Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Seat Removal Step by Step

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to remove my passenger seat and rear seats to reduce weight for the drag strip and I'm posting the process for others who may find this useful.

After spending 4 hours and removing many screws to explore, I learned that this is a very easy process with minimal tools needed. A flathead screwdriver, a TP45 Torx Plus bit, and a 15MM socket.

Back seat
Seat Bottom
Pull Side covers straight out. If the top plastic white clip separates you can slide it back in.

20220831_122905.jpg

20220824_103530.jpg

Using your finger, push two release triggers in front/below seats to unhitch and pull seat bottom out slightly
20220831_122653.jpg

This is what the clips look like with the seats bottom removed.
20220824_104957.jpg

Unplug the electrical connector on each side that's connected to the bottom seat

20220831_122921.jpg

You can now pick up and remove the seat bottom.

60/40 seat backs
Unscrew seat belt for middle seat belt only (15MM I believe)
20220831_123122.jpg

Lower back of seat to laying down position using the button behind the headrest. If this doesn't work it's because you unplugged both wires previously, which includes the one that releases the seat back.
Next Unplug 2nd wire next to first one you removed.
20220831_122921.jpg

Use flathead to open seat lock by separating black plastic from silver metal as seen in photo
20220831_123352.jpg

Pull the seat up and out from the side of the seat where you just released the lock. The pull out from the middle. You may need to tilt the seat 45 degrees for it to pull out. The next picture shows how the middle is connected, which will pull out without any tabs or tools.
20220831_123441.jpg

Front Passenger Seat
Follow the seat belt down until you find where it's attached to the seat.
Detach the seat belt by inserting a flat head screwdriver in the slot and twisting it which will release the seat belt.
Push seat all the way forward with electronic seat control located on the side of the seat.
Remove two rear bolts which are holding down seat with Torx Plus 45 (TP45, different than Torx 45 or T45). These are extremely torqued from the factory and can not be removed without a strong tool. I used a pneumatic air impact wrench.
20220831_122645.jpg

Bring seat all the way back and remove the front two bolts using TP45 again.
Then tilt seat on it's back to undo two electrical connectors below. Note the one with the red clip has two secure points, the red area pulls out first then you push down on the tab.

Finally remove seat which is easiest while tilting it back and rotating 90 degrees.

You will receive an error about the passenger restraint system needing service because the seat and seatbelt sensor are unplugged, but this does not impact driving the vehicle.

Continued on next post due to 10 photo limit in this post.

Here are the after photos and the weight reduction by item!

Weight of each item:
Trunk top cover 4.5 lbs
Trunk bottom cover 4 lbs
Rear floor mat 2.5 lbs
Rear seat side cushions 1.1 lbs each
Rear seat bottom 17 lbs
Rear Seat top 40 split, 20 lbs
Rear Seat top 60 split, 45 lbs
Front passenger seat - 60 lbs

Total weight savings: 155 lbs

I hope this is helpful for others on the forum!

20220831_124109.jpg

20220831_124130.jpg

20220831_201803.jpg

Thank you for sharing. Since you have the seats apart, would you mind please contributing to this thread, it would be much appreciated:

I decided to remove my passenger seat and rear seats to reduce weight for the drag strip and I'm posting the process for others who may find this useful.

After spending 4 hours and removing many screws to explore, I learned that this is a very easy process with minimal tools needed. A flathead screwdriver, a TP45 Torx Plus bit, and a 15MM socket.

Back seat
Seat Bottom
Pull Side covers straight out. If the top plastic white clip separates you can slide it back in.

View attachment 847956
View attachment 847957

Using your finger, push two release triggers in front/below seats to unhitch and pull seat bottom out slightly
View attachment 847959

This is what the clips look like with the seats bottom removed.
View attachment 847961

Unplug the electrical connector on each side that's connected to the bottom seat

View attachment 847963

You can now pick up and remove the seat bottom.

60/40 seat backs
Unscrew seat belt for middle seat belt only (15MM I believe)
View attachment 847964

Lower back of seat to laying down position using the button behind the headrest. If this doesn't work it's because you unplugged both wires previously, which includes the one that releases the seat back.
Next Unplug 2nd wire next to first one you removed.
View attachment 847966

Use flathead to open seat lock by separating black plastic from silver metal as seen in photo
View attachment 847968

Pull the seat up and out from the side of the seat where you just released the lock. The pull out from the middle. You may need to tilt the seat 45 degrees for it to pull out. The next picture shows how the middle is connected, which will pull out without any tabs or tools.
View attachment 847969

Front Passenger Seat
Follow the seat belt down until you find where it's attached to the seat.
Detach the seat belt by inserting a flat head screwdriver in the slot and twisting it which will release the seat belt.
Push seat all the way forward with electronic seat control located on the side of the seat.
Remove two rear bolts which are holding down seat with Torx Plus 45 (TP45, different than Torx 45 or T45). These are extremely torqued from the factory and can not be removed without a strong tool. I used a pneumatic air impact wrench.
View attachment 847972

Bring seat all the way back and remove the front two bolts using TP45 again.
Then tilt seat on it's back to undo two electrical connectors below. Note the one with the red clip has two secure points, the red area pulls out first then you push down on the tab.

Finally remove seat which is easiest while tilting it back and rotating 90 degrees.

You will receive an error about the passenger restraint system needing service because the seat and seatbelt sensor are unplugged, but this does not impact driving the vehicle.

Continued on next post due to 10 photo limit in this post.
Super helpful thanks. I had a terrible squeak under edge of rear seat, and fixed by removing the bench and reinstalling.

Reactions: alb
Nice writeup! I plan to do this but also to remove the driver seat and replace it with a Kirkey I got on my Mustang. I know there would be error codes due to airbags ect,,,, If I return everything to stock are the codes automatically gone without any issues?

Nice writeup! I plan to do this but also to remove the driver seat and replace it with a Kirkey I got on my Mustang. I know there would be error codes due to airbags ect,,,, If I return everything to stock are the codes automatically gone without any issues?
Good luck on your project! The error codes from the passenger seat disappeared on their own once I plugged the seat back in. I would imagine it would be the same on the driver's side but I didn't try that seat.

Reactions: ramirj2
Questions... How hard would it be to switch seats? Or I should say cushion part??l. U have the right seat out, so u can look under and see how hard? My 2012 S driver's seat needs to bee replaced after ten years and 209k miles. No one has ever sat in right seat, like maybe 20 times, it's like new.
Thanks ahead for help😅

Questions... How hard would it be to switch seats? Or I should say cushion part??l. U have the right seat out, so u can look under and see how hard? My 2012 S driver's seat needs to bee replaced after ten years and 209k miles. No one has ever sat in right seat, like maybe 20 times, it's like new.
Thanks ahead for help😅

My seats are back in so no way for me to look under there at this point. The car is my daily driver. My wife and kids wouldn't be happy if the seats were still removed five months later!

Anyone aware of a way to move the S seats all the way back when the motor is not working? I can't seem to find a way to simply move the seat back so that I can access the front bolts as the seat motor is off track.
Have you figured a way out for this? My two front seats are getting no power so I cannot move them to remove them. Any help is appreicated.