While I'm getting used to the half-wheel shape of the yoke, I realized that it was the yoke's vertical handles that were literally being a pain:
- The yoke's handles' cross sections are deep and thin, not round like the rim of a wheel. Holding them reminds me of holding a vertical bar of soap (in terms of shape, not because they're actually slippery)
- The yoke's handles are perfectly vertical and don't have any ergonomic bulges or finger indents to help naturally keep your hands in place

I realized that I was keeping a tight grip around the handles so as to prevent gravity from pulling my hands down (even when I tried keeping my thumbs on top to try and anchor them down). Additionally, because of the deep yet thin nature of the grip, there's an uneven pressure put on your hands into your palm and mid-fingers (as opposed to if it was a round cross section, where pressure would be distributed evenly around your hands, palms, and fingers). This was cutting bloodflow to parts of my hands, and after a few hours of tightly gripping, my shoulders and neck muscles got sore, which in turn gave me the bad headache....

I'm aware of the following solutions, but I'm not crazy about them:
- Use autopilot (but I'd like to hope we can drive the car long distances without autopilot and not get punished for it)
- Rest your hands on the top of the bottom bars (while this is a bit more relaxing, I don't really like the control you get and I'm not convinced this isn't dangerous should the airbag go off)
- Keep Advil in the center console

Has anybody else experienced fatigue after long trips without autopilot? If so, did it get better over time? Are my hands just designed wrong? Or am I just holding the yoice I have to sit on the extremeke wrong (just like my iPhone)?? Or does everybody just use autopilot on long trips?
I have a 2020 model s.....I had the same issue when I went on the test drive....problem I noticed was the steering wheel is limited on the adjustment coming out......it does not have enough travel.....to compound this, the seat when moved forward, cramps my already short legs.......when I drive to Yuma from Irvine, ~250 miles, my bach aches terribly......I found that I am having to sit on the extreme right hand side of the seat......yes.....the Model S is not very comfortable.....the MY is a little better but not by much.....just waiting for the CT test drive

Reactions: micaluzzo83
I have had 3 Model S's and can tell you my 2022 is by far the most comfortable for long road trips, all except for the Yoke. The seats are more comfortable, the ride is better, the cabin is quieter but the Yoke is just made out of some hard substance that is not comfortable to hold on to. No-one here can objectively tell me that that is a nice contact point, it's just not.

i live in So Cal and have a Condo in Mammoth Lakes. It's a 5 hour drive and I either take my Escalade ESV (yes, ouch on the gas) or my Model S. My hands/wrists get fatigued because of the shape and material of the Yoke. No such issues in the Escalade with a nice leather wrapped steering wheel.

To make matters worse and to cut off the "why not use Autopilot" peanut gallery, the the Escalade can use TACC the whole way, making for a very easy drive with the cruise set to 80-85 almost the whole way. Autopilot on the other hand is useless on almost 50% of the drive. It only allows for 5mph over the posted speed limit and much of the drive is posted as 55mph and 65 mph, but traffic is always above 75. There is no option for TACC, only full on autopilot, so I have to literally drive (pedals and steering) for 2.5 hours of the 5 hour drive. It's an absolute joke that my 5 year old Cadillac SUV has a more capable system.

So, I agree with the OP. The yoke is made of a hard material that is an odd shape and it does cause fatigue when driving long distances. And if you personally have not done a trip over 2 hours without using Autopilot most of the way, please don't comment that your Yoke is super comfortable.

After 41k+ miles and many 2hr+ trips with and without AP I can objectively say the yoke is comfortable (actually super comfy). I must be doing something wrong.

After 41k+ miles and many 2hr+ trips with and without AP I can objectively say the yoke is comfortable (actually super comfy). I must be doing something wrong.
So you are saying you like the rigid, fake plastic feel of the yoke?

Maybe I'm just spoiled coming from other high-end cars with nice leather touchpoints, but "comfy" is not a word I personally would ever associate with the Yoke.

But I'm probably doing something wrong...

So you are saying you like the rigid, fake plastic feel of the yoke?

Maybe I'm just spoiled coming from other high-end cars with nice leather touchpoints, but "comfy" is not a word I personally would ever associate with the Yoke.

But I'm probably doing something wrong...

Gee, when you put it so nicely, I guess I do not really like the feel...