Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh - sliding center console door no longer stays open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S Plaid and the sliding door over the cup holder in the center console no longer stays open at the half-way mark or at the fully open mark. Just stopped working for no reason. Has anybody experienced this before? I have a mobile service appt next week but just thought I'd post to see if this was a known issue.

Reactions: Propofoln
Got it. Thanks...hopefully a quick and simply fix

It happened shortly after delivery last year to me. They did not have a schematic on how to replace the spring yet so they worked for a bit and then replaced entire center console.
Same, at first they told me the whole console had to be replaced. When I finally scheduled my appointment they said they’ve learned to replace the springs without replacing the entire console.

Same, at first they told me the whole console had to be replaced. When I finally scheduled my appointment they said they’ve learned to replace the springs without replacing the entire console.

Dropped it off today at the dealership in Dallas. I mentioned the springs to them and they said they have to replace the entire console. So that’s what they are doing right now

I would love to have a part number or service bullitin for this as well. I have a 2022 and the sliding lid does not stay open. Just closed. Massive pain as you have to slightly open the lid to remove a drink. Hard to do while still keeping a hand on the yoke.

Addressing this issue was quite the saga for me. All of the details which made this take months to finally resolve aren't entirely relevant. Essentially, they could not repair the sliding door. Here's what the original mobile technician wrote as a description of the problem:

Disassembled and inspected for potential blockage and or damage. Found locating/retaining pin to be either broken or not seated properly. Not possible to access without complete disassembly of center console. Recommend replacement of upper center console assembly at service center.

They replaced the entire center console. Here was the part: CONSOLE, DECOR, 1.00 EBONY, ASY(1564416-02-E)

The reason it took so long was that one of the consoles they put in had a defective part - the magnetic strip which holds the arm wrest compartment closed was damaged and didn't seat properly. The technician finished the job and then left. Quite frustrating. They then put a second console in, and the two magnetic parts didn't actually hold the arm wrest lid closed - seems the producer had switched polarity between the magnet and the lid and the retaining strip on the console which holds the lid in the closed position. Anyway, the third time was the charm.

Also, got my front half-shafts replaced in that final appointment to address vibration issues from 35-45mph. Was happy to finally have both issues resolved.

Reactions: armedwithjello
Finally had the time to pull it and play with it. Seems the little wire that guides the slide into the locked position had somehow wiggled loose and was not guiding it any longer. Played with it a bit and it now works. Retracts a little faster than I would like, but it is retracting where it did not before. I must say, it is a PIA undoing all those stupid screws and moving the entire console just to remove the top. Also the side panels always lose a leg or two while removing. It is made of some cheap ($200) fiberboard that tends to be less strong than the metal clips that hold it in. Once it is reassembled, nobody can tell it is missing one or two mounting fins.