Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Refresh UK Delivery - hopes raised and then dashed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a text from Tesla yesterday asking me to upload the details of my trade-in vehicle in connection with my Model S LR order. This briefly raised the hope that, despite what we have read, there would be some UK deliveries in early 2022. I checked with the Sales Centre who could not explain why I had been sent this text message other than that it was a mistake. No prospect of UK deliveries until late 2022 or possibly even 2023.

Mine was late 2022 and I got an email last week saying delivery delayed until an unknown time and would I like to swap to another car?
Well, as they said in the email they were no longer taking orders for S or X , I'll stick with my 3 !

Well my DNO has finally given approval for my charger.

All I need now is a car….
Oh dear, does the DNO approval take a long time? Did you also require a main fuse upgrade to 100A ?
I agreed to go ahead with an installer about a week ago. They are handling matters with the DNO.
With at least another seven weeks wait for the car, I don't suppose there is any need to fret over the DNO's time lines........ yet!

I believe they are required to provide a response in 45 working days (or something like that). My installer applied (i.e. on my behalf) last autumn and the DNO took about 5 months ... (that was for additional PV panels and 2nd car charger)
Thank you. I wonder if this is generally know by those considering an EV purchase.

It took several years for me to order a Tesla; the Y fit the bill ( literally) price and size wise though the S remains the real beauty of pack.

However, it's only a few weeks since I have given thought to the charging issues. It looks like the box containing my Type2 Tesla 3rd Gen will remain unopened for a while but then, the EDD window has gone south anyway.🙂

Have a pleasant Easter Day.

Oh dear, does the DNO approval take a long time? Did you also require a main fuse upgrade to 100A ?
I agreed to go ahead with an installer about a week ago. They are handling matters with the DNO.
With at least another seven weeks wait for the car, I don't suppose there is any need to fret over the DNO's time lines........ yet!
Sorry what's DNO? Do I need special approval to get the Tesla Wall Connector fitted? A Tesla electrician isn't enough? TYIA

Do I need special approval to get the Tesla Wall Connector fitted? A Tesla electrician isn't enough?

My understanding is that you (actually your Tesla Electrician will do that on your behalf) have to tell the DNO you are having a Wall Charger fitted, but they can't refuse (but for PV or battery they could or [more likely] tell you that you can install it but not export any excess you generate).

The DNO (or possibly your Sparky) may say you have a main fuse that is too small, and will fit a bigger one (sometimes for free).

Or they may say "We have no idea what size fuse you have" and send someone out to have a look (the box the fuse is in may say 100AMPs on the outside but the actual fuse inside may be smaller. Your Sparky isn't supposed to break the seal to have a look ... or a fiddle! ... but many will. "It was like that when I got here" seems to be the approach.

So there might be a lead time of sorting out your fuse if it is less than 100 AMPs, or waiting for the DNO to complete the Red Tape paperwork.

My understanding is that you (actually your Tesla Electrician will do that on your behalf) have to tell the DNO you are having a Wall Charger fitted, but they can't refuse (but for PV or battery they could or [more likely] tell you that you can install it but not export any excess you generate).

The DNO (or possibly your Sparky) may say you have a main fuse that is too small, and will fit a bigger one (sometimes for free).

Or they may say "We have no idea what size fuse you have" and send someone out to have a look (the box the fuse is in may say 100AMPs on the outside but the actual fuse inside may be smaller. Your Sparky isn't supposed to break the seal to have a look ... or a fiddle! ... but many will. "It was like that when I got here" seems to be the approach.

So there might be a lead time of sorting out your fuse if it is less than 100 AMPs, or waiting for the DNO to complete the Red Tape paperwork.
Exactly! I was equally unaware of the DNO necessity until about three weeks ago. The installer has contacted them.

The real surprise was revealed here regarding the time it can take for the DNO to do their bit.

However, as long as existing orders come with the mobile cable, I can happily keep Lizzy topped up from a three pin.

PS "Lizzy" both commemorates my late much beloved sister (2012) and the Ford Model T.

Both Henry and Elon had a momentous impact on the world of automobiles. Although the T was closer, price wise, to being the car for everyman than is the Model Y.

Choosing your colour for the T was easy: " Anything you like as long as it's black!"😀

The only application for the T was the applying by the lucky owner, of the packing case planks to form the car's floor. And so was born that most male of passions, working on the car.

Reactions: frasax
Exactly! I was equally unaware of the DNO necessity until about three weeks ago. The installer has contacted them.

The real surprise was revealed here regarding the time it can take for the DNO to do their bit.

However, as long as existing orders come with the mobile cable, I can happily keep Lizzy topped up from a three pin.

PS "Lizzy" both commemorates my late much beloved sister (2012) and the Ford Model T.

Both Henry and Elon had a momentous impact on the world of automobiles. Although the T was closer, price wise, to being the car for everyman than is the Model Y.

Choosing your colour for the T was easy: " Anything you like as long as it's black!"😀

The only application for the T was the applying by the lucky owner, of the packing case planks to form the car's floor. And so was born that most male of passions, working on the car.
PPS Henry Ford was a fan of a certain Adolf!
Let's hope we do not see Elon cosying up to a certain Vlad.

The T cost $850 back in 1908 which is about $109k in todays money.

There you go; burst my light hearted Easter Bubble why don't you! And with sophistry too.🙄

$850 initial price was slightly higher than the average US annual wage. Also, the price was reduced little by little. How else do you think he sold so many cars.

How many people in the UK do you think earn in excess of £61,590 per annum? ( MY LR Red/ white/ Gemini wheels).

Current estimated values of past costs and incomes are notoriously inaccurate and do not take into account many of the, then prevailing, life styles and conditions.

I would certainly rather work for Elon than Henry but there is no denying that the percentage of car ownership mushroomed with the advent of the model T.

There you go; burst my light hearted Easter Bubble why don't you! And with sophistry too.🙄

$850 initial price was slightly higher than the average US annual wage. Also, the price was reduced little by little. How else do you think he sold so many cars.

How many people in the UK do you think earn in excess of £61,590 per annum? ( MY LR Red/ white/ Gemini wheels).

Current estivalues of past costs and incomes are notoriously inaccurate and do not take into account many of the, then prevailing, life styles and conditions.

I would certainly rather work for Elon than Henry but there is no denying that the percentage of car ownership mushroomed with the advent of the model T.

• Funny
Reactions: delta0
The real surprise was revealed here regarding the time it can take for the DNO to do their bit

Although my example was for adding a significant extra mount of PV and a 2nd car charger, on top of the existing 16 panels but also a car charger and 2x PowerWall (the DNO will look at that lot both that I might charge 2x cars and both PowerWalls at the same time, and also that I might export all 48 PV panels AND Both PowerWalls at the same time - something I have zero intention of doing, unless they pay me a King's Ransom, ... but ...) Thus out-of-the-ordinary, but the installer was exasperated with DNO (clearly not just my installation). Might have been side effect of lockdown and/or increased number of requests - all of which may have eased somewhat by now.

Reactions: Wattsisname
Although my example was for adding a significant extra mount of PV and a 2nd car charger, on top of the existing 16 panels but also a car charger and 2x PowerWall (the DNO will look at that lot both that I might charge 2x cars and both PowerWalls at the same time, and also that I might export all 48 PV panels AND Both PowerWalls at the same time - something I have zero intention of doing, unless they pay me a King's Ransom, ... but ...) Thus out-of-the-ordinary, but the installer was exasperated with DNO (clearly not just my installation). Might have been side effect of lockdown and/or increased number of requests - all of which may have eased somewhat by now.
Here's hoping🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.