Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S refresh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The outside changes may be minor, but the S has the lowest drag coefficient of any production car in the world, and pretty astonishing range. That indicates Tesla were bang on the money with the first design.

I'm happy it still looks the same - still a lovely looking car after almost 9 years!

Reactions: Tonyf and pow216
I ordered a new Model S (LR) back in November that has yet to be delivered. I just received a call from my Sales representative at Tesla to inform me that they were not going to honor my original price. They want to charge me an additional $7500. This is apparently a $2k discount off of the new list price. This is crazy. Tesla took my order for a new Model S at a specific price and they need to deliver it at that price. It is not my fault that they made some major upgrades.

Got to agree with this. The supercharger network makes the Tesla by far the best EV for long range driving. It’s far from perfect but I’ve come across much more faults with public chargers than super chargers and it’s so quick and convenient. As I mentioned before out of spec motoring beat their Tesla cannonball record in a Taycan. The only thing they were worried about was the charging network. They had quite a few problems with slow handshakes, faulty units and the car asking for too much power then stopping charging. I really don’t think Tesla should open it up.
While I agree, if they could charge other users a much higher price (like IONITY) and then use that money to deploy many more locations/larger locations it may work as others would only use them if they had too. Only issue with my theory may be fully expensed company car drivers that wouldn't be put off by the high cost!

Read your order agreement, it says otherwise.
Thanks for the input. I did re-read the order agreement and could not find any content that stated that Tesla could change the price of the car, if I don't change my configuration. The only price variations referenced were related to taxes and fees, which would be finalized 'closer to delivery date'. Can you help me by providing the specific content you are referring to? Thanks.

Thanks for the input. I did re-read the order agreement and could not find any content that stated that Tesla could change the price of the car, if I don't change my configuration. The only price variations referenced were related to taxes and fees, which would be finalized 'closer to delivery date'. Can you help me by providing the specific content you are referring to? Thanks.

That is why they are asking if you want to change your order, for a $2k discount, or they will cancel it and refund your $100:

Order Cancellation.png

That is why they are asking if you want to change your order, for a $2k discount, or they will cancel it and refund your $100:

View attachment 631953
Thanks. I read that section but had a different interpretation. You are thinking that Tesla feels they have 'discontinued a product, feature or option' with the release of the new Model S. You could be right, but since they did not bother to even rename the product they are selling me (Model S, LR), I am sure I am not the only one to have a different interpretation of what they are doing. Thanks again for taking the time to point this out. It will be interesting to see if they receive much push back for this.

You are thinking that Tesla feels they have 'discontinued a product, feature or option' with the release of the new Model S. You could be right, but since they did not bother to even rename the product they are selling me (Model S, LR), I am sure I am not the only one to have a different interpretation of what they are doing.

They did discontinue what you ordered. Didn't you order a "2021 Model S Long Range Plus"? They no longer sell that, they now have a "2021 Model S Long Range". (Notice the lack of the "Plus"?)

The EPA requires them to change something to rate/list a vehicle differently:
  • Year? Still 2021.
  • Model? Still Model S.
  • Variant/trim? Changed, it is no longer a Long Range Plus.
They changed all of the Model S variants:
  • "Long Range Plus" to "Long Range"
  • "Performance" to "Plaid"
  • "Plaid" to "Plaid+"
Old variants/trims:
Old Model S.png

New variants/trims:
New Model S.png

Last edited:
Although it's keeping to a theme so doesn't appear a radical rethink, I really like the look of the new interior in the main. If as suggested it's also better put together and quieter it may feel quite a bit more "premium" than the current S. Plus I was always a bit disappointed I couldn't have ventilated seats.

Better recline to the back seats and more of a wrap around from the front seats, plus door pockets, better phone charging etc are all things that would be a material improvement too. No CCS can only be because this is only really a superficial refresh.

On the exterior I was expecting much more change but this modest change is fine too. I still think my S is a good looking car.

I can't really see why you'd do away with the stalks but I'd like to try this before judging. Ditto the wheel if it ever makes production. All could be fine. Or a pain.

However, I don't think it's acceptable to continue selling cars with the same headlights and wiper and dimming automation as my S has. Those things have to be improved and matrix headlights would surely solve both the 2 second dim/full delay and the general weakness of the lighting.

It would also be disappointing to me to see them release a refresh car without incorporating a set of cameras/sensors that works in the dark and moderately wet.

I don't like Tesla's approach of prioritising new features over tackling the bad points. So I'm glad I'm not thinking about another car at this point, because my guess is the negatives about my car are largely still there with this. Hopefully in 3 years we'll have good lights and better poor weather performance.

Smarter headlights are a no brainer at this price point.

It remains perplexing to me that a company that is so hot on its AI and camera tech has such hopelessly incompetent headlights. I can’t even trust auto high beam on my Model 3 and that’s a well and truly solved problem with a single camera and/or relatively cheap sensors, let alone multiple cameras.

Somehow the car can’t even detect rear lights and we’re supposed to believe FSD is really on the horizon? I get the feeling that these sorts of problems aren’t sexy enough to spend man hours on, it’s like they’re all vanity projects that get to 60-80% completion before the architect gets bored.

Plaid ordered.

I doubt the yoke steering wheel will make it to production, and neither will just having FSD do the gear changes. So that leaves the risk that the force touch buttons (including the ones they will need to have for gear changes) will be troublesome, but I will appreciate the suspension, noise cancellation and the quality of the interior over my 2017 P100DL.

..and FWIW per earlier in the thread about the Taycan, drove it - hated it. Crap Porsche ergonomics with buttons galore. No hatch, minimal storage, tight back seat (the S is our family car). It was quiet, though.

And TBH neither the S nor the Taycan cut it as a real performance car. Neither have any feel through the steering, turn in slowly and even with the extra gear the Taycan drops sharply after 60 or once on the go compared to the weekender Mac.

..and FWIW per earlier in the thread about the Taycan, drove it - hated it. Crap Porsche ergonomics with buttons galore. No hatch, minimal storage, tight back seat (the S is our family car). It was quiet, though.

And TBH neither the S nor the Taycan cut it as a real performance car. Neither have any feel through the steering, turn in slowly and even with the extra gear the Taycan drops sharply after 60 or once on the go compared to the weekender Mac.

I'm not that surprised about the Taycan. A lifetime Porsche fan here who has lost interest in the brand since Tesla arrived on the scene. I would still like to drive the Taycan out of curiosity, but I'm not expecting to be blown away by it. Porsche diehards who have no Tesla EV experience will no doubt think the electric drivetrain is amazing. Porsche owners also seem to have a fetish for buttons and hatred of touchscreens. The whole company just seems to be held back by its own legacy and old fart customers who want nothing to change.

Reactions: 12Pack
Interesting comments, but Tesla has announced a huge increase in orders for S/X since this reveal. They have ramped up production accordingly and their order books are full.

While some will not order with the price increase and new configuration, even more will find this offering appealing and vote with their checkbooks.

Many posts from current owners say they were hesitant to trade in their existing Model S/X for a new one that was essentially the same experience. Believe this car will give a fresh and better ownership experience.

Reactions: Peteski