Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yoke steering wheels work on racing cars because of the turning circle, you don’t want to take your hands off the wheel during high speed turns.

Not sure how this is going to work for practical driving, unless it has some kind of variable steering ratio. I honestly don’t know how it can work.

Also I imagine some people drive with their hands at 10-to-2, or resting on the top, etc.

Hmm.

Sign of the times it seems. Cars just seem to get more and more expensive. I’m not sure manufacturers expect people to be buying them anymore, it’s all about the PCP/lease.

The purchase price just becomes something theoretical then.

Agree the interior looks better but that steering wheel looks like something out of a concept car rather than a real road car. From the looks of it the indicators are buttons on the left side of the wheel. Having briefly driven a Ferrari 458, which also has indicators attached to the wheel, the fact that they keep on moving is really confusing (and you look a right idiot when you indicate in the wrong direction). It’s one of those solutions to a problem that doesn’t exist. I guess Tesla will argue that you don’t really need it as it will be self driving but very much doubt that will be the case when the car comes out.

I think the pricing is interesting. Tesla still clearly see the Model S as the prestige car with a halo effect for model 3/Y (not saying that is a bad thing). However, that leaves a pretty big price gap between high end of model 3/Y and the base model S. My feeling is we will see some kind of "luxury" version of the model 3/Y sometime in the next 24 months to fill that gap (quieter, better suspension etc).

Agree the interior looks better but that steering wheel looks like something out of a concept car rather than a real road car. From the looks of it the indicators are buttons on the left side of the wheel. Having briefly driven a Ferrari 458, which also has indicators attached to the wheel, the fact that they keep on moving is really confusing (and you look a right idiot when you indicate in the wrong direction). It’s one of those solutions to a problem that doesn’t exist. I guess Tesla will argue that you don’t really need it as it will be self driving but very much doubt that will be the case when the car comes out.
Honestly you get used to it very quickly. It becomes very intuitive to use your thumbs to indicate.

I think the pricing is interesting. Tesla still clearly see the Model S as the prestige car with a halo effect for model 3/Y (not saying that is a bad thing). However, that leaves a pretty big price gap between high end of model 3/Y and the base model S. My feeling is we will see some kind of "luxury" version of the model 3/Y sometime in the next 24 months to fill that gap (quieter, better suspension etc).
A Plaid version potentially, 100KwH battery? Tri-motor?