Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh Spotted in Ohio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the test vehicle has a normal wheel at this stage there's no way it's not going to production. They aren't gonna YOLO a completely new production drive control in 2 weeks.

Depends on what they are testing. There is not the correct trim, no 21" wheels, cupholders are fubarred, etc. If internal testing or testing a certain system, the controls are moot. If it is for certified testing - such as crash - or they are testing the controls, then you are correct. Companies test all the time like this. For all we know the yoke is standard and testing this weird one to put on as an option. This is a one vehicle sample.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I'm sure the judge will buy that explanation after the first accident when they sue and Tesla has to admit they didn't test it at all.
What is there for an automaker to “test” with a different shaped steering input?

I get that people don’t like it and think it’s the most dangerous thing to hit the road since the Pinto, but I don’t understand how that relates to your original post and what you expect needs to actually be done to replace a round wheel with a not round one.

I am quite excited to see these pics- the REAL thing!
Semi-integrated screen looks semi- good: not as nice as the current Model S but better than the 3, and better than most other cars.
Website says "360° Rear, side and forward-facing cameras provide maximum visibility" but, try as I might, I can't see a camera in the front of the car above the splitter- I was hoping to see one next to the RADAR unit. Maybe this is as Robotpedlr outlines?
I wonder if the larger cameras in the front fenders are to give a better view for 360” surround vision?

Reactions: Robotpedlr
What is there for an automaker to “test” with a different shaped steering input?

I get that people don’t like it and think it’s the most dangerous thing to hit the road since the Pinto, but I don’t understand how that relates to your original post and what you expect needs to actually be done to replace a round wheel with a not round one.

All I'm saying is if you're going to reinvent the steering wheel on a car that's literally supposed to be coming out this week you would be road testing it. This is literally the first one we've seen and there's no yoke.